BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust manifold removal

3 posters

Go down

Exhaust manifold removal Empty Exhaust manifold removal

Post  njstang87 November 5th 2012, 12:41 pm

I have a 1989 F250 with a 460 and need to remove the driver side exhaust manifold. This truck is a plow truck so it is very rusty. There is about a 1/4" gap between the head and manifold on the front port that has rusted away which is the reason I need to change it. I do have a torch and there isn't a lot of room to swing a hammer to get a good hit on the bolts to try to break them loose.

Do any of you have any tips or tricks that may be helpful to me? I usually try to tighten it first before I try to back it out. Should I heat the bolts up with the torch? Thanks

njstang87

Back to top Go down

Exhaust manifold removal Empty Re: Exhaust manifold removal

Post  56Tbird November 5th 2012, 1:25 pm

I wouldn't try to heat the bolts,the head is what needs to be heated if your heating anything. The bolt will twist right into if you heat it.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 5th 2012, 2:07 pm

Heat the head at the bolt and when its red poor water on it till its cool and the bolt will come right out,
but work it back&forth as your taking it out.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  njstang87 November 6th 2012, 11:15 am

res0rli9 wrote:Heat the head at the bolt and when its red poor water on it till its cool and the bolt will come right out,
but work it back&forth as your taking it out.

Thank you for the response. Just so I understand why do I want to cool the head off with water right after I have heated it? How much do I want to cool it down before I start to remove the bolt? Thanks

njstang87

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 6th 2012, 11:25 am

Heat the head around the bolt when it just starts to turn red cool it with the water, that will brake the two apart but work the bolt back and forth as your taking it out slow and easy. Once its lose spray some WD40/CRC on it to help.Most will only take one time but some Ive had to heat twice. Poor enough water to cool it and try it right after you poor the water on it.Heat the top and sides around the bolt.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down