BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed with ring package

2 posters

Go down

Help needed with ring package Empty Help needed with ring package

Post  hpwdboss1 November 6th 2012, 2:22 pm

I'm preparing to build a fresh bottom end for my tractor and need to ask questions before I buy any parts.
Am I correct in thinking that a narrow ring / low tension ring would create less drag, therefore freeing up horsepower as compared to my standard tension/wide ring set in the current assembly? If so, would my crankcase vacumn system that is in the collector create enough vac to allow a different ring to work properly? I don't want to run a belt drive due to shielding requirements. So I guess my question is: what is the most advantageous way to set up a ring package for me.
I run 15:1+ compression ratio, 6K max rpm, Rocket brand gas, Brad Penn oil, and leave the line about 2200rpm. The engine turns about 5800 for 14 to 16 seconds.
This class is so competitive that a very small advantage make alot of difference.
I'll have more to ask, I know but this is a start
Perry
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Help needed with ring package Empty Re: Help needed with ring package

Post  Lem Evans November 6th 2012, 5:58 pm

You could do .043" dwall top and 3/16" low tension oil ring very easy with the evac. system. If a vac. pump is allowed the .043" backcut / .043" backcut / 3mm will take a lot of ring drag out of the engine.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Help needed with ring package Empty re: ring package

Post  hpwdboss1 November 6th 2012, 10:58 pm

Thanks Lem!
No, we don't have vac pumps. What sort of second ring would I want to run considering the setup? Would a Napier 2nd ring be appropriate? I ask that after watching my old BBF seminar dvd with a presentation by Kaase.
How high up on the piston should the ring package be?
By the way, The cam you spec'd for me this summer worked very well indeed! Very Happy
Came out for the 2nd half of the season and took two 1st place, a second, a 4th and a 5th! cheers
Thanks again
Perry
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Help needed with ring package Empty Re: Help needed with ring package

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down