BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem

+2
bb429power
Captainp4
6 posters

Go down

c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem Empty c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem

Post  Captainp4 June 10th 2013, 7:50 pm

Hi, I'm posting here from recommendation of a friend. I just finished installing the transgo shift kit and a new trans pan on my c6 in 78 460 Bronco and I'm having a problem. In reverse it doesn't seem to want to move unless you rev the crap out of it and even then not very much. In drive/1st it engages and pulls as soon as shifted. I did not have the space to try leaving in drive and letting it shift to second, so unsure if that works correctly at the moment.

I used a PML pan, new filter, and dexIII/m fluid if any of that is important. And just because I think it looks so good, PML makes a real quality piece even if it is a bit pricey:

c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem 966982_595017561212_510134436_o

Edit: It feels like when the fluid is low and it sort of grabs but still slips... In fact I over filled it because being a dumbass I wasn't checking the fluid level as I filled, just going by how it felt when shifted into gear. Not sure if being over filled would cause this problem.

Captainp4

Back to top Go down

c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem Empty Re: c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem

Post  bb429power June 10th 2013, 9:11 pm

I am not very knowledgeable on transmissions but that looks like a deep sump pan, do you have the filter spaced down or sitting lower like the pan is or the stock filter? I ran into that issue with a c4 but it didn't act up like yours is doing.

An expert will be here shortly with an idea or answer study
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem Empty Re: c6 with transgo shift kit .. problem

Post  Captainp4 June 10th 2013, 9:20 pm

I used a stock style filter/pickup. Seems like it would have problems both directions if it was a pickup problem, but I'm no expert either.

Captainp4

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power June 10th 2013, 11:30 pm

I just did a transgo kit in mine maybe a month ago, it was the 1 2 "reprogrammer" which is what they told me to go with. Which kit did you install? Did the problems start after the kit or were there any pre existing problems? Maybe a check ball or spring is amiss in some way. And you're probably right about the pan depth causing an issue forward and back.

Also, did you install the valve body gasket? Sounds dumb but I've seen many people say not to use it because it "could cause issues if it breaks down the road"...I used it Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Captainp4 June 10th 2013, 11:55 pm

Same kit, 1-2 reprogrammer. No problems before hand.

Installed the gasket between the two halves of the valve body if that's what you're asking.

I'm thinking something is just slightly off or misaligned, but came here to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious before I tore it all apart again.

Captainp4

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust June 11th 2013, 7:10 am

I'd be rechecking the kit is installed right . Something amiss there .
All the end covers tightened last? The reverse clutch is also used in 3rd gear so need to see if 3rd has an issue as well. You have the modulator out? Valve refitted in correct way?

Really do need a deep filter for that pan to work correctly but as long as the oil level is up now enough for the filter that wont be the issue

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Captainp4 June 11th 2013, 2:53 pm

I did tighten the end covers before putting the halves back together, didn't read that part til after I had them tightened down, guess that might be more important than I thought.. lol

Captainp4

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 11th 2013, 7:43 pm

especially if there sitting proud to the mating surface
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 June 11th 2013, 9:57 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:especially if there sitting proud to the mating surface
Frank

Sounds likely..

On a similar note.. I managed to forget to torque down the VB bolts the first time I set up a C6.. it "shifted" all sorts of goofy, if at all.. Embarassed
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Captainp4 June 11th 2013, 11:11 pm

Well started it up earlier, reverse worked fine.. but felt like it was slipping in the upper end of 1st and didn't really want to shift to 2nd without slippage. Not enough room in driveway to make it to 3rd.

So I tore it all apart again and checked spring placement and all looked good. Followed the directions this time for reassembly. Did find some junk in one of the channels in the VB so cleaned all that up. Just came in from putting it all back together and dumping some fluid in. Too later here to start it up right now and check, so will have to wait 'til tomorrow for the verdict.

I also accidentally pushed the large springy clip piece in too far and it got turned around so I couldn't get it back out. Not sure if this will affect anything, but I couldn't get that thing out.

Captainp4

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 12th 2013, 7:56 am

Paul, if that don't work, come grab my spare valvebody and run it!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down