BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can somebody review my engine specs?

+3
rmcomprandy
bosshoss
AUDIOADDICT02
7 posters

Go down

Can somebody review my engine specs? Empty Can somebody review my engine specs?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 August 31st 2013, 12:08 am

What's up guys, newbie "performance" 460 builder here. I have traded up autosound for performance engine builds, hopefully someone can help me out here since I haven't got much, if any.

From doing my research, this is what I'm about to put together:

D9te- 2 bolt main block
Flat top pistons (4.20) 4.40" bore
Stock truck "football" rods
Zero deck
.038 ford racing composite hg(for proper quench)
Stock ci heads(from '84 f250) 92cc iirc, will be cc'd for accuracy
Lunati voodoo 241/249(slighty oversized, requiring 10.5:1 cr)

With those specs, my engine will be at 10:1 cr,
Will that .5 compression really make a huge difference in performance? With that hg thickness I should be safe from detonation on 91 octane, correct? Also, will I risk piston to head collision with that hg?

Thanks in advance. I'm open to suggestions from those with experience with these beasty engines.

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Can somebody review my engine specs? Empty Re: Can somebody review my engine specs?

Post  bosshoss August 31st 2013, 5:46 am

No worries on piston to head clearance. A little bit of work in the exhaust ports with a die grinder plus a good valve job by a competent guy that knows about performance and three angle valve jobs etc will go a long ways to improving your overall performance.

Number two rule is keep oil going to the bearings at all times. A good pan and a well designed system with the correct clearances will be a priority.

Lastly be vewy vewy careful installing the cam and lifters. Make sure the cam gear is tight and the bolt is torqued correctly with a nice big washer to hold it. Make sure all the lifters slide in nice and easy so they will rotate on startup. Follow the cam break in procedure closely and all should be well.

What kind of vehicle will you be using this in?

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Can somebody review my engine specs? Empty Re: Can somebody review my engine specs?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 August 31st 2013, 9:17 am

Thanks for your reply. I have yet to find a reputable performance machinist local to me, most of them only do stock rebuilding, once I do, I will take my heads in. I have a hv oil pump so i'd imagine getting oil through the block should not be a problem.

This engine will either be going in a light foxbody or a gutted f250 with no bed.

I have another question: Would it be better to run the 92cc heads for a 10:1 cr, or could I run c3ve's(75cc, iirc) at 11.679:1 cr(kind of extreme for pump gas), BUT with a dynamic effective cr of 8.378? If Idid the math correctly (241-180+15), according to the uem calculator.

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 31st 2013, 9:49 am

That camshaft will NOT fit with stock heads.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 August 31st 2013, 9:59 am

I was told to cut the valve guides & upgrade springs & retainers, or will that still not work?

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 31st 2013, 11:47 am

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:I was told to cut the valve guides & upgrade springs & retainers, or will that still not work?
Then it will fit ... as long as the piston to valve clearance is fine.
How well it WORKS will be determined.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 August 31st 2013, 1:46 pm

Ok, I mocked everything up & ptv clearance seemed fine when I measured it. Only thing I'm wondering is if Iwill lose too much power since the cam asks for 10.5:1 cr & all Ican get without swapping pistons is 10:1, or will it be fine? (Kinda screwed up since I bought parts before figuring out the intended use of the engine, so now I'm trying to build around my mismatched parts :/ , hopefully it won't be too bad)

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 31st 2013, 11:44 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Ok, I mocked everything up & ptv clearance seemed fine when I measured it. Only thing I'm wondering is if Iwill lose too much power since the cam asks for 10.5:1 cr & all Ican get without swapping pistons is 10:1, or will it be fine? (Kinda screwed up since I bought parts before figuring out the intended use of the engine, so now I'm trying to build around my mismatched parts :/  , hopefully it won't be too bad)        
you'll never miss 1/2 a point.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 1st 2013, 12:00 am

X2,it's not like you have to squeeze the last ounce from it.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 September 1st 2013, 12:36 pm

Ok, cool, kinda what I wanted to hear! I feel safer running 10:1 on pump gas anyway, so I guess I'll be just fine with my setup.

This isn't going to be a race engine, I just want to build a mean street machine that's fun to drive! Thanks guys!

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 1st 2013, 8:46 pm

At 10:1 and cast heads, I t would be a good idea to buff or polish your combustion chambers and piston tops to rid them of any sharp edges or anything that would pick up heat.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 September 2nd 2013, 2:50 am

Yea, combustion chambers & exhaust ports will be polished, 3 angle valve job(once I find a reputable performance machine shop near me) will be done on the heads.Planning to swap in a performer rpm & a dp750 holley for the top end...

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 4th 2013, 7:10 am

I am not positive with the newer heads, but with the cam and comprssion you have you might want to try a Weiand Steath ##8021 intake and portmatch your heads to it. It is the SCJ version, and is an old Ford trick that was done with the Dove and other old heads with standard ports and the cast iron SCJ intake. It was supposed to make 25 more horsepower by just bolting it on without portmatching the heads, over the stock 4v intake. Just a suggestion. Should be a stout combo, either way.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 September 5th 2013, 2:12 am

Thanks for that suggestion, I've always wanted to run a w&s I'm, but was sold on the edelbrock performer rpm since everybody had such great reviews on it. That w&s I'm seems promising, might just go with it. I have c8ve heads, but my cr will be 11+:1, so I think I'm going to go with d3ve's.
Would do aluminum heads, but my budget won't allow this time, it's either new heads or new car. :/

AUDIOADDICT02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum