BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a couple pics from archery season...

+2
Dave C.
ThndrChkn
6 posters

Go down

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Empty Here's a couple pics from archery season...

Post  ThndrChkn September 18th 2013, 12:12 am

Here's a couple of pics of my friend Marshall's bull elk he harvested a few days ago...
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Twe0

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Lia8

This one is a classic case of wrong place, wrong time... Up here we have alot of beetle killed timber, and this poor fella looks to have been KO'd by one of such trees that was blown down by a recent storm... And to think, alot of hunters hunt long and hard to harvest an animal like this one... This one was appearantly found by a friend of a friend while on an excursion recently... 'Ol Mother Nature sure can be cruel...
Here's a couple pics from archery season... 11iz
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Empty Re: Here's a couple pics from archery season...

Post  Dave C. September 18th 2013, 12:35 am

Kinda sad.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Empty Re: Here's a couple pics from archery season...

Post  70FB September 18th 2013, 8:18 am

Talk about some bad luck. Good pictures though. 12 more days until bow opens here. Counting them down.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet September 18th 2013, 9:53 am

Hey brother!! some nice bulls there!!.

Have a request for you...

I'm in search of a bow. has to be a PSE monarch shoot thru.....

If you ever run into one please let me know.

I just missed one on EBAY... only went for $202.
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 18th 2013, 11:09 am

blown86hallet wrote:Hey brother!!   some nice bulls there!!.

Have a request for you...

I'm in search of a bow.  has to be a PSE monarch shoot thru.....  

If you ever run into one please let me know.  

I just missed one on EBAY...  only went for $202.

I'll do some checkin' and let ya know if there's anything out this way...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 18th 2013, 9:17 pm

Here's a couple I took from around 3/4 mile, through my binoculars, with my cell phone... Turned out pretty good considering...

Here's a couple pics from archery season... 9nf2

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Bg3v
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Here's a couple pics from archery season... Empty backstraps

Post  pro64 September 27th 2013, 7:54 am

just fired up the grill .what time will you be here......bounce 

pro64

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 3rd 2013, 10:41 am

Well, still no elk for my son or myself, but with the priceless time spent with my son in the field, and getting to hunt an area I haven't been in since I guided there 15 yrs ago, I can't say I've ever had a better time hunting...

Here are a couple of local guys with their harvests from last week:

This one is from a trophy management unit, 10-12 miles from my house:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Puwj

This is a kid that went to high school with my son... This is a BIG 5x5:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Np4e

Here are a few of a nice young bull moose 2 days before the snowfall... I took these and all of the pics with my cell phone... These, through my binoculars from 818 yds:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... P9xg
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Ccl8
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Mfnn

Then we got 10" of nice fresh, heavy & wet snow:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Cryl
Here's a couple pics from archery season... M7df

Here is the track of a rather large grizzly that crossed the two-track we were on, about 50 yds behind the truck...  The pics don't do these tracks justice, as I was able to put my fists side by side inside the front print, and nearly so in the rears... There's also nearly 2" between the toes on this feller... My father-in-law & I figured he was about 800# or so...

Front:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Ca3p
Rear:
Here's a couple pics from archery season... G3ln

This pic is from the last day of my hunt before the weather got bad...  This is a very nice 6x6 bull (320" or so) that I saw while trying to locate a much bigger bull I saw at first light; a HUUUGE 7x7 that would score in the 380"+ range...  I never wouldv'e thought that an animal so big could just vanish in the sagebrush like he did, but well, he did... scratch scratch 
As you can see in the pic, due to terrain layout, there was no possible way to get in on these elk to get a bow shot... That and just after I took this pic, the wind started blowing so hard I could hardly stand... This one also through my binoculars from about a mile away
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Iwya

Like I said, though we never took an elk on this trip, the quality time spent with my son in the field was priceless!! I can't recall when I've had more fun hunting, and that's what it's all about, the experience... Now to top it off, my daughter went out and bought herself a new bow... It's the new BowTech Heartbreaker, and she's getting pretty stoked to hit the elk woods next fall...  What more could I ask for?
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. October 3rd 2013, 12:19 pm

Smile!!! Smile 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 5th 2013, 9:20 pm

Nice kill, esp. with a bow. Great pictures also. Can you carry a your 454, durning bow season for bear protection?

Last edited by supervel45 on October 5th 2013, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 5th 2013, 11:09 pm

Yes, we're allowed to carry pistols during archery season...
I had mine right next to me in the truck... The bear crossed the road behind us as we were driving up the road/trail ...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 6th 2013, 3:28 pm

That's good. I think I would stay home if I could not, and wait for gun season if bears were around. I hear Elk hunting is the hardest of all, and I can not even phathom doing it with a bow. The Indians could take 15-20 hunters and circle them, that would make it a little easier?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 7th 2013, 8:28 pm

I rarely pack it when I'm bowhunting, not enough room...  Between my pack, my hip quiver full of arrows, yada yada yada... For the most part I'll just take my chances with the bears...   Besides, in most cases, they're more afraid of man than the other way around... Wink

Elk hunting is hard... Especially if you have to do it on public land and compete with everyone else... Like yesterday, I left my truck @ 7:10 a.m. and didn't get back until 7:45 p.m. I had gotten in to a big herd and had a shot at a huge 7x7 bull @ 47 yds but he wouldn't stop walking... And with 40 other cow elk talking to each other, my cow calls to try and stop him were futile, at best... LOL!! Long story short, as I got back on them in another canyon, it had slipped my mind that BLM lands were open to any jackass riding a 4 wheeler, and that's what happened... What took me more than 3 hrs to cover on foot they covered in about 15-20 min from a trailhead on the other side... Therefore, ruining my hunting for the day...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 8th 2013, 8:14 am

Hope you have better luck next time. When you get one the work really begins, getting it back to the truck I bet. I hear the bears are sometimes a problem after you kill an Elk, and they come around when you are gutting it, for the left overs. Seems like a horse and a rifle, would make it alot easier, but I guess you get early season, and more hunting time with a bow, so it's all good.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 11th 2013, 9:48 am

Here's a few from yesterday before I went to work... There's 4 different bulls here, but I didn't have much time to put a stalk on so I just hope I can get back on em tomorrow... Sorry about the quality, but they were taken from about 3/4 of a mile with my phone through my binos...

Here's a couple pics from archery season... 56gh
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Zy1b
Here's a couple pics from archery season... 1ino
Here's a couple pics from archery season... 6ny4
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Wn38
Here's a couple pics from archery season... 71qv

This feller never did pick up his head, but I'm thinkin he's the big 7x7 I was on last Sunday... He sure is wide...
Here's a couple pics from archery season... Ys6h
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down