BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just thinking out loud!

+5
Paul Kane
richter69
schmitty
v-twin
nitrous.f
9 posters

Go down

just thinking out loud! Empty just thinking out loud!

Post  nitrous.f October 15th 2013, 8:16 pm

was thinking about building my motor the other day!and I thought about my block I have(d1ve) block. and came to the conclusion that if the block can only stand about 800-900hp! why even put a forged crank in it when I can just get a brand new scat 9000 series crankshaft,which is suppose to be good to about 800hp, they list it to 900hp. so buying a forged crank that can handle 1000-1200hp when the block can only handle 800-900hp is over kill unless you are going to step up your combo in the future! which you will need a a460 block ($2000) or more could be wrong but close! which I do not have right now! and most people on here are not looking to make 1000hp+ so why not just buy the parts for what the block is  limited to anyway, and put the surplus money some were else in the car! just thinking out loud!study let me know what you think!
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

just thinking out loud! Empty Re: just thinking out loud!

Post  v-twin October 15th 2013, 8:45 pm

I'm running 8.90's stock block 4.390 bore scat 4.300. that 8.90 is Bristol at 3900' Atlanta would be 8.70. The block is pretty strong the unbalance and high rpm's are the killer
v-twin
v-twin

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 15th 2013, 9:31 pm

A lot of the time, the cheap initial cost of the cast crank comes close to the total cost of the forged crank when you figure in what it costs to balance them both. The forged cranks are only a few dollars more, but well worth it in the long run.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f October 15th 2013, 10:25 pm

schmitty wrote:A lot of the time, the cheap initial cost of the cast crank comes close to the total cost of the forged crank when you figure in what it costs to balance them both. The forged cranks are only a few dollars more, but well worth it in the long run.
smitty I respect what your saying about the crank price difference,but that's not really the problem! its the block that iam building everything around! so knowing that I will limit myself to the stock blocks hp limit and not push it pass that! so cast crank will do well!Wink 
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 15th 2013, 10:58 pm

the block will take more if the crank aint wigglin all over the place imo.......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 17th 2013, 10:48 am

nitrous.f wrote:... I thought about my block I have (d1ve) block. and came to the conclusion that if the block can only stand about 800-900hp! why even put a forged crank in it when I can just get a brand new scat 9000 series crankshaft, which is suppose to be good to about 800hp...so buying a forged crank that can handle 1000-1200hp when the block can only handle 800-900hp is over kill unless you are going to step up your combo in the future!  which you will need a a460 block ($2000) or more could be wrong but close!  let me know what you think!
Whoa, 900 hp?  That's insane!  affraid  I don't think there's a cast block in the world that can handle 900 hp. You better contact CN Blocks and ask if they can make a billet one out it titanium, then the block will be up to the job.

http://www.cnblocks.com/

Wink
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f October 20th 2013, 5:29 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
nitrous.f wrote:... I thought about my block I have (d1ve) block. and came to the conclusion that if the block can only stand about 800-900hp! why even put a forged crank in it when I can just get a brand new scat 9000 series crankshaft, which is suppose to be good to about 800hp...so buying a forged crank that can handle 1000-1200hp when the block can only handle 800-900hp is over kill unless you are going to step up your combo in the future!  which you will need a a460 block ($2000) or more could be wrong but close!  let me know what you think!
Whoa, 900 hp?  That's insane!  affraid  I don't think there's a cast block in the world that can handle 900 hp. You better contact CN Blocks and ask if they can make a billet one out it titanium, then the block will be up to the job.

i don't understand paul! people on here claim to have run there blocks passed 800-900hp all day long!study 

Wink
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace October 20th 2013, 6:30 pm

Don't waste your money on the scat 9000. I had one and ran it for 105 passes and found it had 5 cracks. I think Lunati has the best bang for the buck right now. Don't buy an Ohio crankshaft as buy the time your done you will have to have it ground. The final finish sucks.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f October 20th 2013, 8:53 pm

powerstroke were  was the cracks at on the crank? and what kind of power was you putting to it?Shocked
o and powerstroke if you got 105 passes out of that crank, the average person runs about 25 passes a year,so that would almost add up to about 3-4 years of service! good enough for me!Surprised 

Last edited by nitrous.f on October 20th 2013, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace October 20th 2013, 9:00 pm

We had this is a 514 Motorsport "A" headed motor maybe close to 850 900ish in 1750lbs dragster running very soft. shifted at 6800 and crossed the stripe at 6800. running 8.30-8.40. i think We had a 105 runs and freshened the motor to find it was ready to pull the pin. All the cracks were on the rod jurnals

ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f October 20th 2013, 9:11 pm

check out v-twins motor with his cast steel crank and et times! not bad for a 521 cast crank motor: shock: 
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney October 20th 2013, 10:26 pm

I've used a scat cast 4.300 since '09, probably 100-150 hrs of street/abuse per yr. made 700h/650tq fresh. Gonna go through it, and at a minimum put a steel crank for peace if mind. I've seen a friends run 10 yrs in a similar 6500rpm rig, and finally broke on a normal pass. As Adney Brown told me, as long as it doesn't detenate, it can help make alot of power. But the life span under hard use is gonna be shorter than a forged unit, by how much is a bit of a guess. Bottom line, if you can afford it and plan on long-term hard use, I'd upgrade. 
As far as the block, we've seen even 2 bolt stock caps live a long life, bolted or studded. This is in at least 4 combos I know of personally, making 650-750 ish Also, know a few guys making 900-1000@ 7000-7500 RPM with good caps and a partial fill stock blocks.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney October 20th 2013, 10:28 pm

Very Happy 
 richter69 wrote:the block will take more if the crank aint wigglin all over the place imo.......
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger October 20th 2013, 11:43 pm

900hp huh? What about resale value?
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 21st 2013, 12:14 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:900hp huh? What about resale value?
if all your thinking about is resale value your in the wrong hobby......Laughing 
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger October 21st 2013, 1:22 am

dfree383 wrote:
bigblok2000ranger wrote:900hp huh? What about resale value?
if all your thinking about is resale value your in the wrong hobby......Laughing 
Very true!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 21st 2013, 11:43 am

nitrous.f wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
nitrous.f wrote: ... I thought about my block I have (d1ve) block. and came to the conclusion that if the block can only stand about 800-900hp! why even put a forged crank in it when I can just get a brand new scat 9000 series crankshaft, which is suppose to be good to about 800hp...so buying a forged crank that can handle 1000-1200hp when the block can only handle 800-900hp is over kill unless you are going to step up your combo in the future!  which you will need a a460 block ($2000) or more could be wrong but close!  let me know what you think!

Wink
i don't understand paul! people on here claim to have run there blocks passed 800-900hp all day long!study 
It was just an attempt at humor. In most cases the block will be fine; of course the more power you ask of any engine component the more attention it will need. I don't know the detals of your build and application, and whether or not any part is being used beyond its breaking point is another subject altogether.

Based only on your target hp numbers: if you are talking about a stroker engine then I would recommend the offshore forged crankshaft over the offshore cast one.  And in regards to your using hp power levels as a conclusion that a forged crankshaft would be "overkill," consider that there will always be a stongest component and a weakest component in any engine combination.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 21st 2013, 11:51 am

powerstrokeace wrote:Don't waste your money on the scat 9000. I had one and ran it for 105 passes and found it had 5 cracks. I think Lunati has the best bang for the buck right now. Don't buy an Ohio crankshaft as buy the time your done you will have to have it ground. The final finish sucks.

Ace
100+ drag racing passes out of a "few hundred dollar" crankshaft that (I suspect) is made out of recycled car unibodies and melted down coat hangers is some pretty good usage value.   And most components, new or used, require pre-inspection and adjustment prior to going into a high performance build...at least at the cost levels we're discussing here.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f October 21st 2013, 12:55 pm

study 
Paul Kane wrote:
nitrous.f wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
nitrous.f wrote: ... I thought about my block I have (d1ve) block. and came to the conclusion that if the block can only stand about 800-900hp! why even put a forged crank in it when I can just get a brand new scat 9000 series crankshaft, which is suppose to be good to about 800hp...so buying a forged crank that can handle 1000-1200hp when the block can only handle 800-900hp is over kill unless you are going to step up your combo in the future!  which you will need a a460 block ($2000) or more could be wrong but close!  let me know what you think!

Wink
It was just an attempt at humor. In most cases the block will be fine; of course the more power you ask of any engine component the more attention it will need. I don't know the detals of your build and application, and whether or not any part is being used beyond its breaking point is another subject altogether.

Based only on your target hp numbers: if you are talking about a stroker engine then I would recommend the offshore forged crankshaft over the offshore cast one.  And in regards to your using hp power levels as a conclusion that a forged crankshaft would be "overkill," consider that there will always be a stongest component and a weakest component in any engine combination.

Paul
thanks paul! i like it it when you beat me with a belt and not a hanger! just jugging at you! will which my tune and keep the hp to a minumin!study 
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

just thinking out loud! Empty stock block

Post  v-twin November 1st 2013, 8:29 pm

as for hp#, there's a t-bird in ga running 7's on stock ford block cast crank. I'm not afraid of mine. There are people here with a lot more money in there engine than I have and we are running same #.s and on top of all, mine is external balanced. If ford can do it and live why can't I. As for rpm's when I'm in the air If car is going straight I want let up until I feel the steering so sometimes the rpm's goes to 7800
v-twin
v-twin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace November 2nd 2013, 12:03 am

Paul Kane wrote:
powerstrokeace wrote:Don't waste your money on the scat 9000. I had one and ran it for 105 passes and found it had 5 cracks. I think Lunati has the best bang for the buck right now. Don't buy an Ohio crankshaft as buy the time your done you will have to have it ground. The final finish sucks.

Ace
100+ drag racing passes out of a "few hundred dollar" crankshaft that (I suspect) is made out of recycled car unibodies and melted down coat hangers is some pretty good usage value.   And most components, new or used, require pre-inspection and adjustment prior to going into a high performance build...at least at the cost levels we're discussing here.

Paul

Paul this crank sold for $900 back in 2000. So I was expectingore than 105 passes. Now you can buy the pos for under $400

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down