BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low/Reverse Piston

3 posters

Go down

Low/Reverse Piston Empty Low/Reverse Piston

Post  460bronco October 30th 2013, 1:10 pm

My Low/Revers piston doesn't have the check ball. What advantages would there be to finding one with the check ball if any for my re-build? I'm trying to follow Frank's build sheet as closely as possible!
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Low/Reverse Piston Empty Re: Low/Reverse Piston

Post  J.Toney November 4th 2013, 12:44 am

From what I know/think, it'll help the piston potentially release faster when its turned off, basically a bleed. I just drilled a .030 hole for the same effect. I've also ran them with no hole, no problems with them as of yet. These are on non AND transbrake apps.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco November 4th 2013, 8:55 pm

I've never laid eyes on one of these old style pistons... Do you know if there are any dimensional differences besides the checkball.. Such as height?

Just me thinking here--- I would prefer the circuit without a bleed hole... Seems like the checkball/ added bleed hole would just lower the apply pressure and potentially make it easier to slip the clutch??
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney November 4th 2013, 10:32 pm

From what I've seen, all low-reverse pistons interchange. But the hole and retainers can be different. As far as the bleed, there is more than enough oil back there to apply the clutch. It's not a 1" hole, just a controlled bleed to help the piston return when feed oil is lost. I've run them both ways, but with the hole makes me feel better in a scenario where the clutch is applied in manual low, and needs to overlap with the band on a 1-2 shift. 
My .02
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 13th 2013, 8:36 pm

The new style piston ie; with no check ball is shorter so you have to use the wave plate in the low/reverse
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down