BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lean cylinders?

5 posters

Go down

lean cylinders? Empty lean cylinders?

Post  460Dave October 23rd 2014, 7:24 pm

I am trying to "fine tune" my combo for some nitrous. Are you aware of any notoriously lean cylinders I should look out for? 545 cu inch P51 heads and Mafia intake. If I am not asking this correctly, please humor me. Always willing to learn.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

lean cylinders? Empty Re: lean cylinders?

Post  FalconEh October 23rd 2014, 7:52 pm

Typically any intake that the runners are not equal length, the longest runners will be the leanest. The 4-corners with a TFS sgl 4, but the plugs will always tell the story, change them lots and minimize the idiling time prior to reading, if you can shut down after a pass an tow back, the plug reading will be more accurate.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T October 23rd 2014, 8:56 pm

from my experience I always start tuning the carb for all motor to see were it is first before any nos.if it is lean jet the carb up until you see a medium color not "dark". all cylinders dosent have to be perfect but they should show color on the plugs.i use 5820 ngk plugs in my 572 p51 headed motor and the autolite AR3932 both are gaped at .024 ready to use out of the box.

I do have the tfs intake on my motor #8 cylinder is leaner than the rest but my cam has the 2&8 firing order swap.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 24th 2014, 10:17 am

460Dave wrote:I am trying to "fine tune" my combo for some nitrous.  Are you aware of any notoriously lean cylinders I should look out for?  545 cu inch P51 heads and Mafia intake.  If I am not asking this correctly, please humor me.  Always willing to learn.

Usually #4 & #5 are the leaner ones.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De October 24th 2014, 11:56 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
460Dave wrote:I am trying to "fine tune" my combo for some nitrous.  Are you aware of any notoriously lean cylinders I should look out for?  545 cu inch P51 heads and Mafia intake.  If I am not asking this correctly, please humor me.  Always willing to learn.

Usually #4 & #5 are the leaner ones.
I burnt the pistons on those cylinders on my 547. The other corners were a little lean as well. The inside cylinders were right on.
Manifold was the Victor.
The TFS track heat is much better even if you port the Edel Victor the TFS is better out of the box.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down