BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strength of stock crank on NOS

3 posters

Go down

Strength of stock crank on NOS Empty Strength of stock crank on NOS

Post  57custom December 10th 2015, 10:48 pm

My car is a 63 fairlane tudor weighing around 3640 with me in it. I just need a little more power this year. The car is set up for nitrous with dual fuel pumps and an Edelbrock controller. But since I have installed a lower hp 466 in place of the 545 that was in it I need/want some more power. So I have decided to do the NOS thing this year. Besides the bling effect at car shows with a good plate and fogger system is second only to a blower sticking thru the hood. The engine is a 466 with forged pistons and H beam rods hooked to a balanced stock crank. I converted the block to 4 bolt mains. Very Happy I have a modified Weiand tunnel ram with 2 750 Edelbrocks I like the looks of them so don't plan on switching to Holleys. I have a solid flat tappet cam Isky cam that I traded for some years ago. Keep in mind that this is a very low buck engine. The heads are iron cobra jets with fairly decent flow numbers. I also have a Snow performance water injection unit plumbed in. I already have a cheater plate under each carb. This engine made 596 hp on 110 octane and we even made one pull with 91 octane and it made 572 by just spraying in the water full blast not regulated like Snow recomends. I am considering sending my manifold to Induction research to have it welded up and drilled for a fogger. Now for the BIG QUESTION Is the stock crank up to handling between 200 and 300 more hp with a good safe tuneup? It is internally balanced I might add. The best this has run so far has been 7.04 at 100mph in the 1/8th. I would love to see a low 6 or even a high 5 at the end of the day during a test and tune. With my 545 in it it went 6.55 at 108 on a good day sans juice. Smile I know a switch to P51's and a roller will put it into the 6's in the 1/8th but that can come later. The brand X guys need to see a street Ford run this good with old school stuff. Smile
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

Strength of stock crank on NOS Empty Re: Strength of stock crank on NOS

Post  gmsmkr December 10th 2015, 11:15 pm

What kind of compression do you have

How far in the hole are the pistons

Are the chambers blended

Whats the top piston to ring land thickness

What type of head gaskets do you have

These will be what I worry most about the crank is tuff..
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  57custom December 11th 2015, 12:56 pm

Comp is about 13.5 to 1. the pistons are down about .010 if I remember right. I did blend the edges of the combustion chamber. Like I said this is a low buck setup and the pistons are forged speed pro with a small dome and I didn't measure the top ring land distance but if memory serves me right these pistons have a substancial top ring land. In fact I used them in another engine several years ago and sprayed that with a small shot. Smile I believe the head gaskets are Fel Pro but not sure as the engine has been together for quite some time. I just decided to put it in about mid season last year. With the 3.70 gears in it now it ran 11.23 at 120 plus in the 1/4. Smile I do have some deeper gears that I will try without the spray just for my own satisfaction this coming summer. Laughing They are what I refer to as 1/8th mile gears 5.14 ratio.
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 11th 2015, 1:07 pm

The crank will take all you can throw at it, the block will fail first.

Providing your tune is on and you have done good machine work and assembly.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr December 11th 2015, 1:23 pm

At 13.5 comp with iron heads and i will say .045 thick gasket and I wouldn't hit with more than 250 keep on top of the tune and it will last along time
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down