BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers?

+7
manofmerc
Mark Miller
cletus66
dfree383
DILLIGASDAVE
rmcomprandy
ED468
11 posters

Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers?

Post  ED468 January 23rd 2016, 3:37 am

BBC really work good with the rpm in the 1/8 mile on 468. Even the Brodix dual plane works great on 468 non strokers. I KNOW these aint Chevys LMAO and I know they will be down on power around 6000 or so but should like footbraking better. I like the portosonic for a compromise if needed after alot of work. I kinda think the even spacing makes too many different ports compared to chevy as to work as good?

ED468

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty Re: anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers?

Post  rmcomprandy January 23rd 2016, 12:31 pm

ED468 wrote:BBC really work good with the rpm in the 1/8 mile on 468. Even the Brodix dual plane works great on 468 non strokers. I KNOW these aint Chevys LMAO and I know they will be down on power around 6000 or so but should like footbraking better. I like the portosonic for a compromise if needed after alot of work. I kinda think the even spacing makes too many different ports compared to chevy as to work as good?

I am sure there must be an inquisition in there somewhere ... and you are correct, it certainly is not the same as a big block Chevrolet simply because it has canted valves.  
Have you taken into account the intake port locations of an 8.1L big block Chevrolet...?

Whether or not an intake manifold will work well is dependent upon the entire combination and the specific carb on top of it or being used for fuel injection.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty port spacing

Post  ED468 January 23rd 2016, 8:26 pm

Just was wondering how our differant parameters of ports, effecrt the design and performance of a dual plane. Chevy intake is narrower and ports are closer to same length. Got a Chevy friend that keeps saying Try a good dual plane on stuff and on the chevy I've seen it pick up stuff in the 1/8. That from down low performance even on there small block. Maybe its just a CRUTCH thing.Chevy intakes floats around enough its easy to throw one on there, not so easy to find one to barrrow for a ford so never have.

ED468

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty Re: anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers?

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 23rd 2016, 8:46 pm

ED468 wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,and ports are closer to same length..........

Doesn't each side by side paired set of BBC intake runners (inside the head) have a short runner & a long runner? If so doesn't that make the chebby guys boast of having an intake with similar length runners a moot point in the long run?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 23rd 2016, 10:05 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
ED468 wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,and ports are closer to same length..........

Doesn't each side by side paired set of BBC intake runners (inside the head) have a short runner & a long runner? If so doesn't that make the chebby guys boast of having an intake with similar length runners a moot point in the long run?

As mentioned earlier, the 8.1 liter big block Chevy cylinder head does NOT have "side by side" intake ports; they are equally spaced or almost.

In a dual-plane manifold, it won't matter much as all the ports are not in a consistent direction and are a different length.
The biggest thing is that the Chevy block is not near as wide and therefore the end ports of a single plane can be a bunch shorter for tuning at a higher RPM.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 23rd 2016, 10:11 pm

And as far as a dual plane intake being faster than a single plane.... Only time I'd figure that would be true is if you combo is all jacked up.....

And thinking a well built 460 ford is down on power compared to a typical 454 is a crock of shit too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty I'm terrable at trying to gey my point across.

Post  ED468 January 24th 2016, 12:01 am

I guess I have to realise me and my friends are some of the poorest gear heads on THIS site and alot of combos are just the best they can afford and some parts are used . Saying that ,its a whole different playing field when your playing in the mud as so to speak. I like 460 better then 454s but thats not what this was about. I should ask in a different way. Do ya think a BBF RPM is as good as a BBC RPM intake as in average HP and holding on to HP upstairs? Now I think about it didn't John Kasse use a dual plain in the EMC? Them motors be awesome in the 1/8 mile.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 24th 2016, 12:39 pm

ED468 wrote:I guess I have to realise me and my friends are some of the poorest gear heads on THIS site and alot of combos are just the best they can afford and some parts are used . Saying that ,its a whole different playing field when your playing in the mud as so to speak. I like 460 better then 454s but thats not what this was about. I should ask in a different way. Do ya think a BBF RPM is as good as a BBC RPM intake as in average HP and holding on to HP upstairs? Now I think about it didn't John Kasse use a dual plain in the EMC? Them motors be awesome in the 1/8 mile.

Personally, I think the SMALL block Chevrolet "Air Gap", the 351 Windsor "Air Gap" and Big Block Ford "Air Gap" are three of the best dual-plane intake manifolds in the marketplace.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 January 24th 2016, 3:41 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
ED468 wrote:I guess I have to realise me and my friends are some of the poorest gear heads on THIS site and alot of combos are just the best they can afford and some parts are used . Saying that ,its a whole different playing field when your playing in the mud as so to speak. I like 460 better then 454s but thats not what this was about. I should ask in a different way. Do ya think a BBF RPM is as good as a BBC RPM intake as in average HP and holding on to HP upstairs? Now I think about it didn't John Kasse use a dual plain in the EMC? Them motors be awesome in the 1/8 mile.

Personally, I think the SMALL block Chevrolet "Air Gap", the 351 Windsor "Air Gap" and Big Block Ford "Air Gap" are three of the best dual-plane intake manifolds in the marketplace.

I put one on my 408 Windsor because I thought it looked good. I haven't had it on the road yet, but I almost wrecked it twice in the driveway. Laughing

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Th_20150704_185023_zpsifn7kuhw

cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 25th 2016, 3:01 am

cletus66 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

I put one on my 408 Windsor because I thought it looked good.  I haven't had it on the road yet, but I almost wrecked it twice in the driveway.  Laughing

Quit drinking beer before you go for a ride down the driveway!!! Smile Smile Smile

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Th_20150704_185023_zpsifn7kuhw

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty Dual planes

Post  manofmerc January 25th 2016, 5:59 am

On my 460 powered 1/8 mile drag car (67 comet ) I found that a victor was only .015 quicker than the performer rpm air gap .That was with a really good 8" convertor with a not so good 10" convertor and comparing the same two intakes .The performer rpm was .015 quicker than the victor .My carburetor was a quick fuel 950 .Your comparison of chevy versus ford dual planes is a tough one .A lot of variables .It would seem an 1/8 mile car would like a dual plane whether chevy or ford it just depends on the combo.If as you say the runners on the ford are longer a 460 might have an advantage .I think the main thing to consider is there are so many head choices for the big chevy that probably would make comparing the two engines a lot harder .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty Dual planes

Post  manofmerc January 25th 2016, 6:01 am

On my 460 powered 1/8 mile drag car (67 comet ) I found that a victor was only .015 quicker than the performer rpm air gap .That was with a really good 8" convertor with a not so good 10" convertor and comparing the same two intakes .The performer rpm was .015 quicker than the victor .My carburetor was a quick fuel 950 .Your comparison of chevy versus ford dual planes is a tough one .A lot of variables .It would seem an 1/8 mile car would like a dual plane whether chevy or ford it just depends on the combo.If as you say the runners on the ford are longer a 460 might have an advantage .I think the main thing to consider is there are so many head choices for the big chevy that probably would make comparing the two engines a lot harder .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty just has always been my opinnion that all same named intakes on different brand motors cant work the same.

Post  ED468 January 26th 2016, 2:10 am

I think it also has to do with how much R&D timed aloud to develope a intake might be a factor. Randy is the RPM air gap that much better then a RPM standard on a smallblock and bigblock Ford? Rpms on SBFs always worked good for me with 1 inch open spacer till about 6800 or so as far a hp, but u can tell it dont make the torque upstairs on shift. A torker two jetted up on front because of poor fuel distr. useally is better with a race converter, but the rpm LOVES 900 cfm annual carbs. Figured the intake was the restriction it could handle and take advatage of a big carb.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 26th 2016, 10:12 am

ED468 wrote: Randy is the RPM air gap that much better then a RPM standard on a small block and bigblock Ford? .

YES, IF the engine is strung high enough to take advantage of them ... they are different manifolds altogether ... not just a regular RPM manifold with an open air space below the runners.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  738drvr January 26th 2016, 1:20 pm

I'll be testing in a few weeks. Here's what I have:

Fully ported Wilson Victor.

Unported Mafia Trick Flow(Thanks Blake).

Blue Thunder Dominator dual plane with HVH spacer(per Art Francis).

Engine is not a small displacement engine. 552 c.i.

1/8 mile and 1/4 mile to see if it makes a difference.

The comparison to a smaller 385 series may not work because of engine size but we'll see.

Stay tuned...
738drvr
738drvr

Back to top Go down

anyone run very good with a big dual plane like Blue Thunder dominator flange on non strokers? Empty good dualm plain

Post  ED468 February 1st 2016, 1:54 pm

Yes i specifically talking about stock CI with stock ported heads in a 1/8 mile. All my friends mostly build more pro street combos for bracket cars as you guys would categorize them lol. But low 6s at over 3000 lbs is the norm with BB anything. As you know its all about a decnt matched combo and a good converter/60ft.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino February 1st 2016, 5:37 pm

A dual plane intake will give more torque and average power on a stock or very mild engine. regardless of brand.
Tall gears, and a low stall speed converter also dictate that at dual plane be used probably 90% of the time.

A single plane intake on a stock or mild engine is usually more sluggish, and soft on torque....there are exceptions though.

A high rise RPM type of dual plane intake builds on the same torque that the lower profile one does, but holds on to the power curve for longer, and makes power at a higher rpm before it signs off.

A friend of mine has a F-250 truck with a mild 460. It has headers, dual exhaust, and a single plane Port-O-Sonic intake with a Holley 780. The engine is otherwise stock.
It will do a burnout for about 40-50 feet.
We swapped the single plane Port-O-Sonic for a Weiand Stealth 8012 dual plane intake, and reset the carb adjustments accordingly, and with no other changes, it will boil the tires for over 75-80 feet!! and it just comes on right away when you stab the pedal.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 February 1st 2016, 8:11 pm

I can back up the claim for the Weiand Stealth. My dads old car ran 10's with it in heavy ass 72 mach 1. Awesome range on it, would pull from idle way past 7 grand in high gear if you let it. Nothing else even comes close for a street car.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  jc10000rpm February 4th 2016, 7:57 am

Randy (slightly off topic), on a 502 through 545 cid combos how do you rate the Weiand Stealth against the rpm airgap ?

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 4th 2016, 10:12 am

jc10000rpm wrote:Randy (slightly off topic), on a 502 through 545 cid combos how do you rate the Weiand Stealth against the rpm airgap ?

From any past results I have done in tests, the  Stealth is not near as good, (especially the 8012),  ... at Wide Open Throttle the Stealth makes good power in the middle RPM range however, at small throttle openings it is very slow to react and not very responsive at all until the throttle is past half way.
You do need to realize that the "Air Gap" is for a regular production port size head; NOT a Cobra Jet size port.

SO, it will depend greatly upon how the vehicle is being used. On a regular production size intake port the Stealth will never be as good.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down