BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

+6
David Cole
BIGDOG466
Blue Oval Forever
the Coug
richter69
jbozzelle
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... Empty Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

Post  jbozzelle December 3rd 2009, 10:29 pm

Anybody got these?

Bought a used bell, but need the instructions.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... Empty Re: Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

Post  richter69 December 3rd 2009, 10:34 pm

just cut everything off from the face of the pump forward.

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... DSCF0891
Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... DSCF0892
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... Empty Re: Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

Post  jbozzelle December 3rd 2009, 11:12 pm

Alright. for some reason I was thinking if I cut it wrong I'd cut into the inside of the case

I'll get it chopped this weekend.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 4th 2009, 12:07 am

John do not cut any of the pan rail at all when you get to it taper it and make sure you clear the port bosses on the front lower case on the pass side....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 4th 2009, 12:13 am

OK. Once I'm done there will be a small gap between the case and bell, correct? Should I gut the case and do it? Or can it be done while the pump is still in there?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 4th 2009, 12:15 am

yep about 1/16 or so John also when you get ready to install it buy you a couple 1/8 npt to #6 an fittings and put those in the pump to cooler ports makes it easier to work with the lines.....

Randy

Last edited by the Coug on December 4th 2009, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 4th 2009, 12:17 am

Thanks. Do I need to pull the pump and do it?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 4th 2009, 12:19 am

it would be easier if you did, that way you don't mess up the splines on the stator support or seals....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever December 5th 2009, 12:32 pm

John,

Not sure who your getting to do it. If you need Mike at the machie shop I use has done quite a few of them.

Bobby
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 5th 2009, 1:31 pm

Bobby,

What does he do? Stick them in the mill and machine it off. Are you talking about Mike over at Meyers?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever December 5th 2009, 6:09 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Bobby,

What does he do? Stick them in the mill and machine it off. Are you talking about Mike over at Meyers?

Yes Mike at Meyers. yes he cuts the bulk off and then puts it in the bridgeport and mills it down.

Not sure when he close for the holidays but think it is soon.
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 20th 2009, 7:35 pm

I got the bell cut off today. But now I need some longer bolts to bolt it on with. Where can I get them at? Does anybody know the size and length? Maybe I can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 20th 2009, 7:46 pm

You need to measure the holes and such, the std lengths they came in were either too long or too short for my taste. I got some longer grade 8 bolts, took a die and made the threads longer, then cut each one to fit the hole it was going in, maximum amount of thread contact without bottoming out.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 20th 2009, 7:47 pm

You got too much time on your hands...

I'll pull one and head to Lowe's and see what they got.

I found the thread spec in the rebuild book. 5/16-18.

Are all bolts the same length?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 20th 2009, 10:15 pm

Well it aint like your goping to the track tomorrow is it? lol

My holes where different depths, not much, but a little.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 20th 2009, 10:59 pm

richter69 wrote:Well it aint like your goping to the track tomorrow is it? lol

Go ahead, rub it in...

Shooting for March/April timeframe...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 December 21st 2009, 7:19 pm

Anyone used studs before? I was thinking about it should be a little stonger. TSR sells them.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 1st 2010, 11:22 pm

What should the bell be torques to when I put it on? The book lists the pump to case torque specs as 15 ft/lbs. Will that suffice or should it be more? Or should I drill out the threads and put some inserts in there?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 1st 2010, 11:57 pm

it will be fine John as it is just torque it to #15 and run with it..... those are only 5/16 bolts.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 2nd 2010, 2:12 am

Any need to run any Loctite or thread sealer?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 2nd 2010, 9:38 am

NO!!!!! you may want to take it back apart someday amd unless you want to strip the bolt holes. I would just slip the gasket on and tighten the bolts to specified torques....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm

Are you talking about the gaskets under the bolts?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 2nd 2010, 2:32 pm

the gasket under the pump in place, the copper gaskets under the bolts, and torque to speck.

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole January 2nd 2010, 3:02 pm

Just something to add. Take a careful look at the threads in the bolt holes for the pump/bell. If the trans has ever been apart, the chances are good that some of the the threads are worn/partially stripped. The aluminum in this area is soft. You would time/money ahead to go ahead and helicoil all 7 of them while the trans is apart. My last stock case had 4 of the seven helicoiled over 3-4 teardowns.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm

Thanks David. I just got a new drill press for Christmas so that might be a good thing for me to do...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next