BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFR BBF Head

+49
Mark Miller
BigBlockRanger
glenevans
cletus66
John Myrick
snuff98
jeffgfg
bigford632
FalconEh
Mike R
Mark Laczo
jbozzelle
Straubtech
BBFTorino
6t6mustang
STR-LGL-70
cool40
The Mad Porter
Mark O'Neal
jasonf
nickpohlaandp
XF-66
ED468
hbstang
maverick
BOSS 429
wayney
HorsinAround
Hardy
tbirdmike
68galaxie
Gary Blair
Scott Foxwell
carlthomasd
fastashley
jones
QtrWarrior
dfree383
Dave De
Lem Evans
68formalGT
IDT-572
Darrin Gorham
Coupe Devil
torino501
Carl
supervel45
rmcomprandy
res0rli9
53 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

AFR BBF Head - Page 7 Empty Re: AFR BBF Head

Post  Lem Evans November 2nd 2017, 10:44 pm

cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
68formalGT wrote:Looking good Lem and Phillip!

I'm guessing the cam should be here next week.
did you special order it from a well known expert?

Just guessed at it.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround November 3rd 2017, 12:34 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter November 5th 2017, 2:16 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
68formalGT wrote:Looking good Lem and Phillip!

I'm guessing the cam should be here next week.
did you special order it from a well known expert?

Just guessed at it.

LMFAO. lol! lol! lol!

S
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  6t6mustang November 7th 2017, 11:31 pm

Fiddled around with these at sema last week, look nice, clean castings, intake looks decent too. Sounds like no other intake plans on the horizon tho. What you see is what you get..
6t6mustang
6t6mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp November 22nd 2017, 9:01 pm

This is an interesting thread, and definitely one I'll be watching. I've decided to go with the AFR 315's for my build for a few reasons. One of the main reasons (but not the only reason) is fitment. I'm putting this in a Fox and it's not a max effort, all out race build. I want a lot of power, but the majority of the miles will be on the street. I'm looking at purchasing the majority of my engine stuff, and as much chassis stuff as I can afford with what $ I have left, in about a month.

I'm not sure when I'll have this whole project done, but I'm fairly sure I'll be taking the engine to a somewhat local shop for initial run in and tune. If I have the option I plan on running the headers that I'll be running in the car instead of "dyno" headers. I won't have any comparison to offer with different heads, but I'll be more than happy to post the results with a complete parts breakdown. Whenever I get to that point, not only will I be amped up like a 5 year old on Mountain Dew, but it'll give anyone who wants to know what a 10.5:1 545 will do with the AFR 315's.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 23rd 2017, 4:37 am

That would be cool Nick. Keep us updated on the build and the power output!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 23rd 2017, 5:33 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:This is an interesting thread, and definitely one I'll be watching. I've decided to go with the AFR 315's for my build for a few reasons. One of the main reasons (but not the only reason) is fitment. I'm putting this in a Fox and it's not a max effort, all out race build. I want a lot of power, but the majority of the miles will be on the street. I'm looking at purchasing the majority of my engine stuff, and as much chassis stuff as I can afford with what $ I have left, in about a month.

I'm not sure when I'll have this whole project done, but I'm fairly sure I'll be taking the engine to a somewhat local shop for initial run in and tune. If I have the option I plan on running the headers that I'll be running in the car instead of "dyno" headers. I won't have any comparison to offer with different heads, but I'll be more than happy to post the results with a complete parts breakdown. Whenever I get to that point, not only will I be amped up like a 5 year old on Mountain Dew, but it'll give anyone who wants to know what a 10.5:1 545 will do with the AFR 315's.

Are you going to have it built in Houston or La.? I believe there was a high port exhaust offered but, I am not positive, if so did you go that route?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 23rd 2017, 5:42 am

http://www.airflowresearch.com/315cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

My bad, looks like they are all high port on the  315's.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/295cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

Just curious Nick, why did you rule out the 295's? I don't fully remember the details of your build, just asking.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp November 23rd 2017, 11:12 am

supervel45 wrote:http://www.airflowresearch.com/295cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

Just curious Nick, why did you rule out the 295's? I don't fully remember the details of your build, just asking.

Short answer... I don't know for sure. I think one reason is because the idea behind this build is using OTB components (heads, intake, carb, rotating assembly), and I believe the 295's are limited to 0.700 lift. The 315's are good for 0.750 or 0.800 OTB, and the cam I'm having done will be somewhere between 0.700 and 0.750. I was just doing some more "staring" at the AFR's last night and thinking that the 295's would probably be a better head in the sense that I plan on doing a lot of street driving, but the little extra I'd pick up with the 315's will be nice to have. I'm thinking that I have about a month before the cash hits my bank account and I start dispersing it to various individuals for parts. In that time I think I need to do some math and try to figure out what the powerband would be for each and decide if I want to think about the 295's or not.

As far as where it'll be built, I've found a machine shop in Houston that I've spoken with the machinist a few times and I'm getting a warm fuzzy. I'm going to have them do the block machining and balancing, and I'll do all of the measuring, fine tuning of bearing clearances, and assembly in my shop.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl November 23rd 2017, 12:15 pm

nickpohlaandp wrote:
supervel45 wrote:http://www.airflowresearch.com/295cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

Short answer... I don't know for sure. I think one reason is because the idea behind this build is using OTB components (heads, intake, carb, rotating assembly), and I believe the 295's are limited to 0.700 lift. The 315's are good for 0.750 or 0.800 OTB, and the cam I'm having done will be somewhere between 0.700 and 0.750. I was just doing some more "staring" at the AFR's last night and thinking that the 295's would probably be a better head in the sense that I plan on doing a lot of street driving, but the little extra I'd pick up with the 315's will be nice to have. I'm thinking that I have about a month before the cash hits my bank account and I start dispersing it to various individuals for parts. In that time I think I need to do some math and try to figure out what the powerband would be for each and decide if I want to think about the 295's or not.

As far as where it'll be built, I've found a machine shop in Houston that I've spoken with the machinist a few times and I'm getting a warm fuzzy. I'm going to have them do the block machining and balancing, and I'll do all of the measuring, fine tuning of bearing clearances, and assembly in my shop.

The 295's springs are good to .850 lift.  It's the 280's springs that are limited to .680 (solid) and .725 (hyd).  All the 315's have a raised exh port, so it may take more work to make the headers fit, and really that raised port isn't going to be worth anything for the kind of build you're talking about.

The 315's are also going to do nothing but leave power on the table at rpms lower than peak, and have poorer throttle response.  For an engine that's going to be "doing a lot of street driving", and cammed accordingly, you'd probably be better off with the 280's, a hyd roller cam with solid roller lifters.

And depending on how much street use this thing is going to see, a solid flat tappet may be a better choice, as they don't require a bronze dist gear, and performance will pretty much be on par with a street oriented roller cam.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp November 23rd 2017, 1:32 pm

Carl wrote:The 295's springs are good to .850 lift.  It's the 280's springs that are limited to .680 (solid) and .725 (hyd).  All the 315's have a raised exh port, so it may take more work to make the headers fit, and really that raised port isn't going to be worth anything for the kind of build you're talking about.

Yeah, I think I read over the "max lift" about 100 times last night on AFR's website... it was a long day. I just went and found it and saw where the 295's are good to 0.850". As far as the raised port, I'm not too worried about fitment issues with a 0.250" raised port. That's not terrible. The TF A460's extremely raised port is pretty much the main reason I counted them out of my choices, plus I think they'd be too much for what I'm looking for. I'd probably never push the engine to the point where I was using what those heads are capable of.

Carl wrote:The 315's are also going to do nothing but leave power on the table at rpms lower than peak, and have poorer throttle response.  For an engine that's going to be "doing a lot of street driving", and cammed accordingly, you'd probably be better off with the 280's, a hyd roller cam with solid roller lifters.

I realize the 315's are really going to shine more at higher RPM's, and as a power monger it's hard to not like that, but realistically, when I look at the specs of the 295's vs the 315's, I think I might be happy with the 295's knowing I can get the lift I want out of them. Like I said, this is going to be a fairly OTB build, so I didn't want to have to buy heads just to have to tear them down and install different valves, keepers, etc.

Carl wrote:And depending on how much street use this thing is going to see, a solid flat tappet may be a better choice, as they don't require a bronze dist gear, and performance will pretty much be on par with a street oriented roller cam.

I'm pretty dead set on using a roller, but opinions can always be swayed before the purchase is made, lol. I really wish I could see a dyno graph of a SFT and SR dammed engine, same cam specs, same engine. I'd love to see what the actual difference is. I don't care what the engine in the dyno graph is, but I think you understand what I'm saying. Like what if you took a mild 460 with a SFT cam, dynoed it, swapped to a SR, and dyned it again. What would that look like as far as the power curve?

FYI, Carl, I shot you a PM last night.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 23rd 2017, 2:06 pm

I was thinking pretty much what Carl stated about the headers and the difference in the small gain in flow with the 315's on a street build, plus the added cost. Also your 10.5/1 compression ratio did not seem to be a good fit to maximize the 315's either.

West Side Machine and Harold's Machine in Houston have done good machine work for me in the past. They are not Ford only shops is the one downside. I don't recall any Ford only shops in Houston though.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp November 23rd 2017, 3:55 pm

supervel45 wrote:I was thinking pretty much what Carl stated about the headers and the difference in the small gain in flow with the 315's on a street build, plus the added cost. Also your 10.5/1 compression ratio did not seem to be a good fit to maximize the 315's either.

West Side Machine and Harold's Machine in Houston have done good machine work for me in the past. They are not Ford only shops is the one downside. I don't recall any Ford only shops in Houston though.

Correction, it's not Houston, it's Marks Machine in Beaumont.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 23rd 2017, 4:32 pm

^ Can't help you there, don't know anything about them.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  6t6mustang December 25th 2017, 11:58 pm

Im in the same boat, my 557 will be in a jet boat, 62-6400 max rpm, realistically 5500 with my current impeller. Pump gas, the 295 would be better mid range but it doesnt require much torque cruising at 32-3400. It will flash to 4800 near instantly from cruise rpm so not sure if the bigger head would be better geared to this application?
6t6mustang
6t6mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  Straubtech December 29th 2017, 6:03 pm

The runner volume on these heads will fool you. The MCSA of these heads are quite large and will support a good bit of CID.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 29th 2017, 7:19 pm

Just before the Thanksgiving holiday, I delivered a 501 with the #3816, 295cc heads with 75cc chambers and standard height exhaust ports. It had a solid flat tappet cam in it.
It never got on the dyno or to a race track but, the customer is totally happy with how it drives with a port matched "Torquer II" intake manifold and Quick Fuel "Black Diamond" #BD-830 which has an electric choke.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

AFR BBF Head - Page 7 Empty update

Post  Lem Evans January 25th 2018, 7:59 pm

AFR BBF Head - Page 7 Img_0212

AFR BBF Head - Page 7 Img_0213

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT January 25th 2018, 8:49 pm

Looking good Lem!
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 25th 2018, 10:51 pm

Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 26th 2018, 11:24 am

When does it get bolted to the pump...?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Laczo January 26th 2018, 7:20 pm

Lem,

What oil pan you guys got on that thing ?
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 26th 2018, 8:20 pm

It's a 9" rear and 7" front kicked out deal I've been having made for many years. Charlie Gilbertson made that one for me before he retired. The current ones we now sell are ~ the same but, the rails and end caps are now billet.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 26th 2018, 8:28 pm

jbozzelle wrote:When does it get bolted to the pump...?

Soon. I know that's not a good answer but, things only happen when there is opportunity. Opportunity gets lost when things like not enough installed spring ht. and no adjusting nuts in the stud girdle box come into play. I think it'll be a good engine.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 27th 2018, 4:13 pm

Mark Laczo wrote:Lem,

What oil pan you guys got on that thing ?

I've got it's brother in stock if you need a pan.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next