BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dyno next week any hp guess's ///rod picture damage and dyno sheet added

+19
maverick
Doug Rahn
Mark Miller
Carl
pmrphil
Paul Kane
Frank Merkl
cletus66
cobra501
Straubtech
BOSS 429
DFI429
69F100
DaveMcLain
Gregaust
BBFTorino
rmcomprandy
IDT-572
5pointslow
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

dyno next week any hp guess's ///rod picture damage and dyno sheet added  - Page 3 Empty Re: dyno next week any hp guess's ///rod picture damage and dyno sheet added

Post  Mark Miller December 13th 2016, 12:11 am

5pointslow wrote:getting put on the dyno at the end of the month at Bouchers racing engines here in Rowley Ma

472 ci
1050 dommy from Dan Davinchi custom to my build
custom solid lifter cam from randy malik
Eddy heads -out of the box cj heads with upgraded spring and good valve job , with cnc port intake entrys from eddelbrock
forged icon pistons around 12.5.1 compression with heads
mezierre water pump
plennum ported viktor intake

going to be ran on Vp 113
inner springs out for cam break in on the dyno then some pulls , I will keep this updated with dyno sheet and pics

in the fairmont i will have to slow it up , going to use ezplate sytem . Plan is to run 10.50 index locally

My guess is right around 600hp maybe a little less

You guys have any guess's on hp go for it

Are those icon pistons Flat Tops?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

dyno next week any hp guess's ///rod picture damage and dyno sheet added  - Page 3 Empty Re: dyno next week any hp guess's ///rod picture damage and dyno sheet added

Post  5pointslow December 13th 2016, 6:13 am

Mark Miller wrote:
5pointslow wrote:getting put on the dyno at the end of the month at Bouchers racing engines here in Rowley Ma

472 ci
Eddy heads -out of the box cj heads with upgraded spring and good valve job , with cnc port intake entrys from eddelbrock
mezierre water pump

inner springs out for cam break in on the dyno then some pulls , I will keep this updated with dyno sheet and pics

in the fairmont i will have to slow it up , going to use ezplate sytem . Plan is to run 10.50 index locally

Yes forged icon flattops
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow December 13th 2016, 6:15 am

Mark Miller wrote:
5pointslow wrote:
pmrphil wrote:Probably the best way to figure what happened is to send one of the other rods with the bolts back to Scat and have it checked. Inexpensive, yet may answer the question of bogus rod/bolts or installation mistake. Might as well send the broken one also.

these are not scat rods , i got them off ebay ( i was under the impression they were )
i will look at the writing on the side , but it has 6.605 in big etching on side of them as well
bolts say "arp 8740 "

like others stated it i dont think it was rod or bolt at this hp level or rpm unless a freak defect ...im not sure not going to sweat it now
with holidays approaching right after the first of the year im bring a block to bouchers and having him go through it probly get a set of eagle rods

one thing for sure is i shouldnt have had local shop machine and assemble my shortblock and then bring to other shop (bouchers for dyno)
i feel i should have kept it under one roof and not buy my steak at grocery store and then bring it to the resturaunt . This may not of been the issue but who knows i have learned Tom boucher attention to detail is very good and by the looks of his wall in shop of all the stock and stock eliminators cars he builds engines for speaks for itself . And the national record holder plaques on the wall as well . he was doing two aluminum pro mod engines as well while i was there

i appreciate the input from all , Randys cam he had ground for me didnt get any damage and made a nice flat curve .
i cant wait for round 2

The cam Randy had ground for you is a Solid Flat Tappet not Solid Roller correct?

Solid flat tappet
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn December 13th 2016, 7:58 am

IMHO and if it were me, I would contact ARP and send them a couple of the bolts. They can test them and identify if they are theirs or fake. If they are fake then they can put the word out about them and how to possibly identify them. If they are ARP's then that would alert them that some how some bad bolts got through and in the market. Knowing their stellar reputation in the racing industry I'm sure they would like to know about it and tackle this head on, fake or not. They may even know if they were torqued correctly.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow December 13th 2016, 2:32 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:IMHO and if it were me, I would contact ARP and send them a couple of the bolts. They can test them and identify if they are theirs or fake. If they are fake then they can put the word out about them and how to possibly identify them. If they are ARP's then that would alert them that some how some bad bolts got through and in the market. Knowing their stellar reputation in the racing industry I'm sure they would like to know about it and tackle this head on, fake or not. They may even know if they were torqued correctly.

I just spoke with a nice guy at Arp (sam benson)that i sent pictures to of rod bolt to see if they could tell about if it was over tourqed or what , he showed it to someone else there as well and said being not bent and clean snap it was rod bolt and not rod. He said if it was the rod it would have a bend before it snapped .

always thought very highly of there products but the way they spoke and explained it shows there customer service is very good . Told me to order a new set of rods and he was going to send me Arp 2000 upgrade for them for nothing . I thought that was stand up and made a point that he didnt have to and i understand things can fail.

I want to make this a point i know the '8740' is fine at this level and im sure a lot more , and he also agreed with that but also stated this is a freak thing but can happen but not often . He also said he knows for 100% thats there bolt and not a fake

i understand stuff happens i told him , i work in manurfacturing 10 years now for a (fortune 500) medical device company in orthopedics division making Knees, hips (other divisons make baby powder  Smile ) i see all of the stuff in QA ect , let alone on the floor as a machnist by trade that work out fine but then you get one that fails out of no were .

Moving on
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller December 14th 2016, 1:09 am

5pointslow wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

472 ci
mezierre water pump

Yes forged icon flattops

Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller December 14th 2016, 1:09 am

5pointslow wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
5pointslow wrote:
pmrphil wrote:Probably the best way to figure what happened is to send one of the other rods with the bolts back to Scat and have it checked. Inexpensive, yet may answer the question of bogus rod/bolts or installation mistake. Might as well send the broken one also.

these are not scat rods , i got them off ebay ( i was under the impression they were )
i will look at the writing on the side , but it has 6.605 in big etching on side of them as well
bolts say "arp 8740 "

like others stated it i dont think it was rod or bolt at this hp level or rpm unless a freak defect ...im not sure not going to sweat it now
with holidays approaching right after the first of the year im bring a block to bouchers and having him go through it probly get a set of eagle rods

one thing for sure is i shouldnt have had local shop machine and assemble my shortblock and then bring to other shop (bouchers for dyno)
i feel i should have kept it under one roof and not buy my steak at grocery store and then bring it to the resturaunt . This may not of been the issue but who knows i have learned Tom boucher attention to detail is very good and by the looks of his wall in shop of all the stock and stock eliminators cars he builds engines for speaks for itself . And the national record holder plaques on the wall as well . he was doing two aluminum pro mod engines as well while i was there

i appreciate the input from all , Randys cam he had ground for me didnt get any damage and made a nice flat curve .
i cant wait for round 2

The cam Randy had ground for you is a Solid Flat Tappet not Solid Roller correct?

Solid flat tappet

Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl December 14th 2016, 2:59 am

By the ad on Ebay they say the rods have a lifetime warranty ! Phone them up!!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 14th 2016, 8:46 am

Guaranteed for the life of the unit. Rolling Eyes
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow December 14th 2016, 8:48 am

i ordered a set of eagle h beams last night

just need to contact Icon pistons about buying 2 single pistons , shows set of 8 but not any singles for them so i need to call
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc December 14th 2016, 2:34 pm

I sure hate this for you .I have been following your thread since it started I have an edelbrock build in progress now .Similar to yours except for the carburetor(mine is a 4150 series)You will get it back together and all will be good .Your wallet might hurt a bit but you will ready for race season .And at least arp is standing behind their product .Good luck to you 5 points santa

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow December 14th 2016, 2:54 pm

manofmerc wrote:I sure hate this for you .I have been following your thread since it started I have an edelbrock build in progress now .Similar to yours except for the carburetor(mine is a 4150 series)You will get it back together and all will be good .Your wallet might hurt a bit but you will ready for race season .And at least arp is standing behind their product .Good luck to you 5 points santa

Thank you

i view it as a freak thing , i was most curious if Arp could tell me by looking at the bolt at maybe what was the cause ect . They were very stand up in took it very seriously and no complaints there .

my best analogy is "dont buy your steak at grocery store and bring it to the resturaunt to cook " this is were i feel i could have done better on my part . The local shop i used i dont put blame on but when you bring an engine to get dynoed at another shop they can only go off of what you brought them. So new engine will be built at bouchers racing engines and dynoed there , doesnt mean there cant be any issues but i figuare its under one roof . I have an open mind and no hard feeling towards shop that assembled the lower end ,Arp, or dyno shop

if you need a cam for your eddy build get with Randy Malik , i know my engine is nothing crazy but to make 600-630 hp with 472 ci with out of the box heads and a solid flat tappet cam not revving it to the moon ....super job on the cam .  My fingers crossed engine #2 will make as much power

Good luck on your build
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker December 29th 2016, 9:41 pm

5pointslow wrote:i ordered a set of eagle h beams last night

just need to contact Icon pistons about buying 2 single pistons , shows set of 8 but not any singles for them so i need to call
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=9979d8220fca9adb4bd40e2d687ca9d6&cPath=8_9_15&sort=5a&filter_id=6&eng_filter=460
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 18th 2017, 11:47 pm

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2182738

Interesting.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 6th 2017, 8:22 pm

After all this and new builder ,

Made 649/580

Details in my proven build thread
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech October 6th 2017, 9:31 pm

5pointslow wrote:After all this and new builder ,

Made 649/580

Details in my proven build thread

Nice power for a SFT deal. Any specs on the cam? I'm considering a cam swap this winter for my 472, it makes 600 but I think there is more there with another SFT ground with less LSA. I have ported A429's, 1050 carb and less compression at 11.4:1 so our builds are similar.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 8th 2017, 7:06 pm

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3