BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EFI on f100

+5
DanE
dfree383
maverick
supervel45
cool40
9 posters

Go down

EFI on f100 Empty EFI on f100

Post  cool40 July 11th 2017, 9:08 am

I have been thinking about dragging out my 1980 f100 to drive and sell the dually. I have a toter for pulling the trailer now and just don't need a diesel setting around. This truck has been in my family all its life and I got it several years ago for a DD. I did the brakes,radiator,ac, and built the 400m. It runs great and does fair on gas with the 275 gears. It's been setting up a few years now and has a fuel line sucking air so it runs out of gas if you try driving it. I'm thinking about EFI for this thing and see how it'll do. It's still all stock with 2 barrel carb but all the smog junk removed. Does anybody make a 2 barrel EFI ? Or should I change intakes and go with one of the fast,fitec,msd.? .? Ideas? study
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

EFI on f100 Empty Re: EFI on f100

Post  supervel45 July 11th 2017, 9:38 am

If you are getting double digit gas mileage I would leave it alone.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick July 11th 2017, 11:30 am

Haven't used it but that Edelbrick "E-Street 2" system looks way simple. Pretty high claims of m.p.g., too. Looks like a manifold swap to 4 bbl. would do it.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 11th 2017, 1:40 pm

The old truck does decent on gas but I think EFI would pick it up a lot,has tons of torque with low rpm. I should have my ass kicked for passing up the rusty 460 truck a friend had,it would have been the perfect donor!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 11th 2017, 1:58 pm

Id swap to a performer intake and use one of https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-511
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 11th 2017, 2:15 pm

I'm all about the simplest way to do this! Laughing that Holley kit looks really easy.....
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanE July 11th 2017, 2:35 pm

Cool40;
For probably less money than injection, I believe purchasing a Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, a Demon Street Demon 625 CFM carb, small headers with duals, "H" pipe, and MagnaFlow straight thru mufflers along with a recurved distributor would outperform the injection in both performance and economy.
If you are not familiar with the Street Demon line of carbs, I think if you researched them, you will see why I recommended them for this application.

Dan

DanE

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn July 12th 2017, 9:36 am

IMHO I would consider FiTech's EFI system. I believe they pioneered the ECU built into the throttle body long before Holley came out with their version and FiTech's is lower priced. I especially like their Fuel Command Center that allows you to maintain the stock fuel pump and not have to run a return line back to the fuel tank. It will be going on my boat engine to bring it up to date.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 12th 2017, 11:24 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:IMHO I would consider FiTech's EFI system. I believe they pioneered the ECU built into the throttle body long before Holley came out with their version and FiTech's is lower priced. I especially like their Fuel Command Center that allows you to maintain the stock fuel pump and not have to run a return line back to the fuel tank. It will be going on my boat engine to bring it up to date.
I've looked at the command center deal but ain't sure about how it works. Stock pump filling a surge tank with a hp pump inside it? study i have noticed a lot of fitech stuff for sale "like new"and "no street time" etc.....makes you go hmmm. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  slurm July 13th 2017, 8:54 am

i work at a resto shop and installed many different bolt on efi kits. Only good way is the have a in tank fuel pump or outside tank just lower then the tank. Have some pwm however return to the tank seems better.
slurm
slurm

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 13th 2017, 11:12 am

A friend of mine has a FAST 2.0 system and it worked well for him. Set it and forget it. The only side effect he has had is his car runs a little hotter now, we believe it is because it is not running rich all the time. I have a HPefi unit from Holley but it is a multi port system and not cheap. If I was buying another system I would try the Fitech. They seem to be very popular and I have not heard anything bad about them other then wait time because the demand is so high.

Regarding fuel pumps, in tank is much quieter then external so I would recommend that if at all possible.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fordguy69 July 13th 2017, 9:17 pm

I have the Fitech 8 injector TBI on my 460 and am very pleased with it. I used an Aeromotive Phantom stealth in tank pump. The system works beautifully even with a fairly decent roller cam, about 10" of vacuum at idle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of their systems. In fact I am going to use their new Go Port set up with an Eddy Victor efi manifold (Torker 2 set up for injectors and rails.) on my next build.

There is a great deal of internet buzz about the Fuel Command Center, apparently lots of folks have problems with it. I have no experience with it though.

But I do really like their TBI!

fordguy69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 13th 2017, 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll go with the in tank pump if I can at all. I may even try to use a newer model tank that's done set up with it. The old truck needs some love but that don't cost near as much as a new truck. Laughing   :EFI on f100 Image12
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn July 14th 2017, 10:09 am

fordguy69 wrote:There is a great deal of internet buzz about the Fuel Command Center, apparently lots of folks have problems with it.

I'm not here to defend FiTech and I have read and seen some of the problems some have had with their Fuel Command Center. IMHO, several I have seen appear to be self inflicted such as one guy had the FCC mounted just inches from and above a header tube which would cause the fuel to boil out the vent tube. Another discovered he had the pump inside the FCC running at near 100% at idle which have it heating up the fuel to boiling point. In one video the guy pulled the vent tube off the FCC and said the fuel was boiling out. Well he had just started a cold engine idling and pulled the vent tube, so the fuel really hasn't had time to heat up. I think what he was seeing was fuel slosh because the pump was running at a high percentage rate.

I wish I could run an in-tank pump on my boat but accessibility will not allow that, so I will have to use their FCC, but with some careful planning and installation. I may even build my own FCC with a larger sump to hold more fuel.

My biggest concern with FiTech's setup was the ECU holding up in a Marine environment. Since it is sealed in the throttle body I don't see that as a big issue because it is already exposed to engine heat. They did tell me they are working on Marine Certification and if I use it on my boat it will void the warranty. Hopefully they'll have it soon before I'm ready to buy.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn August 6th 2017, 10:05 am

LOL, I just saw on Power Block where Edelbrock has come out with their version of a fuel command center.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/efi/sump-fuel-kits.shtml
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down