BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust Size Recommendation

3 posters

Go down

Exhaust Size Recommendation Empty Exhaust Size Recommendation

Post  t120r October 30th 2017, 10:07 am

Hello everyone, first off I'd like to thank all the people here who have given me advice for my projects after all these years. My current build is a 1966 Bronco with a 429/ZF 5-speed. I'm getting custom stainless headers built for it soon and I was wondering about what exhaust pipe diameter I should go with. Then I saw magnaflow has a full bolt in dual 2.5" system with an x-pipe:

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15344&searchTerm=15344#modal-compatiblevehicles

Looks like a beautiful exhaust system. I've had a full kit from them before and I really liked it. My issue is that the pipes may be too small as most people on here run 3" systems. Here's a breakdown of my engine combo:

429cid (0.060 over)
11:1 compression (flat tops with SCJ valve reliefs)
FRPP SCJ heads (Intake valves backcut)
Solid roller with 239.5in/244ex (@0.050) and 626In/654Ex Lift
Performer RPM Air Gap converted to EFI (Ports matched to SCJ height)
And if it matters 3.73 gears with 33" tires

This will primarily be a fun street toy. Will the 2.5" system work or will I be giving up a lot to use it?

t120r

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Size Recommendation Empty Re: Exhaust Size Recommendation

Post  rmcomprandy October 30th 2017, 10:13 am

That is not to small for a street system when using straight-through mufflers with a 429 size engine.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 30th 2017, 11:20 pm

I agree would be near spot on.

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  t120r October 31st 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks for the replies. As my transmission and tcase are not stockand also I have to go outside the frame for headers, I will have to toss the 2 pipes forward of the x-pipe. It looks like the system can be modified easy enough to move the xpipe rearward 1 or 2 inches. That's all I'd really need. I might pull the trigger on this system in the coming weeks. At the very least I do have a 3" x-pipe kit on the shelf that I can use, but the idea of a bolt in system is much nicer.

So my previous post was about a starter, this one about exhaust.. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.Smile

t120r

Back to top Go down

Post  t120r November 23rd 2017, 2:44 pm

Well tdotperformance.ca had a big Magnaflow sale. Then they had 10% off for Black Friday. Then free shipping. So I had to do it. a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with an x-pipe for $877cad. If it installs half as easy than my last exhaust I'll be happy.

t120r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down