BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new build block info

2 posters

Go down

new build block info Empty new build block info

Post  69rustang November 28th 2017, 11:18 am

Finally got block out where I can get a better look......for better or for worse, this is what I have to work with. casting #D1VE-6015-AZ date code (A) 6H20-D if I read it correctly that should be 76-77 Lincoln Aug 20 1976 the block has been tanked, mag checked, and rough bored for +.040 . I would have preferred .030/.060 but there are decent piston choices at .040. At this point I have a total of $75 invested . The other block in storage turned out to be a 400 so will let my son have it for his bronco mudtruck build cleve 4bbl heads and right cam will keep him happy for now.

69rustang

Back to top Go down

new build block info Empty Re: new build block info

Post  DanE November 28th 2017, 1:30 pm

Hello 69rustang;

The D1VE block will do the job just fine. The block will need to be decked and squared. (should be) That block currently should have a deck height of 10.320 inches +-. Most stack heights shoot for 10.3 inches. ( 1/2 stroke, rod center to center, center of piston pin to piston deck.) Aim for a quench of .040 inches +-.

On the 502 that is on my engine stand, the piston was .004" down in the hole and with a .030" Cometic head gasket, the quench is 034". A tight quench is less prone to detonation and tolerates compression better. When using a MLS head gasket such as a Cometic, the deck surfaces of the head and block need to have a RA on the smooth side to eliminate weeping.

I am getting the impression that you are knowledgeable with engines, just need the particulars with the 385 series engine. The 385 series engine is a strong foundation, and with the many aftermarket heads available, you can dial in the power curve where you want it. As many of the cams available are basically Chevy based, many of us use custom cams suited to what we are building. There are many people on this forum that spec cams for these engines.

The stock passenger car heads when properly prepared, can get into the 700HP range and the Cobra Jet heads when properly prepared can get into the 900HP range. These are the iron heads. And with the amount of work it takes to prepare them it is actually less expensive to use aftermarket aluminum heads. But, if, due to class rules, you have to use an iron head, the heads work.  At any rate, you have an exciting project going on, and may you be successful.

DanE

Back to top Go down

new build block info Empty thanx

Post  69rustang November 28th 2017, 7:10 pm

I seem to have the basics but every reply helps...quench are and an example helps me since that's something I may not have considered

69rustang

Back to top Go down

new build block info Empty Re: new build block info

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down