BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Bee belt drive

+4
dfree383
Rickytx630
BBFTorino
57ford custom
8 posters

Go down

Danny Bee belt drive Empty Danny Bee belt drive

Post  57ford custom February 14th 2018, 11:55 pm

I am building a 526 BBF and I am putting on a Danny Bee belt drive for the cam. I went to install the bottom pulley and it wouldn't go on the whole crank snout up to the front main bearing. It appears that there is a small about .004 raised area on the Scat crank that runs to the front main bearing face. Has anyone experienced this problem? I called Danny Bee and they apparently weren't aware of this larger diameter as the bottom pulley will not go on with this 004 interferance. I checked on the stock craank that I removed and it also has this larger Diameter for about 3/4 of an inch also and the pulley will not go all the way on it either. Their solution in the instructions were to emery paper the crank a little to make it fit. But the tech even agreed with me that sanding off almost .004 to make it fit was more than they allowed for. Has anybody experienced this? So far my solution is to hone the inside of the Danny Bee bottom pulley to make it fit as when I talked to their tech guy they weren't about to change their pulley's inner diameter. It does fit very good up until that point. I thought about heating it up to make it fit but then figured it would be hell to pay when trying to remove it without more heat. Evil or Very Mad
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Danny Bee belt drive Empty Re: Danny Bee belt drive

Post  BBFTorino February 15th 2018, 12:34 am

I think the best way would be to mount it in a lathe and take .001" (one thousandth's) off of the inside of the pulley at a time....go test fit it, and repeat as necessary until it slips on with some slight resistance.
Or, just hone it until you get the same results.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickytx630 February 15th 2018, 12:42 am

very interesting, also running a scat crank, 4.150 stroke, just got my belt drive today, wont be able to check mine out til about a week or so when i can get to the car, also curious to whats the bolt length needed going to a belt drive from a factory cover, keep posted plz

Rickytx630

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 15th 2018, 6:45 am

Got one one a scat 4.300 and a Callie’s 4.75 and have never had an issue.

You have it on the right direction?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 15th 2018, 11:15 am

dfree383 wrote:Got one one a scat 4.300 and a Callie’s 4.75 and have never had an issue.

You have it on the right direction?

Yup I sure do as it only goes one way
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 15th 2018, 1:05 pm

The Bee pulley does not go on sloppy like the chain gears.....interference fit. Have you measured the interference?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 15th 2018, 4:23 pm

57ford custom wrote:I am building a 526 BBF and I am putting on a Danny Bee belt drive for the cam. I went to install the bottom pulley and it wouldn't go on the whole crank snout up to the front main bearing. It appears that there is a small about .004 raised area on the Scat crank that runs to the front main bearing face. Has anyone experienced this problem? I called Danny Bee and they apparently weren't aware of this larger diameter as the bottom pulley will not go on with this 004 interferance. I checked on the stock craank that I removed and it also has this larger Diameter for about 3/4 of an inch also and the pulley will not go all the way on it either. Their solution in the instructions were to emery paper the crank a little to make it fit. But the tech even agreed with me that sanding off almost .004 to make it fit was more than they allowed for. Has anybody experienced this? So far my solution is to hone the inside of the Danny Bee bottom pulley to make it fit as when I talked to their tech guy they weren't about to change their pulley's inner diameter. It does fit very good up until that point. I thought about heating it up to make it fit but then figured it would be hell to pay when trying to remove it without more heat. Evil or Very Mad

you need to hone the lower DANNY BEE hub to fit your crank, They should not be a loose fit
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Danny Bee belt drive Empty bottom pulley

Post  57ford custom February 15th 2018, 9:30 pm

I ordered a small flex hone to do just that today. Sometimes it seems for the money you pay for good stuff it should go right together but we all know that it doesn't always work that way even with the best quality equipment. Shocked
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 15th 2018, 9:32 pm

so, how much is the interference? It's not susposed to go on by hand.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 15th 2018, 9:34 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The Bee pulley does not go on sloppy like the chain gears.....interference fit. Have you measured the interference?

Yup and it appears to be about .003 or .004
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 15th 2018, 9:37 pm

So, is the crankshaft big or is the I.D. of the pulley small ?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 15th 2018, 9:47 pm

Lem Evans wrote:So, is the crankshaft big or is the I.D. of the pulley small ?

The crank is too big for the last 3/4 of an inch in front of the front main. I contiplated sanding down this small area by hand with some emery paper but decided on the hone job on the pulley instead.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 15th 2018, 9:51 pm

10-4

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 15th 2018, 10:25 pm

Lem Evans wrote:10-4

Thanks Lem. This is the engine I detailed in an earlier post that I will be dynoing with 3 different  carbs on it. A pair of 750 edelbrocks and a pair of 750 Holley vacumn secondary carbs and a different top on the old Weiand with 1050 dominators so it hopefully will be fun. Very Happy
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Danny Bee belt drive Empty It's on

Post  57ford custom February 17th 2018, 1:15 am

The 1 3/8  120 grit and 240 girt ball hones arrived today and with some honing with a drill after a bunch of cutting and trying it finally felt right so I knocked and filed a bit to get the epoxy out that I had put in to fill the keyway and put it on. I have a Romac balancer and that feels kind of tight so tomorrow I will see how that is going to fit. Any suggestions on how much of an interference fit I should have on that in case I have to do the same to that. Shocked
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 17th 2018, 11:19 am

.001" press on the damper is enough.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 17th 2018, 11:44 am

Lem Evans wrote:.001" press on the damper is enough.

Thank you I will try for that
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Danny Bee belt drive Empty Tight lower pulley

Post  57ford custom February 21st 2018, 1:08 pm

I bought 2 ball hones 1 3/8's one a 120 and 1 a 240 grit and hone the pulley out. It now is on and the Romac balancer was a bit tight also so needed to hone that out too it's now on. Then the crank trigger needed to be mounted on the drivers side lucky that was an easy move but no timing pointer was adaptable so back to the drawing board and I made one. Then with the Danny Bee no out of the box way to mount the alternator so back to the drawing board. Messed around with some small square tube steel and flat stock most of a day yesterday and it is now mounted high on the passenger side. When this thing is done I will post a couple of pictures before the dyno runs if I can figure out how to do it, if not then maybe I can send the pics to someone who does know how. I just read the numbers of the out of the box AFR headed engine made WOW those are very good numbers. I will be happy with close to 800 and anything more should be frosting on the cake. My chassi is only good for 10.00 but at the end of the day. Shocked
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 21st 2018, 1:10 pm

Looks like I repeated myself on a couple of things sorry about that but seems to be age related LOL
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil February 21st 2018, 1:32 pm

Hope ya got a BIG brake pedal with 800HP and a 10.00 chassis !!

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 21st 2018, 2:44 pm

4 wheel disc brakes and a homemade throttle stop Very Happy when and if needed as the car weighs over 3500 lbs with me in it. I am a realist as the car went at its best a few year ago 10.20 at 133 with my 545 that I borrowed to my brother and is still in his Fox body coupe. Smile
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett February 26th 2018, 9:52 am

Is your crank a boss snout or stock length snout? just curious what you did for the space between the lower belt pulley and the balancer. Getting ready to do the same, but I have a stock length snout and looks like I'll be using the stock style internal balance spacer sleeve as a spacer between them, unless I'm missing something.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 26th 2018, 11:15 am

Stock length crank and I used the stock spacer between the Romac balancer and the belt drive lower pulley.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 26th 2018, 11:22 am

Come to think of it, I am not sure but I believe that my space was shortened many years ago so the balancer was a length that was better suited for my pulley arrangement at that time.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down