BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutting boggers

3 posters

Go down

Cutting boggers Empty Cutting boggers

Post  FORDMUD February 26th 2018, 11:11 pm

Bought a G1000, planning to cut some 39.5x18 and 38.5x15. Does anyone have experience with how deep you can cut the sidewalls and between the lugs. I'm not looking to cut out every possible ounce. I'm looking for a compromise between bite and durability.
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Cutting boggers Empty Re: Cutting boggers

Post  ROAD RAGE February 27th 2018, 8:04 am

Between the lugs (short ones) I cut down to tire (all), Sawall w/wood blade.
The longer lug's are cupped pretty good, (left alone) They WILL bite like crazy. Some will put you in a upper class, or outlaw totally.. Of course hard surface will ware them down pretty quick.
Hope this helps.....
ROAD RAGE
ROAD RAGE

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDMUD March 2nd 2018, 5:33 pm

I cut the small lugs out with an air hammer and chisel type attachment. I'm planning to use a tire groover to cut down close to the chords. I'm wondering how deep they are. I was planning on starting at .375 deep for the 39.5s.
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 5th 2018, 4:14 pm

You can get almost 1/2" out of the sides/edges and closer to 1/4" in the center to get you right above the cords. Just an FYI, but the heavy duty 3/4" wide van alstine flat bottom blades work the best and make the cleanest cuts. Take your time, make sure the groover is hot, the tire is warm, and it will look good when finished. If you are going this far, might as well do the back cut on the lugs and scoop them as well.

Oh, and to get the little lugs off, I just use a new/sharp 1" wide wood chisel and push it through. They come off nice and clean this way. Cool
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDMUD March 12th 2018, 3:49 pm

Kjett, Are you cutting between the treads or the sidewall first? And are you adjusting the cutter depth between the two?
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 13th 2018, 9:42 am

I've got the big Van Alstine groover with the heavy duty blades. I set depth at just under 1/2" then make a ring around the sidewalls. From there, I start in the center and work my way out to the edges cutting 1/4" in the center and driving the blade down to the 1/2" depth to get the upper corners down to the sidewalls. Usually make 1 pass and it's done. Takes lots of practice to get them right. I still get choppy sometimes and also cut into the 1st layer of cords. To be honest, if you don't have the groover yet ($400 just for the tool, $150 for the correct head, $20 per pack of 10 blades), and only plan to do 1 set, there are several places that cut tires for a couple hundred per tire and they look professional. RITD just lowered their prices because so many places have popped up and cutting for less. More competition means lower prices for us!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDMUD March 13th 2018, 10:55 am

Thanks for the info. I bought the G1000Hl, and they sent me the GV1000HL. The 2017 GV model doesn't take the HD blades. I called Van Alstine and they hooked me up with a newer model blade holder. Still fits on the head that comes on the GV series. They were real good to deal with. My plan is to cut 4 39.5s and 2 38.5s. I'm planning to start this weekend.
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down