BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing

+4
maverick
rmcomprandy
colorado ford man
JBR-3
8 posters

Go down

Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing Empty Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing

Post  JBR-3 March 1st 2018, 3:40 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on September 20th 2020, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing Empty Re: Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing

Post  colorado ford man March 1st 2018, 4:29 pm

I've battled this and haven't had much success; pb blaster helps if it is clean.

colorado ford man

Back to top Go down

Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing Empty Re: Distributor sticking in block, can't adjust timing

Post  rmcomprandy March 1st 2018, 8:31 pm

JBR-3 wrote:I've had this happen now on a couple of engines, big and small blocks. Can't rotate the distributor, can barely pull it out altogether.

Now I know it has to be a pretty close fit to hold the gear in proper mesh with the cam gear.

Anybody have a trick to share ? Just periodically pull it and re-lube  the distributor case with antisieze ?

No vacuum pumps on these engines.

I have used a large pipe wrench with heat and wax on some to get it free.
Sometimes, it will destroy the distributor.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 1st 2018, 9:54 pm

The engine may not require frequent timing adjustments, but it might help to turn that distributor and reset the timing occasionally....just because. And a shot of penetrating oil once in a while might head off the problem even if you're not making an adjustment at that time. I hate tearing up parts just because I ignored them for a while.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 2nd 2018, 9:24 am

Check the bore diameter. According to Ford's blueprint the bore dia, should be 1.5595/1.5610
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 March 2nd 2018, 7:37 pm

warm up the eng, then hit it with co2 , then this time while its out clearance the dist body
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 3rd 2018, 9:12 am

I have never measured the specs but when it starts to get sticky I take it out and just clean up the distributor with some emery cloth then grease the o-ring area. Of course if it's already seized then it's too late for this method.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 4th 2018, 1:30 am

I have noticed on a rebuilt engine that I sprayed paint on without covering up the hole good,I know halfass, it would be stuck. My 400 is stuck and will not turn,it's cracked from prizing on the vacuum advance. It was definitely a halfass painted when rebuilt. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down