BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stud/bolt torque

3 posters

Go down

stud/bolt torque Empty stud/bolt torque

Post  glenevans July 21st 2018, 12:28 pm

So I got the Milodon solid windage tray to replace the canton screen type windage tray. This new tray mounts with studs (4), with the smaller 3/8 extensions to attach the tray itself. The instructions say to torque the 4 studs to 85 ft.lb. with oil. My concern is this is quite lower torque number than the bolts in the other main caps. Anyone use this style tray? (C9 two bolt block, 4.50 stroke crank) Thanks!

glenevans

Back to top Go down

stud/bolt torque Empty Re: stud/bolt torque

Post  rmcomprandy July 21st 2018, 12:35 pm

glenevans wrote:So I got the Milodon solid windage tray to replace the canton screen type windage tray. This new tray mounts with studs (4), with the smaller 3/8 extensions to attach the tray itself. The instructions say to torque the 4 studs to 85 ft.lb. with oil.  My concern is this is quite lower torque number than the bolts in the other main caps. Anyone use this style tray?   (C9 two bolt block, 4.50 stroke crank)  Thanks!

Are the studs undercut on the shanks...? Or, the studs or nuts are made from a "not so good" material.

I can envision no other reasoning except it to be wrong for a 1/2" main stud.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans July 21st 2018, 12:44 pm

Will look at the hardware when I get home today, it looked like good quality. Said "made in USA" on package..........thanks Randy.

glenevans

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans July 21st 2018, 3:48 pm

Pulled up pics, kit #81190, looks like straight shank studs to me. Have to call Milodon on Monday maybe. Just seems like a big difference in torque from the 104 on the regular main bolts. Thanks

glenevans

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane July 21st 2018, 5:23 pm

glenevans wrote:...I got the Milodon solid windage tray...This new tray mounts with studs (4)...The instructions say to torque the 4 studs to 85 ft.lb. with oil.  My concern is this is quite lower torque number than the bolts in the other main caps. (C9 two bolt block, 4.50 stroke crank)  Thanks!

• Install and torque to spec OEM main bolts in those main caps where the Milodon fasteners will eventually go, measure & record the main bore diameters.
  • Remove the OEM main bolts and install Milodon fasteners and torque to spec per Milodon, again measure & record main bores, and compare to the OEM bolts' main bore measurements
  • If the main bore measurements are the same regardless of fastener, don't mess with the Milodon torque spec.  If they are different then start playing with Milodon torque spec until the main bore comes into alignment with the OEM bolt fastener spec.
  • How far you want to alter Milodon's torque spec (if necessary) is up to you.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans July 21st 2018, 10:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

glenevans

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans July 21st 2018, 10:12 pm

stud/bolt torque 20180710