BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's time to get on my 545

4 posters

Go down

It's time to get on my 545 Empty It's time to get on my 545

Post  Slowride July 23rd 2018, 10:13 pm

After shifting gears from building a 545 for my boat to putting it in a fiberglass '32, the time is here to pull the body and start building the motor. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do with what I've collected so far, what won't work near-term and what should be changed to build a better foundation for later. This will primarily be a drag car but occasionally taken out on the street to play.
What I have so far and what it's going in.
1932 fiberglass 3 window highboy w/ '32 TCI frame approx 2-2200 lbs
9" Curry 9+ rear, triangulated 4 link, 3.89's and spool
Short shaft C6, TCI street Fighter TC with anti-ballooning plate
D9TE block .030 over
Lunati forged 4.5 crank, 4340 rods, Probe forged 10.5:1, HS gold rockers
Edelbrock Victor 460, QF 950 dp, SCJ-A heads (new, untouched), Hamburger aluminum drag pan
Sanderson block huggers w/ 3" collector
Rear wheels will be 12x15 Sprints with 31X16.5R15LT's for the street and a similar size slick.

I am planning on back cutting the intake valves, but open to other suggestions while they're off. The Victor was to keep the carb height down under the engine cover, but now height is not an issue. The 950 was boat-related as well. The converter could use more stall I'm sure but I couldn't pass it up just to get the drivetrain complete and rolling. The spool was to get the rear rolling and set angles.... looking to use a Powertrax after it's fired up.
Obviously a mishmash of parts, but I don't think my expectations are REAL big. This is being built to have fun racing not a max effort drag car. It's what I'll be doing in my retirement with 3 drag strips close to where we'll be retiring. I would like to get 700hp out of this but I know myself.... if a change here or there gets me a few more horses I'm up for it. Cam has not been selected yet. I'm looking to turn around 6,200 rpm through the traps.
So any suggestions on what can be upgraded/replaced now for a better foundation later, what I can keep and cam suggestions. Would like a solid roller with hydraulic profile, but I know it's all about combination, so give me some suggestions and maybe a path to future improvements and upgrades. I'm not afraid of more horsepower, just don't have a blank check for the build.

Slowride

Back to top Go down

It's time to get on my 545 Empty Re: It's time to get on my 545

Post  BBFTorino July 23rd 2018, 11:40 pm

Just some of my thoughts here, so please don't kill me!!
The 950 carb is too small. You really need a 4500 series Dominator carb.
What size are the primary tubes on the block hugger headers??....if they are the typical street rod style with less than 2" inch primary's then I think they too, are too small.
As for other parts, I would get the heads ported to increase the airflow....not that they absolutely need it, but while they are off the motor, why not?? (I am admittedly one of those who likes excess when it comes to this stuff).
Camshaft....certainly a solid roller!!
What is your compression going to be??
At only 2200 lbs., that little booger is going to haul the mail Cool

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride July 24th 2018, 12:03 am

I appreciate the feedback. Primaries are 1-7/8" and compression is 10.5:1.
I agree about the carb size, but for the boat it was intentionally undersized and the intake was matched to it. Thinking this will get me running and I can build up after. SCJ port headers aren't really common and with street being a reality went with the Sandersons. Customs later if/when the budget permits.
A lot of this is making what I have work otherwise I would have gone with more compression, other heads with a Dominator and a Mafia intake. Maybe it'll go that way, but that's why feedback on an upgrade path is appreciated.

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino July 24th 2018, 12:43 am

Certainly all the parts you have will get it up and running. With the small'ish carb and headers, I bet the low and mid range torque will be incredible!!
Be careful that the booger don't get away from you on the street with radial tires!! Very Happy

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane July 24th 2018, 2:28 pm

I don’t think different carb and heads are mandatory, I think 700 hp is possible with what you have thus far. There would be a lot of rubbing on top end parts that you have, and the cam will be big enough that you might need to forego power brakes.  And even if you came up shy of 700 I’m certain the overall engine power (torque) will not only satisfy you but keep your hands plenty full driving that ‘32.

Worst case scenario: if you want to step up power later then you’d only need to look at induction and exhaust (ie, bolt-ons).
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 24th 2018, 3:00 pm

Your already going to have way way more power that a street rod needs, I’d concentrate on making it driveable and comfortable for cruising.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride July 24th 2018, 7:51 pm

Paul Kane wrote:I don’t think different carb and heads are mandatory, I think 700 hp is possible with what you have thus far. There would be a lot of rubbing on top end parts that you have, and the cam will be big enough that you might need to forego power brakes.  And even if you came up shy of 700 I’m certain the overall engine power (torque) will not only satisfy you but keep your hands plenty full driving that ‘32.

Worst case scenario: if you want to step up power later then you’d only need to look at induction and exhaust (ie, bolt-ons).
It's a bit of juggling trying to weigh the benefits of stepping up now (how, and how $$) or knowing the foundation will respond to those induction and exhaust upgrades later.
I'm used to short wheelbase cars so it's not so much the HP that concerns me it's the setup. I'm a little apprehensive about a triangulated 4 link hooking up but there's only one way to find out. Worst case, break out the plasma cutter and go with something more tuneable.
Cam isn't a problem as the vacuum pump is on it's way. Very Happy

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride July 24th 2018, 7:56 pm

dfree383 wrote:Your already going to have way way more power that a street rod needs, I’d concentrate on making it driveable and comfortable for cruising.
Comfort is a relative thing. It's going to be a little "sparse" in there.
It's time to get on my 545 Harness1

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 25th 2018, 6:38 am

Slowride wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Your already going to have way way more power that a street rod needs, I’d concentrate on making it driveable and comfortable for cruising.

Run on cheap gas, not run hot, not require frequent maintenance, idle decent, not require a loose convertor, run down the highway at 65+ mph not screaming, reasonable exhaust so it doesn’t drone in the car, AC is a wonderful thing in a Rod too.....

Build it radical, uncomfortable and undrivable it becomes unsellable too......

Just trying to share my experiance I have a Steel 34 sedan
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride July 25th 2018, 10:42 pm

dfree383 wrote:
Slowride wrote:

Run on cheap gas, not run hot, not require frequent maintenance, idle decent, not require a loose convertor, run down the highway at 65+ mph not screaming, reasonable exhaust so it doesn’t drone in the car, AC is a wonderful thing in a Rod too.....

Build it radical, uncomfortable and undrivable it becomes unsellable too......

Just trying to share my experiance I have a Steel 34 sedan  
Have pretty much all that with the '31. Nope, this one's gonna be really impractical.

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 26th 2018, 7:46 am

Me I like driving them and spending time on the road with them and 400-500hp is more than adequate to do 10’s in one or even 9’s. In a 2300# car.

Plus I hate working on maintenance all the time.

But to each his own.

I’d advise you to put a very well designed cage in the car too with the direction your heading, you not going to find may tracks that will let you run it with out one.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride July 26th 2018, 7:54 pm

dfree383 wrote:Me I like driving them and spending time on the road with them and 400-500hp is more than adequate to do 10’s in one or even 9’s. In a 2300# car.

Plus I hate working on maintenance all the time.

But to each his own.

I’d advise you to put a very well designed cage in the car too with the direction your heading, you not going to find may tracks that will let you run it with out one.
I get what your saying. This car is the race car side of street legal and won't be going on rod runs or cruises any time soon. Occasional streetlighting, but the majority of the time it'll be on the track.
The roll cage I've designed is far more than most would put into a car like this. Think double hoop funnycar style. Smile

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down