BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEED advice on an engine build....

+3
rmcomprandy
dfree383
racinghabbit
7 posters

Go down

NEED advice on an engine build....  Empty NEED advice on an engine build....

Post  racinghabbit August 26th 2018, 10:42 pm

I have a 473bbf with dove heads and does not run on pump gas. on a chassis dyno it put 310hp to rear tires and 372 ft pounds of torque.. I want to make a pump gas motor... I Have 2 options and i want to know what you guys think is the best route....

Option 1 - take the lower end of the 473 and put edelbrock 95 cc aluminum heads on it.. with custom grind hyd flat tap cam.

Options 2 - I have a 69 block and crank i can offset grind to a 501 stroker with 6.700 h beam rods and srp154166 dish -28cc pistons and use my Dove heads on it with a custom grind cam also.

I plan on running this motor in a 1983 f100 daily driver , NOT racing at all ... so i really want the seat of your pants feeling... Whats going to get me there...
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

NEED advice on an engine build....  Empty Re: NEED advice on an engine build....

Post  dfree383 August 27th 2018, 7:44 am

Do the aluminum head with a little porting IMO
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

NEED advice on an engine build....  Empty Re: NEED advice on an engine build....

Post  rmcomprandy August 27th 2018, 8:55 am

racinghabbit wrote: I have a 473bbf with dove heads and does not run on pump gas.  on a chassis dyno it put 310hp to rear tires and 372 ft pounds of torque..   I want to make a pump gas motor...  I Have 2 options and i want to know what you guys think is the best route....

Option 1 -  take the lower end of the 473 and put edelbrock 95 cc aluminum heads on it.. with custom grind hyd flat tap cam.

Options 2 - I have a 69 block and crank i can offset grind to a 501 stroker with 6.700 h beam rods and srp154166 dish -28cc pistons and use my Dove heads on it with a custom grind cam also.

I plan on running this motor in a 1983 f100 daily driver , NOT racing at all ... so i really want the seat of your pants feeling...  Whats going to get me there...

if it really is entirely a street engine/vehicle, I would go for the more cubic inches.
Why not get the extra inches using different pistons and SCJ aluminum heads...?  
That will get you the most "bang for the buck".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 27th 2018, 3:40 pm

I don't want to completely tear apart the motor I have. The short block is only 3 years old. so I want to go one way or the other.
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr August 27th 2018, 4:08 pm

For the quick and dirty do the aluminum heads. Then as you can afford it , build the 501 with the dove heads , and sell or install it and sell the 473 to recover cash. Both engines could easily be sold. I am constantly building an engine for myself for an upcoming project. Every once in a while I get to keep one as they usually sell before I can use them myself. On those rare occasions where I do get to use one , the old one normally sells for more than the cost of new one despite being used.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 27th 2018, 5:03 pm

what will have more torque?
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 August 27th 2018, 5:09 pm

What is it that makes the current combo not run on pump gas?

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 27th 2018, 5:21 pm

11:7 to 1 compression ratio.....
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 August 27th 2018, 5:27 pm

What about fly cutting the current pistons and getting a cam ground to reduce the dynamic compression?

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 27th 2018, 5:44 pm

current pistons are hyper and not worth fly cutting.. best left as a good short block.
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 August 27th 2018, 5:58 pm

Fair enough

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 27th 2018, 10:58 pm

i myself thought the 501 with dove heads would make more torque....

racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 August 27th 2018, 11:28 pm

Either way I'd use a hydraulic roller cam. The top end swap would be less work, faster turn around time and probably cheaper. No trip to the machine shop.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino August 28th 2018, 1:11 am

racinghabbit wrote:11:7 to 1 compression ratio.....
How about swapping on some thicker head gaskets??

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 28th 2018, 9:09 am

BBFTorino wrote:
racinghabbit wrote:11:7 to 1 compression ratio.....
How about swapping on some thicker head gaskets??

Somebody must manufacturer a head gasket which is .150" thick and turn it into a detonation prone, open chamber, pump gas, engine ... right?

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 28th 2018, 9:25 am

NO NO NO to any thicker head gasket....

The whole point of my post was to hopefully get feedback on what street setup would give you more lowend torque for the sweet feeling in the seat of your pants...

I have several 460's.... built in several configurations.... most are not streetable.

My 83 f100 I currently have a bone stock 460...

COST is the same if I build a 501 and use my already done up dove heads or buy heads for my 473 complete lowerend.

I do not what to build a complete motor and spend 5k... I want to spend $2500 and have it all done....
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 28th 2018, 6:16 pm

racinghabbit wrote:NO NO NO to any thicker head gasket....

The whole point of my post was to hopefully get feedback on what street setup would give you more lowend torque for the sweet feeling in the seat of your pants...

I have several 460's.... built in several configurations.... most are not streetable.

My 83 f100 I currently have a bone stock 460...  

COST is the same if I build a 501 and use my already done up dove heads or buy heads for my 473 complete lowerend.

I do not what to build a complete motor and spend 5k... I want to spend $2500 and have it all done....

More cubic inches with a smaller, higher velocity port head, (like a big valve D0VE), will easily provide more torque at lower engine speeds.  Especially with a closed exhaust system.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down