BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey, from N Arizona

4 posters

Go down

Hey, from N Arizona Empty Hey, from N Arizona

Post  70torinocobra September 20th 2018, 6:51 pm

I have been watching this forum for about 5 years now. I'm an old disabled vet living in northern Arizona. Not looking for any sympathy, just explaining why I'm not so fast anymore. Anyway, I started a project about 10 years ago. I have a 1970 Torino Cobra that I was going to put a 545" BBF into. I have been building cars and engines for most of my 72 years. I guess this is my last one and it is for ME. I collected a lot of parts in the beginning, but then there were health problems. I'm doing better now so I have to get it done before I do something stupid and get hurt again. Finally, my question. Living in Cottonwood Arizona there isn't much around for machine shop and the like. I haven't lived in Phoenix for about 20 years, so those that I knew are mostly gone now. I'm looking for someone who can do a decent job of porting my Blue Thunder aluminum heads. I guess they are considered as Raw. The guides and seats are installed but not cut to size. The ports and chambers have been rough C&C milled. I'm looking to get about 700 hp out of this engine. When I started this project that was a do-able number. Now  they are making over 1000 HP. I will still be happy with my #'s. I never wanted to be on the ragged edge with this motor, just a really decent street motor that can be driven, lots. Would I be $ ahead getting newer heads or having my BT's ported? Wow, this got really long. Thank you to anyone who made it to the end.

Last edited by 70torinocobra on September 20th 2018, 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : couple of mistakes)

70torinocobra

Back to top Go down

Hey, from N Arizona Empty Re: Hey, from N Arizona

Post  BBFTorino September 21st 2018, 12:59 am

Welcome!! You certainly have a great car to build!! Have any pics of it??
I think the Blue Thunder heads are great working heads, and of course there are newer, better flowing heads on the market today, but you already have them, and they will certainly support 700+ horsepower for your goals.
As with any other uni-body car, you better plan on some kind of subframe connectors, and any other chassis strengthening / re-enforcing.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Hey, from N Arizona Empty machine shop?

Post  kapie9969 October 7th 2018, 3:19 pm

I read there is a machine shop in Flagstaff. I have never used them. I am considering them for my engine work. Only one I have seen advertised. I tried looking up the name and I guess there is more than one. I just don't have space now to volunteer for such a job. Maybe send them off to someone who specializes in such work? Sounds like an exciting build.Lots of money.

kapie9969

Back to top Go down

Hey, from N Arizona Empty machine shops/engine builders

Post  hbstang October 11th 2018, 10:07 am

i would take those heads to Brian Duffe in north phoenix.he is a ford guy and really knows cyl head work.well worth the drive.he has done work for me and my friends in the phoenix area.he has a website.Duffe Motorsports.
hbstang
hbstang

Boss9F100 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hey, from N Arizona Empty Re: Hey, from N Arizona

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down