BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Pipe orientation

2 posters

Go down

X-Pipe orientation Empty X-Pipe orientation

Post  t120r November 22nd 2018, 1:40 pm

So I'm installing the magnaflow kit on my '66 Bronco and everything fits fine except for the supplied x-pipe assembly. It probably works fine with the stock drivetrain, but with my BBF/ZF5/NP205, it isn't going to happen. So without cutting, chopping and introducing bad angles, I have decided to use a spare X-Pipe that I have on the shelf. This will allow me better placement of the x-pipe in relation to the tcase output as well as better angles for the tubing to the outside of the frame for fenderwell headers.

Before I get too far into this, my X-pipe is not symmetrical. One side of the X is a little narrower than the other. I want to orientate it like in the picture. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Will make packaging so much easier.

X-Pipe orientation 51eqs3

t120r

Back to top Go down

X-Pipe orientation Empty Re: X-Pipe orientation

Post  TravisRice November 22nd 2018, 9:06 pm

Need to look at the inside of that X pipe if you tuned the orientation 90 as it appears you have done. And maybe your X pipe is made differently inside than all the ones I've done.

If you break an x pipe down from side to side, basically you have a 90 bend and a 90 bend with the back cut out of them, and what they are doing is merging the pipes together without hindering the flow as both 90s are still open on each side without restricting flow on each side.

Now take the same X and turn it just 90. What is happening now is both sides are being forced through the merge hole that unites the 2 90s together. One bend or 90 is tied to both the right and left before the X and the other 90 is on the exit side. The exhaust only has the merge hole to pass through and not the rest of the open tubing as there is none when installed this way.

The X pipes I have installed are typically 2 - 90 bends with the backs cut out and welded together and they can only be installed correctly one way. Your appears to be stamped or made a little different than Im used to seeing so it could be Ok the way it is if the inside is completely open with some pipe stubs on all 4 corners.

Hate to see you get it all together and it don't run worth a crap, and it could turn out to be one of those things that is near impossible to find and diagnose.

Hope this helps a little,
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

eagle275 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  t120r November 22nd 2018, 11:15 pm

I never thought to look inside of it to be honest. That's a great idea. Hopefully there's no obvious restrictions there. Thanks for the tip.

t120r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down