BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 Link Bracket Question

3 posters

Go down

4 Link Bracket Question Empty 4 Link Bracket Question

Post  Stimie November 30th 2018, 10:51 pm

My frame rails are 20" wide out side edge to outside edge. My rearend brackets are are 20" wide center to center of each bracket. This is causing the bars to run in about 3/4" on each side. My question is how will this effect how the car launches or handles?

Stimie

Back to top Go down

4 Link Bracket Question Empty Re: 4 Link Bracket Question

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 1st 2018, 5:01 am

Is this a "drag race" style 4-link setup (fairly tall chassis & housing brackets with many holes), or a "street rod" style 4-link/4-bar setup (fairly short chassis & housing brackets with limited hole choices)?

Also how long are the 4-link bars?

Obviously if it's an aftermarket "drag" style 4-link setup that's designed to have the chassis & housing brackets directly inline then that would be best. But if the upper & lower 4-link bars are fairly long then a little offset front-to-back might be workable & not be a deal breaker as long as the housing is kept centered.

Got any pics of the setup?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Stimie December 1st 2018, 7:55 am

the link bars are a tad over 19" long. It is a drag race only car. I'm thinking I will have to cut off the brackets and move them in to where they are in line with the frame brackets.

Stimie

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 1st 2018, 10:43 pm

I would think that is the best thing to do. You dont want any kind of binding going on. With long bars, the binding would not be as bad, but with short ones, you would feel it a whole lot more!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 2nd 2018, 5:31 am

Stimie wrote:.............I'm thinking I will have to cut off the brackets and move them in to where they are in line with the frame brackets.

If you do cut off the old housing brackets & weld on new ones don't forget to have the housing checked for centerline straightness/alignment after the welding is done. Heat from cutting & welding the brackets can warp the housing's axle tubes a given amount to where the housing ends might not line up on-center any more (requiring you to cut off & re-weld the housing ends with a housing jig to fix the alignment problem).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down