BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some tools? Recommendations...?

+4
QtrWarrior
stanger68
rmcomprandy
jbozzelle
8 posters

Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  jbozzelle March 11th 2019, 12:42 pm

Thought I had another thread with this in it but couldn't find it.

Anyway, will be putting together a 572 soon here. 4.5 bore, 4.5 stroke and am looking to buy some quality tools. Will need to check dimensions on pistons, bore, rod journals/bore and main journal/bore.

Any suggestions on what to spend my money on?

jbozzelle

Posts : 3698
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 47
Location : New Orleans

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  rmcomprandy March 11th 2019, 1:21 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Thought I had another thread with this in it but couldn't find it.  

Anyway, will be putting together a 572 soon here.  4.5 bore, 4.5 stroke and am looking to buy some quality tools.  Will need to check dimensions on pistons, bore, rod journals/bore and main journal/bore.

Any suggestions on what to spend my money on?

If you not doing it for a living or building a lot of engines then you don't need really good meaduring tools, just acurate ones.

There are many offshore, inexpensive dial bore set-ups on Ebay which are copies of the Mitutoyo stuff and are accurate.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5695
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  stanger68 March 11th 2019, 7:02 pm

I have Fowler gauges and they seem to be pretty consistent and affordable. Years ago I think they were American made but not now they are made in China. I’ve always heard steret to be the accepted leader. But they like mititoyo stuff Randy mentioned are expensive. I’m not a machinist though just what I’ve heard from a couple friends that are.

stanger68

Posts : 385
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  QtrWarrior March 11th 2019, 7:48 pm

John,

Pm me a list of what you're looking for...

Between Dad and I, I ending up with ALOT of spare precision tools..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Posts : 2609
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 62
Location : Bloomingdale, Ga

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  cletus66 March 11th 2019, 11:32 pm

I have all the cool parts for a 572 also. I'm paying my neighbor to screw it together...(E.B. Porting)....Lem is gonna whittle me out a cam... Twisted Evil
cletus66
cletus66

Posts : 865
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 55
Location : Charles City, Virginia

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  HorsinAround March 12th 2019, 8:33 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Thought I had another thread with this in it but couldn't find it.  

Anyway, will be putting together a 572 soon here.  4.5 bore, 4.5 stroke and am looking to buy some quality tools.  Will need to check dimensions on pistons, bore, rod journals/bore and main journal/bore.

Any suggestions on what to spend my money on?

If you not doing it for a living or building a lot of engines then you don't need really good meaduring tools, just acurate ones.

There are many offshore, inexpensive dial bore set-ups on Ebay which are copies of the Mitutoyo stuff and are accurate.

3 decimal digital gauges are easy to come by. Some show 4 place but are not true 4 place so watch that. I found this out as I am looking myself.

Here is a link to a mic set that I am thinking about getting.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045UZGSC/?coliid=I8K24EY22F0J0&colid=3UUHANLHI2462&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And here is a digital dial gauge I'm looking at to replace the .000 dial gauge in my bore set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34R00Y/?coliid=I12N3THA8OL3XX&colid=3UUHANLHI2462&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Posts : 1159
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : North Central Indiana

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  jbozzelle March 12th 2019, 2:33 pm

cletus66 wrote:I have all the cool parts for a 572 also.  I'm paying my neighbor to screw it together...(E.B. Porting)....Lem is gonna whittle me out a cam... Twisted Evil

Blake is spec'ing one for this build.  I posted the parts and build over in the proven build section.

jbozzelle

Posts : 3698
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 47
Location : New Orleans

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  jbozzelle March 12th 2019, 2:34 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Thought I had another thread with this in it but couldn't find it.  

Anyway, will be putting together a 572 soon here.  4.5 bore, 4.5 stroke and am looking to buy some quality tools.  Will need to check dimensions on pistons, bore, rod journals/bore and main journal/bore.

Any suggestions on what to spend my money on?

If you not doing it for a living or building a lot of engines then you don't need really good meaduring tools, just acurate ones.

There are many offshore, inexpensive dial bore set-ups on Ebay which are copies of the Mitutoyo stuff and are accurate.

3 decimal digital gauges are easy to come by. Some show 4 place but are not true 4 place so watch that. I found this out as I am looking myself.

Here is a link to a mic set that I am thinking about getting.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045UZGSC/?coliid=I8K24EY22F0J0&colid=3UUHANLHI2462&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And here is a digital dial gauge I'm looking at to replace the .000 dial gauge in my bore set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34R00Y/?coliid=I12N3THA8OL3XX&colid=3UUHANLHI2462&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it


That mic set won't got big enough though. Need to measure a 4.5" piston

jbozzelle

Posts : 3698
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 47
Location : New Orleans

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  cletus66 March 12th 2019, 4:26 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
cletus66 wrote:I have all the cool parts for a 572 also.  I'm paying my neighbor to screw it together...(E.B. Porting)....Lem is gonna whittle me out a cam... Twisted Evil

Blake is spec'ing one for this build.  I posted the parts and build over in the proven build section.

I'll check it out. Cool
cletus66
cletus66

Posts : 865
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 55
Location : Charles City, Virginia

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  gt350hr March 13th 2019, 10:32 am

Of all places , try a pawn shop .lots of high quality tools from out of work mechanics. I buy Snap on stuff very cheap at some of the local ( so cal) shops.

gt350hr

Posts : 641
Join date : 2014-08-20
Location : Anaheim , CA

Back to top Go down

Need some tools?  Recommendations...? Empty Re: Need some tools? Recommendations...?

Post  Carbguy March 13th 2019, 5:36 pm

If this is just going to be a once in a lifetime build then I'd suggest supporting your local machine shop and working out something where you can take the parts there to measure. This way he'll still be there if and when you need him in the future rather than supporting the Chinese copies of products that put people out of business on a daily basis.

Carbguy

Posts : 18
Join date : 2018-08-16

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum