BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which push in modulator for a c-6

3 posters

Go down

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Empty Which push in modulator for a c-6

Post  manofmerc April 20th 2019, 7:17 am

This is for a f 250 mild build for towing and hauling .I plan on a trans go shift kit .Most of my older C-6s use a white stripe screw in modulator .Just need some info before I order my parts .This is a 1973 truck with a 360 engine .Future plans will be a 390 with a camshaft with 209 degrees duration at .050 9.5 compression .Thanks Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Empty Re: Which push in modulator for a c-6

Post  BBFTorino April 20th 2019, 1:40 pm

I think the green stripe one's are the one's that are adjustable, so you can tailor your shift points where you want them.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 21st 2019, 4:21 am

I cant say i've found a lot of difference on the adjustable types .
I set the preload on a set of scales to a set weight on the Transgo charts . Usually the adjuster screw goes in around 3-4 turns
Then ensure the pin is long enough to have some preload. I have found pin length can vary just in a modulator change alone

I can give you the transgo weights if you need

Gregaust

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 21st 2019, 4:33 am

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Z-Ford%20shifting%20probs_zps0sfevpi3

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Empty Good info.

Post  manofmerc April 23rd 2019, 6:37 am

It seems to me at one time I saw where there was a desirable black stripe and a purple stripe as well .Probably go with a green stripe but it probably really doesn't matter .This old c-6 was probably built long ago .It shifts ok but sometimes slips on the 2-3 shift .I checked the pressures and they are 50-60 lbs .Reverse was 90 .I just got to get off my butt and pull this old slipper .Thanks Doug . afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 25th 2019, 4:40 am

That pressure seems low . You may try screwing in what you have if it's adjustable . That will bump line pressure a tad ..

If the valvebody is standard , in the oil looks ok and pan cleanish a shift kit MIGHT help

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Empty Low pressures and a sprag question

Post  manofmerc April 26th 2019, 8:00 am

Yes sir those pressures are low .I would imagine if they had been taken with hot fluid they would have been much lower .And I did screw in my modulator it raised my shift points a bit but really this one needs to come out. Now is when I usually get busy so not much time to pull a transmission .I do welding for a pipe line company (sewer storm drain water) so at least I will have some $ coming in On another note I cant find a proper sprag for my c-6 .I received one for a e40d have you used one of these with much success ? I am skeptical supposedly you install it without the two retaining rings .That's something I don't have much confidence in .It seems no one can find a c-6 sprag .I tried this e4od in a spare c-6 I have it fits fine without the retaining rings .Just not to my liking .What you think Mr. Greg ?.Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 27th 2019, 2:57 am

Hey Doug , Yes I have used those plastic cage ones a few times . Like you I was nervous at first , they just didn't seem right. They basically just sit in the drum with clips removed , it is rotated to lock it in place .
They've not given me any issues .. I did see somewhere they were considered better with a wider roller but I've not compared the two.

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Which push in modulator for a c-6 Empty I know

Post  manofmerc April 29th 2019, 5:26 am

Thanks for that vote of confidence ! Its just hard for me to imagine installing that new style sprag without those retaining rings .But really it just sits there any way .Somehow I just know there is a box full of the correct c-6 sprags just waiting for an old knucklehead like me .But just where that is I don't know .Always good to chat with you Greg thanks for your help.Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 30th 2019, 4:18 am

I've been lucky and still been able to buy the original types sometimes through my supplier. I do agree i much prefer the metal type with clips just seems more sturdy.

Just looked back in my records 2014 was first of the plastic I used and still out there going ok Smile

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc May 1st 2019, 4:54 am

I have only looked online and made some cell phone calls but most sprags now are the new style .I think the old ones are still available but most suppliers don't stock the old style .Or they are to lazy to order one .I guess a trip to Australia is in order! You know I might give Frank a call he might know where I can find one.Thanks again Greg .Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust May 1st 2019, 4:55 am

Frank may know or have a supplier . I did ask him years ago re the plastic type but he'd not used them back then

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down