BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox body c4 transmission crossmember

4 posters

Go down

Fox body c4 transmission crossmember Empty Fox body c4 transmission crossmember

Post  jpierce55 August 23rd 2019, 2:59 pm

I have always used my old t5 crossmember, but now the engine/transmission sit lower. The transmission has to be lifted for the crossmember to go in. I am afraid it would be too much pressure, although it seem to go back to natural resting level once mounted. The problem is it is solid mount to the crossmember to fit, no rubber/poly. The engine is on motorplates, so I need something that allows room for poly/rubber mounts.

Anyone have suggestions on a good aftermarket unit?

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Fox body c4 transmission crossmember Empty Re: Fox body c4 transmission crossmember

Post  BBFTorino August 23rd 2019, 7:52 pm

Build some extenders to lower the crossmember accordingly.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Fox body c4 transmission crossmember Empty Re: Fox body c4 transmission crossmember

Post  jpierce55 August 23rd 2019, 8:07 pm

I think I would get into exhaust clearance issues

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 August 25th 2019, 4:27 pm

I checked and may be able to do that...but the pass side mount for the xmember doesnt havr much materisl. Have you had success doing this?

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R August 26th 2019, 6:43 pm

they should just be L brackets spot welded to the floor pan, make some longer tabs and either double them up or remove the short ones and weld on the new ones

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 August 26th 2019, 7:40 pm

I know where I can have some cut, I cant weld but can probably get someone over. Winter project in this regard. I need to repaint the underside.

The biggest part of the new alterations...the wife insists on ac....so we can enjoy it together.

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 September 5th 2019, 9:13 am

Any opinion on the thickness of the rubber/poly mounts? I used to just use what is essentially a rubber pad. I am just not sure if I should try to go to a thicker poly mount? I need to check but the rubber pad guessing by memory might be .75" roughly.

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT September 9th 2019, 8:10 am

jpierce55 wrote:I have always used my old t5 crossmember, but now the engine/transmission sit lower. The transmission has to be lifted for the crossmember to go in. I am afraid it would be too much pressure, although it seem to go back to natural resting level once mounted. The problem is it is solid mount to the crossmember to fit, no rubber/poly. The engine is on motorplates, so I need something that allows room for poly/rubber mounts.

Anyone have suggestions on a good aftermarket unit?

I have used the t-5 cross member for years with my 460/c4 combo. The engine sits on solid mounts, the cross member is has been converted to a solid mount, and the transmission sits on a rubber mount. I also have to lift my transmission to get the cross member bolted in, then I can lower my transmission onto the cross member. I've never had any issues.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down