BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another oil pressure question

4 posters

Go down

Another oil pressure question Empty Another oil pressure question

Post  460Dave December 8th 2019, 9:46 pm

I have a blown 514 that has been out of my hands for the last couple of years. When I had it before, the engine ran great and had good oil pressure. Now, when I start the car, it jumps to 60-70 psi and after a 15-20 seconds drops to 20, then fluctuates between 10 and 25 or so. It will increase with RPMs, but not much....something is wrong. I have not done any troubleshooting except checking oil level and putting another gauge on it. The new gauge reads the same. It has a remote oil filter. Any ideas on where to start looking for a problem? This is a show car and doesn't see any street or strip time.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Another oil pressure question Empty Re: Another oil pressure question

Post  lance flake December 8th 2019, 10:44 pm

Very likely to be a loose pick up screen.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  pedal2themetal45 December 11th 2019, 3:01 pm

How may miles since you had it have been put on it?? If it sat did you put fresh oil in it and what weight is it?? oil sitting out in the motor can go bad.
good luck
tim

pedal2themetal45

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 12th 2019, 6:40 pm

460Dave wrote:I have a blown 514 that has been out of my hands for the last couple of years.  When I had it before, the engine ran great and had good oil pressure.  Now, when I start the car, it jumps to 60-70 psi and after a 15-20 seconds drops to 20, then fluctuates between 10 and 25 or so.  It will increase with RPMs, but not much....something is wrong.  I have not done any troubleshooting except checking oil level and putting another gauge on it.   The new gauge reads the same.   It has a remote oil filter.  Any ideas on where to start looking for a problem?  This is a show car and doesn't see any street or strip time.
You need to figure out what changed over the last two years as this could be anything.  Was the engine cold-started and rapped up to rpm over and over at the shows for the last two years?  Did it just sit idle and the oil filter has collapsed? Etc.

I would start by changing the oil and filter, and if nothing changes then put front and rear oil pressure gauges on the F & R oil pressure ports (after verifying that both gauges read identically). Report back what you see with the F & R gauges, cold, hot, at idle, at 2500 rpm, etc.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down