BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crankcase evac system vs open breathers

+7
72mav
blown473
BOSS 429
westsideford
bbf-falcon
69F100
63boxtop
11 posters

Go down

crankcase evac system vs open breathers Empty crankcase evac system vs open breathers

Post  63boxtop December 25th 2009, 3:53 pm

for a bracket car, i'm not real up to speed on how this system works, i know what parts are required and how to plumb them but could use some of the knowledge out there on how it works vs. open breathers vs. pcv set up.

thanks
rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

crankcase evac system vs open breathers Empty Re: crankcase evac system vs open breathers

Post  69F100 December 25th 2009, 9:35 pm

from what I have understood when under full exceleration the pvc valve is not working because you loose all the vacume going to it and most race engines has limited vacume and not enough to run a pvc valve.I going to run a evac hose from my header to the valve cover on mine and open filter cap on the other valve cover. But that what have understood on the evac from pvc valve on most race engines.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

crankcase evac system vs open breathers Empty Re: crankcase evac system vs open breathers

Post  bbf-falcon December 26th 2009, 12:24 am

True on the PCV. The evac to the header collectors work great IF installed in the collector CORRECTLY. Until you get up in the big inch engines, then you need a vacumn pump.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop December 26th 2009, 12:40 am

from a post on the other forum that charlie had commented on they need to be installed at a 45 where the tubes transistion to the collector and pointing to the aft,

what are considered big inch engines?

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford December 26th 2009, 4:15 am

^^^ The fact that Monroso sells the kit, the directions are wrong to a point. What Charlie is saying is correct in the post you mentioned..

Big Ci is anything over 1 cubic inch.. Just depends on "How you look at it" Smile

cat
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop December 26th 2009, 9:48 am

they've actually changed thier directions so that the tube is intalled facing the right direction as charlie mentions but they don't mention on where in the collector to place it.

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 3rd 2010, 1:44 am

any engine will make more power with a vac pump,
it doesnt have to be big
ehx vac hoses work ok,and use to be the norm
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

crankcase evac system vs open breathers Empty e-vac system

Post  blown473 January 3rd 2010, 8:00 pm

A pcv valve in a race motor is counterproductive. As the other poster said a race motor won't create enough vacuum for it to work, and think about it; you wouldn't want hot internal engine air thats contaminated with oil and combustion by-products to be injected into the intake stream. It can actually cause detonation. You might ask Chuck on the "chuck-a-thon" part of this forum to take some pics of the collectors I donated to his rebuild; they are factory welded hooker collectors with the evacupan fittings installed. Would make for a good reference for the forum. They are simple and work good. A vacuum pump is superior, but the cost is much more.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav January 8th 2010, 5:03 pm

Big Ci is anything over 1 cubic inch.. Just depends on "How you look at it" Smile

cat[/quote]
clown
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 8th 2010, 5:10 pm

I personally like vacuum pumps over the collector style. I like the fact that on a vacuum pump setup you can tune the desired crankcase vacuum very easily. It does not take as much as some people think and too much is bad also.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore January 9th 2010, 6:33 am

63boxtop wrote:from a post on the other forum that charlie had commented on they need to be installed at a 45 where the tubes transistion to the collector and pointing to the aft,

what are considered big inch engines?

rick
You mean instead of the 1/2 pipe welded in pointed towards the front of the car there supposed to be welded in pointed towards the rear of the car??

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 9th 2010, 8:32 am

Tore wrote:
63boxtop wrote:.... installed at a 45 where the tubes transistion to the collector and pointing to the aft,
rick
You mean instead of the 1/2 pipe welded in pointed towards the front of the car there supposed to be welded in pointed towards the rear of the car??

Tore

That's what Rick said.

aft = rear
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 9th 2010, 8:37 am

69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 9th 2010, 12:24 pm

the tubes that are welded in the collector are suposed to be pointed toward the engine,THIS MEANS THE NIPPLE ENDaof the valve that is screwed on the welded in pipe, the angle end goes in collector,and its end points toward the rear of car, vlave to engine,this is so air passing by the angle cut end pulls crankcase presser from engine

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt January 9th 2010, 7:19 pm

So how does the open breather caps work? Or is it just a unjustified little air filter?
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 10th 2010, 2:39 am

Tennessee Bullitt wrote:So how does the open breather caps work? Or is it just a unjustified little air filter?

they dont, unless you connect them via a hose to the valve in the collector

ask 4eyed to post some pics on here,i did his last year

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt January 10th 2010, 2:35 pm

That is what I thought, I am going to run them to a evac hose to the collector.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down