BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  gcj March 30th 2021, 8:13 pm

Hi:

I am getting ready to assemble a mostly stock SCJ that will be installed in a ´72 Mach. We are trying to make everything look like Mr. Ford put it there. But I have these questions:

!. I have both Federal Mogul bearings ( main and rods) as well as Clevite CL-77: Which would you use? (Street duty only with max RPMs around 6000)
2. We are looking at a rebuilt Cardone 30-2873 Ford Duraspark distributor with an MSD 6AL w. rev limiter for ignition duty. Does anyone here know what the advance curve on these distributors is as stock? As far as I know, MSD ripped off the magnetic pickup and stator from the Ford dist to use in their pro billet distributors back in the 90´s. I have one on the shelf pn. 8477 that is broken as well as the Digital Six Plus.
3. Do you have any particular favorite starters? We are looking to buy a high torque mini starter, but too many of the units I have seen for sale are generic brands and unknown. Big names like MSD and other well known names are in the 500 - 1000 dollar range.

Thoughts?

G.

gcj

Posts : 49
Join date : 2012-03-11
Location : Europe

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  Uglytruck March 30th 2021, 11:43 pm

For the starter, I'm like you in that I don't care for a lot of the mini starters out there. Personally, I use the stock Delco unit that Ford used in and around '71. Gobs of torque and very reliable. I use one that I fished out of a '71 Merc wagon back in the 80's. 557 cubes, 15:1 compression methanol motor.

Uglytruck

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-01-05
Age : 62
Location : Sandy Oregon

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  5pointslow March 31st 2021, 8:32 am

why not use the gear reduction factory starter used in the mid 90s f250-f350 that had the 460s in them

cant beat for the price
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 32
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  lance flake March 31st 2021, 9:05 am

5pointslow wrote:why not use the gear reduction factory starter used in the mid 90s f250-f350 that had the 460s in them

cant beat for the price

This is what I use. Have better luck with those than the power master units.

lance flake

Posts : 115
Join date : 2009-12-28
Location : union ms

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  wickettoby1 March 31st 2021, 11:43 am

The factory gear reduction are great as long as you don’t need to clock the starter in a particular direction, that’s where an aftermarket with an adjustable nosecone comes in handy.

wickettoby1

Posts : 296
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  wickettoby1 March 31st 2021, 11:46 am

gcj wrote:Hi:

I am getting ready to assemble a mostly stock SCJ that will be installed in a ´72 Mach. We are trying to make everything look like Mr. Ford put it there. But I have these questions:

!. I have both Federal Mogul bearings ( main and rods) as well as Clevite CL-77: Which would you use? (Street duty only with max RPMs around 6000)
2. We are looking at a rebuilt Cardone 30-2873 Ford Duraspark distributor with an MSD 6AL w. rev limiter for ignition duty. Does anyone here know what the advance curve on these distributors is as stock? As far as I know, MSD ripped off the magnetic pickup and stator from the Ford dist to use in their pro billet distributors back in the 90´s. I have one on the shelf pn. 8477 that is broken as well as the Digital Six Plus.
3. Do you have any particular favorite starters? We are looking to buy a high torque mini starter, but too many of the units I have seen for sale are generic brands and unknown. Big names like MSD and other well known names are  in the 500 - 1000 dollar range.

Thoughts?

G.

Do you plan on hiding the 6AL box?

wickettoby1

Posts : 296
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty 6AL

Post  gcj March 31st 2021, 11:58 am

Hi, yes. If we use 6AL we will bolt it onto steel brackets to froont of the firewall, behind and under the air cleaner,

gcj

Posts : 49
Join date : 2012-03-11
Location : Europe

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  wickettoby1 March 31st 2021, 1:47 pm

Sounds like a fun project

wickettoby1

Posts : 296
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Project ´72 M1

Post  gcj March 31st 2021, 2:05 pm

It sure is. This ´72 M1 is in excellent condition. Buying parts for it all over the place, coast to coast, literally.

Can you direct me to a source for the F250 - 350 Starter?

Anyone care to comment on the question on the bearings, FM versus CL77 ?

Will share lots of pictures with you once we start the installation process, early May,

G.

gcj

Posts : 49
Join date : 2012-03-11
Location : Europe

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  dfree383 April 3rd 2021, 7:25 am

Either bearing should be fine in a stock type rebuild
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14395
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  G-Code April 4th 2021, 12:35 pm


I've had pretty good luck with the PowerMaster starters for a 460 in the boat over the years. They cost about $200.

G-Code

Posts : 160
Join date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  Paul Kane April 5th 2021, 12:13 pm

gcj wrote:Hi:

I am getting ready to assemble a mostly stock SCJ...We are trying to make everything look like Mr. Ford put it there. But I have these questions:

!. I have both Federal Mogul bearings ( main and rods) as well as Clevite CL-77: Which would you use? (Street duty only with max RPMs around 6000)
2. We are looking at a rebuilt Cardone 30-2873 Ford Duraspark distributor with an MSD 6AL w. rev limiter for ignition duty. Does anyone here know what the advance curve on these distributors is as stock? As far as I know, MSD ripped off the magnetic pickup and stator from the Ford dist to use in their pro billet distributors back in the 90´s. I have one on the shelf pn. 8477 that is broken as well as the Digital Six Plus.
3. Do you have any particular favorite starters? We are looking to buy a high torque mini starter, but too many of the units I have seen for sale are generic brands and unknown. Big names like MSD and other well known names are  in the 500 - 1000 dollar range.

Thoughts?

G.
1. The 1971 429 SCJ came with fully-grooved main bearings.  Given your period correct approach to the build I’d opt for the Clevites. If you are unable to find fully-grooved mains then you can make a set using only the upper shells from two bearing sets and about 20 minutes of simple machining.
2. A hidden Duraspark box would be more fitting to being Ford specific than the MSD box, and is fine to your engine’s peak rpm
3. 1993-up F250 mini starter would be my preference
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Posts : 959
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Mark Miller and wizardofx like this post

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  rmcomprandy April 5th 2021, 12:44 pm

[quote="Paul Kane"]
gcj wrote:Hi:

1. The 1971 429 SCJ came with fully-grooved main bearings.  Given your period correct approach to the build I’d opt for the Clevites. If you are unable to find fully-grooved mains then you can make a set using only the upper shells from two bearing sets and about 20 minutes of simple machining.
2. A hidden Duraspark box would be more fitting to being Ford specific than the MSD box, and is fine to your engine’s peak rpm
3. 1993-up F250 mini starter would be my preference

Personally, I would wire in a Ford divorced TFI module like used on the '94 Mustangs.
Those can be wired to be triggered with points type distributors.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5649
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Cardone Distributor

Post  Price5113 April 5th 2021, 3:04 pm

I would inspect the gear placement on the distributor when you have it in your hands. I have seen quite a few of the "rebuilder" units with the gear improperly installed, and with a used gear on them. As far as the curve in the distributor, who knows what set-up the  'rebulider' installs. You will have to dis-assemble and check the slot's & spring tension....................

Price5113

Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Don't trust a parts store starter

Post  wizardofx April 5th 2021, 9:43 pm

I have to wait 20 or more minutes to start my warmed up 460 with a parts store starter, even with a heat blanket. On the street this can be a dangerous situation if the car stalls in traffic on the highway. I'm driving to Summit next week to pick up a Protorque or Powermaster starter. I'm tired of waiting 20 minutes at the gas pump, which you KNOW we visit a LOT.

Bottom line- Heat soak sucks. Invest in a ministarter.



Last edited by wizardofx on April 5th 2021, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)

wizardofx

Posts : 7
Join date : 2014-08-15
Location : Sacramento, CA

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  BOSS 429 April 5th 2021, 11:31 pm

wizardofx wrote:I have to wait 20 or more minutes to start my warmed up 460 with a parts store starter, even with a heat blanket. On the street this can be a dangerous situation if the car stalls in traffic on the highway. I'm driving to Summit next week to pick up a Protorque  or Powermaster starter. I'm tired of waiting 20 minutes at the gas pump, which you KNOW we visit a LOT.

Bottom line- Heat soak sucks. Invest in a ministarter.




Install a start retard
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Posts : 2320
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  wizardofx April 6th 2021, 12:44 pm

Spark retard is part of a CD ignition. To switch to CD, I could just buy a better starter for the same or less $$

BOSS 429 wrote:
wizardofx wrote:I have to wait 20 or more minutes to start my warmed up 460 with a parts store starter, even with a heat blanket. On the street this can be a dangerous situation if the car stalls in traffic on the highway. I'm driving to Summit next week to pick up a Protorque  or Powermaster starter. I'm tired of waiting 20 minutes at the gas pump, which you KNOW we visit a LOT.

Bottom line- Heat soak sucks. Invest in a ministarter.




Install a start retard

wizardofx

Posts : 7
Join date : 2014-08-15
Location : Sacramento, CA

Back to top Go down

Building a ´71 SCJ now.  Empty Re: Building a ´71 SCJ now.

Post  BOSS 429 April 6th 2021, 12:59 pm

DOESNT MATTER which starter you buy, buy a start retard and your starter will thank you
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Posts : 2320
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

Dave De likes this post

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum