BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/2" to 5/8" studs strange axles

4 posters

Go down

1/2" to 5/8" studs strange axles Empty 1/2" to 5/8" studs strange axles

Post  Quattro March 14th 2022, 6:43 pm

I'm trying to find a machine shop in the Dallas area that change my 1/2" wheel studs in my Dana 60 with Strange axles to 5/8" I spoke with a couple of machine shops locally and they suggested I send them to Strange, I spoke with one last shop in the Dallas and he said he wouldn't send them to Strange because they (Strange) are too difficult to work with. Any suggestions?

Quattro

Back to top Go down

1/2" to 5/8" studs strange axles Empty Re: 1/2" to 5/8" studs strange axles

Post  BBFTorino March 14th 2022, 9:47 pm

Why not call Strange yourself and find out what they say?

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Quattro March 15th 2022, 7:31 am

Thanks, sometimes calling is best, I filled out the on line contact form yesterday asking about doing this and waiting on a response, but I'm calling them today and see what they say.

Quattro

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 March 15th 2022, 11:49 am

Are the studs press in or thread in? I would think that any decent machine shop would be able to help you out. Personally I’d have a hard time paying all of those shipping costs just to have Strange modify them.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  650jetmech March 15th 2022, 12:46 pm

Quattro wrote:I'm trying to find a machine shop in the Dallas area that change my 1/2" wheel studs in my Dana 60 with Strange axles to 5/8" I spoke with a couple of machine shops locally and they suggested I send them to Strange, I spoke with one last shop in the Dallas and he said he wouldn't send them to Strange because they (Strange) are too difficult to work with. Any suggestions?

I went thru this same thing last year. I ended up sending my axles in to Strange after failing to find a local shop who could do the job. Strange turned them around in about a week. Painless.

650jetmech

Back to top Go down

Post  Quattro March 15th 2022, 2:12 pm

As BBFTorino said, the best way to handle this situation is to pick up the phone and just talk to them. I called Strange this morning, they said they would do it as long as the axles had not been modified, such as welded on. They charge $90.00 + shipping for the pair, $45.00 extra if I have them R&R the bearings and a two week or less turn around time. The only machine shop that didn't just say "no" when I asked if they would do it, gave me a confidence inspiring "we'll figure out some way of doing this and it'll be $200.00 for the pair." Somehow his answer didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling...….. So I'm just going to remove the bearings and ship them off to Strange, as 650jetmech said "painless" Thanks for your input and logic. What's the old saying? never time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it over?? sometimes trying to save a some time creates big headaches!!

Quattro

Mark Miller and 650jetmech like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down