BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7.50 CERT UPGRADE ?

+11
Outlaw5.0
DILLIGASDAVE
Larry Williams
deliveredfast
whatbumper
jbozzelle
LUNCHBOX
bbf-falcon
D. Sea
Nevs
bruno
15 posters

Go down

7.50 CERT UPGRADE ? Empty 7.50 CERT UPGRADE ?

Post  bruno Thu 7 Jan - 12:21

So i was doing some pricing and to add the kidney bar and the foot bar and the 2 parellel bars to tie the foot bar in these guys want between 2500 - 3000 ..... theres maybe 100 in material needed ...why so much ?? does that sound right

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

7.50 CERT UPGRADE ? Empty Re: 7.50 CERT UPGRADE ?

Post  Nevs Thu 7 Jan - 12:22

Sounds high to me. I'd shop around some more.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea Thu 7 Jan - 12:23

bruno wrote:So i was doing some pricing and to add the kidney bar and the foot bar and the 2 parellel bars to tie the foot bar in these guys want between 2500 - 3000 ..... theres maybe 100 in material needed ...why so much ?? does that sound right

Nick,

OUCH! You need to bring your car to KY and have Bill update it for you. Look what' he's done with Chuck's new chassis Cool and he will save you a ton of $$$

Would be best to remove all the stuff first to save even more money but you would need to speak with Bill about that.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon Thu 7 Jan - 12:44

bruno wrote:So i was doing some pricing and to add the kidney bar and the foot bar and the 2 parellel bars to tie the foot bar in these guys want between 2500 - 3000 ..... theres maybe 100 in material needed ...why so much ?? does that sound right

I was talking to a friend of mine and yours couple days ago,and a really good chassis builder priced him a new chassis welded using all of his existing components for $3500

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  LUNCHBOX Thu 7 Jan - 14:43

Is that enough to get 7.50 cert. I'm getting ready to do a whole new cage for 8.50 cert. I thought you need a x-brace in the floor. It's not cheap to have somebody else do the work. We had our dragster up-graded an it wasn't cheap nice work though.
LUNCHBOX
LUNCHBOX

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle Sun 10 Jan - 12:17

I'd shop the price...

I'd talk to some guys on here as well. Bill is doing good work on Chuck's car. What about that guy that is finishing up David Willingham's truck? He's in AL as well. I'm sure there are more. Just can't think of them. I'm still on my first cup of coffee... Sleep

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Sun 10 Jan - 13:01

guys to complete my 7.50 cert i need bars 6a, 6b, 6c ,15 in cars of unibody construction do not need 8a or 8b and do not need 4 ( center x brace) from what i read and what i was told from nhra officials

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  LUNCHBOX Sun 10 Jan - 14:02

Did you get a pic of what its supposed to look like. Are you using m/s or chrome moly. Why not fit it yourself and get someone to finish weld it .
LUNCHBOX
LUNCHBOX

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Mon 11 Jan - 16:17

We did the 8.50 to 25.5 cert for less than $1000 including the welding but we already had a good chromoly 12 pt cage. We used a wolfe funny car kit and they supplied the remaining needed bars. No x under floor because of the stock floor. I agree with LUNCHBOX, buy the SFI book and do it yourself if you can TIG weld or just hire out the welding after you fit everything. Not that big of a job IMO.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  deliveredfast Wed 13 Jan - 21:10

I talked to guy here in MI and he quoted me 3800.00 for a 7.50 cert crome moly starting from scratch.
deliveredfast
deliveredfast

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams Wed 13 Jan - 21:17

Tean Z in Mi has good prices on cages

Look at their web site
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE Fri 15 Jan - 19:30

It's true that the center floor "X" (#4) & outboard floor diagonals (#8 A&B) might not be needed for a 25.5 cert on a car that still has the factory OEM rocker panels, door hinge pillars, firewall, & floors (welded to the inner frame rails/sub frame connectors). But adding these bars anyway is still a good idea for a few reasons. Even though they might not be "required" in this situation, they will add strength to the structure & make it more rigid. And if the bars are already there you wont have to add them later if you decide to upgrade. Just because the structure is SFI "safe" doesn't mean it's also as strong/rigid as it can be.

In my opinion if nothing else the center "X" really needs to be there in any situation regardless of the minimum rules just because it will keep the rear crossmember (#1) & inner frame rails (#2A) square to each other. Best way to keep a structure straight & square is to add a diagonal and/or an "X".
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlaw5.0 Mon 18 Jan - 20:15

Larry Williams wrote:Team Z in Mi has good prices on cages

Look at their web site
Plus their work is top notch.

Outlaw5.0

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Tue 26 Jan - 16:12

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:It's true that the center floor "X" (#4) & outboard floor diagonals (#8 A&B) might not be needed for a 25.5 cert on a car that still has the factory OEM rocker panels, door hinge pillars, firewall, & floors (welded to the inner frame rails/sub frame connectors). But adding these bars anyway is still a good idea for a few reasons. Even though they might not be "required" in this situation, they will add strength to the structure & make it more rigid. And if the bars are already there you wont have to add them later if you decide to upgrade. Just because the structure is SFI "safe" doesn't mean it's also as strong/rigid as it can be.

In my opinion if nothing else the center "X" really needs to be there in any situation regardless of the minimum rules just because it will keep the rear crossmember (#1) & inner frame rails (#2A) square to each other. Best way to keep a structure straight & square is to add a diagonal and/or an "X".

thxs for the input dave

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney Fri 29 Jan - 19:01

It was a shade over 3k for my 25.5 upgrade.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  feetfirst Wed 3 Feb - 13:53

No wonder I need an inner tube to sit down up here..........6000 + for a 8.50-25.5 upgrade, and 7500-10000 for a 25.5 cage.... Mad
feetfirst
feetfirst

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Wed 3 Feb - 14:57

feetfirst wrote:No wonder I need an inner tube to sit down up here..........6000 + for a 8.50-25.5 upgrade, and 7500-10000 for a 25.5 cage.... Mad

I'm in the wrong business. I did mine for less than a grand.

I guess I need to start bidding some jobs.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE Wed 3 Feb - 21:19

Guys need to remember that there are some things that will always effect the price range of estimates/quotes of chassis jobs from builders around the country. Of course how well known a shop is can effect the price range of work done. But if you remove how well known or "big name" any given shop is from the picture & just look at it from a operational standpoint...........

1 On a SFI 25.4, 25.5, or 10.4 chassis build ups, a build using 'moly tubing will always cost more than a build using mild steel. Some times a lot more.

2 Where the builder is located most likely will effect the dollar labor charge & cost of materials used because the area's cost of living & local economy effects the cost of the shop doing business.

3 More & more cool equipment in the shop causing labor to get done quicker & quicker doesn't always mean a lower labor charge. That equipment still has to be paid for.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Wed 3 Feb - 21:50

I know Duffy always bitches about being broke................ Laughing

Hard to imagine with the back log he has. Deal is its just him and his sheetmetal guy..........no parts runner or anything, and Lionel is damn near blind, cant drive anymore

Its damn hard to get him on the phone...........without his private cell # anyway........... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

7.50 CERT UPGRADE ? Empty cert. 7.50

Post  cobra79 Sun 7 Feb - 16:07

That sounds really high price wise just buy a pre- fab bar set and delete the bars u dont want. Easiest thing to do and cheapest then just hire a welder and then get it certified P.S. but a good welder look at his work first.

cobra79

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Tue 9 Feb - 9:45

richter69 wrote:I know Duffy always bitches about being broke................ Laughing

Hard to imagine with the back log he has. Deal is its just him and his sheetmetal guy..........no parts runner or anything, and Lionel is damn near blind, cant drive anymore

Its damn hard to get him on the phone...........without his private cell # anyway........... Very Happy

My car originally came from Duffy. We bought it from the guy it was built for. It was a good start to make the upgrade to 25.5.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams Tue 9 Feb - 9:52

feetfirst wrote:No wonder I need an inner tube to sit down up here..........6000 + for a 8.50-25.5 upgrade, and 7500-10000 for a 25.5 cage.... Mad

who gave you the quote?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down