BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller rocker damage

+5
BIGDOG466
mustangjeff
BOSS 429
68fstbck
4thHorseman
9 posters

Go down

Roller rocker damage Empty Roller rocker damage

Post  4thHorseman January 18th 2010, 10:15 pm

Anyone else ever bust a Scorpion RR on their BBF? I managed to. I swear, after grenading a UCC converter and now this I'm beginning to think my stang is cursed.

After bolting in some new Calvert 90/10's up front I took the car for a leisurely spin to clean out the cob webs. I merely leaned into it and not nearly 100%, well after it had reached 180 degrees engine temp. Suddenly the exhaust note changed to deep bass and power went away. I was able to limp it into the driveway. After getting it into my garage and pulling valve covers, The roller rocker on #1E was busted. The main aluminum body had split in 2 around the portion that houses the bearing which slides over the stud. No needle bearings in the motor or anything THANK GOD.

The valve train had not been messed with in 6 months. The car had its best passes ever with the new UCC in early fall. Valvetrain geometry looked fine to me but I'm no expert. I'm suprised as was the dude at Scorpion. Springs are the manley's that Kaase puts on his P-51's for solid rollers. Cam has .726 lift. All should be well within the specs of what the Scorpions can handle.

So, another warranty item and a cautious and thourough oil change. That's racing. Gotta love it.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Roller rocker damage Empty Re: Roller rocker damage

Post  68fstbck January 18th 2010, 10:52 pm

I've herd good things about scorpions and there warranty,let us know how your dealings with them go.

68fstbck

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 18th 2010, 11:46 pm

we have used them few times,no problems,they have been good, but i have seen the best break when lash was ran loose,or engine detnated, weak valve spring,tight giude, and of course valve to piston interfearance,will all do it!!
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  mustangjeff January 19th 2010, 1:40 pm

I had one break at the roller tip & sent it back to scorpion & let me tell you they definately stand behind there products.

mustangjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 January 20th 2010, 6:41 pm

I broke two of them at the bracket finals, don't know why. One broke and got trapped under the one next to it then it broke the stud and damaged another. Couldn't find anything wrong put new stud in and a old set of Dove rockers and went racing. I did go with a Jomar gridle from Charlie after that, and ordered a new set of doves, old set was ran for 12 years and I put about 250+ passes a year on it.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 20th 2010, 10:01 pm

I checked mt lash on the 15 survivors and they were good. Maybe that one was off. I run 30 degrees locked out. I guess it may have detonated (?) sometime recently and it cracked or just a casting flaw finally gave up. Plugs look good too. The whole motor has maybe a few thousand miles on it. It goes to the strip a couple of times a year. Heads were purchased new from Kaase 2 seasons ago. Piston to valve would've put me in a whole world of hurt before now I'd imagine. I slapped another old rr on it and fired it up with covers off to observe. All is good. Awaiting a replacement scorpion now.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 20th 2010, 10:18 pm

Sounds like they break .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 20th 2010, 10:22 pm

You might want to check your lifter on that valve ? At least watch the lash really close when you put another one on it. You could have a lifter going bad and lost your lash ?
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea January 21st 2010, 1:25 pm

But you do have stud girdles on the heads, correct?
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH January 22nd 2010, 9:33 am

don't see what detonation or lack of a stud girdle has to do with a broken rocker .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down