BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About to purchase a transmission!!

+8
the Coug
Nevs
studly
richter69
Copperhead
cool40
Oldani
jones
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

About to purchase a transmission!! Empty About to purchase a transmission!!

Post  jones Mon 8 Feb - 22:18

I have a couple of options, but I had a general question.

Is it unreasonable to ask the transmission builder what type of parts and how he builds a transmission? I have been talking to a couple of shops and some shops will tell you everything about the transmission you are going to buy. Then some shops will only tell me a price and what type of applications they have built the transmissions for. This a big purchase for my build and I get real nervous since my last transmission only lasted 3 months. What should I expect from the builder for my money? I know we all wish we could have a guarantee that the transmission would last forever but I know that a race part you can't. So I also have to look at the cost of shipping into the equation.

jones

Back to top Go down

About to purchase a transmission!! Empty Re: About to purchase a transmission!!

Post  Oldani Tue 9 Feb - 7:29

There's NO reason a builder should not detail what parts are going in there. I always do so and discuss needs/goals before beginning any build. That said, some places are pretty harsh and I know of some instances where they refused to go back into a trans after someone else had been inside. At times this can lead to issues when you build a trans especially if it's one that has already been built elsewhere. You may not even see some places that have been modified (especially case passages) and that can lead to real headaches.
Oldani
Oldani

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Wed 10 Feb - 12:16

I finally talked to the transmission builder from the shop I wasn't getting alot of info from. He was very nice and answer all my questions. Then the owner called me back to give me a final price. I'm glad I ended-up having a good phone conversation because this shop is alot closer than the other. Still nervous about spending the money but I do feel better.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Mon 5 Apr - 10:35

Transmission is bought and should be on the way in a couple of weeks!! Decided to go with the Broader c6, it's basicly his 1000hp transmission he offers except I will install the cast pan and little other itmes like that that would normally come on the 1,000hp unit! Can't wait for it to get here! Now all I need is a converter, driveshaft, cylinder heads and harmonic dampener.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Mon 5 Apr - 22:34

make the converter your best investment or the rest wont be worth a dam.all the power you can make has to get to the ground or its worthless. Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Mon 5 Apr - 23:51

I have talked to Lenny at Ultimate Converters and he has a good idea of what I am looking for. I just have to send him the new head flow numbers.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead Tue 6 Apr - 14:11

jones wrote:I have talked to Lenny at Ultimate Converters and he has a good idea of what I am looking for. I just have to send him the new head flow numbers.

Jones,

If you don't mind me asking, what's Lenny charging for a good C-6 convertor ?

I'm going to be in the market for one sometime this year and I was wondering what kind of $$ I'm looking to be out.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Tue 6 Apr - 15:39

I don't know, I'm tiring not to harass the man until I have the money and engine set in stone. I think he said it depends on my final cylinder head selection. PTC did quoted me $450 for a nitrous converter when I called them to price a transmission for me.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Tue 6 Apr - 18:46

not sure I'd run a 400 dollar converter behind any real power.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  studly Tue 6 Apr - 20:10

you will not get a converter from Lenny for 450.00 . he does not package shelf converters each and every one is a custom piece. I only purchase from Lenny and depending on application for a full race unit 900-1300. i have run his from 600hp to 1200hp nos cars and they are clearly better than any other i have run. the main difference Question Customer Support Lenny will get it right. and if you have problems he does not dodge you.don't cheap out on this part of your build even if you have to wait to finish it just my .02 by the way i won my last year championship with a UCC converter.
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs Tue 6 Apr - 20:48

studly wrote:you will not get a converter from Lenny for 450.00 . he does not package shelf converters each and every one is a custom piece. I only purchase from Lenny and depending on application for a full race unit 900-1300. i have run his from 600hp to 1200hp nos cars and they are clearly better than any other i have run. the main difference Question Customer Support Lenny will get it right. and if you have problems he does not dodge you.don't cheap out on this part of your build even if you have to wait to finish it just my .02 by the way i won my last year championship with a UCC converter.

Well put, you normally get what you pay for. Converter is not the place to cheap out. Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Tue 6 Apr - 21:02

I've got a "cheap" UCC 10" still in the box never used................it cost a lot more than 400 bucks lol.

I didn't take it that Jones was gonna go with the PTC deal, rather that's just what they quoted him. I wont answer for Lenny on a price as its not my place. I can tell you whatever you end up spending with him it will be worth every penny...................
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Tue 6 Apr - 21:49

As nice as Lenny has been to me and the amount of money I have in this transmission I will be going with a unit from Lenny. Back when I talked to him he said he had my information is on file and for me not to worry. Just call back once I get the transmission and the finished cylinder heads.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug Tue 6 Apr - 21:56

I think thats a wise decision, I am going to try and Break Lenny's converter this year....... Wink

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Tue 6 Apr - 22:20

I don't know about $450 but PTC's bad ass 9.5 converter is less than $1000. I don't know how they price things to everyone so I won't post what I pay but you get more than you pay for. No offense to Lenny (I know some guys running his stuff and they are super satisfied) but I will only run PTC.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Tue 6 Apr - 22:29

PTC just suggested their Nitrous converter rather than their high dollar converters. (in passing phone conversations) I don't know what the differance is between the two but there is bound to be a differance some where. No, I can't knock PTC any what so ever, they have always got back to me durring my search for the transmission.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  hayhauler Tue 6 Apr - 23:09

before you buy, check around. try giving JW a call

hayhauler
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Tue 6 Apr - 23:31

What do ya'll think about 8" converters? One company suggested an 8" for my truck and said it would work better than an 10"

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Tue 6 Apr - 23:40

what did Lenny say you need?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Wed 7 Apr - 8:17

I believe he said a 10" and that's what I have pretty much been told from other folks except one. The one that suggested the 8" figured something about it would work better (don't remember exactly what he said). I don't really understand the differances in the sizes. Is the smaller the converter the more efficant? Anything to do with holding more power / heat?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug Wed 7 Apr - 9:04

the smaller converter generates more heat.... When I built this comb of mine I had 3 converter guys say ABSOLUTELY do not put an 8 inch behind it, with this much torque it will rip the innerds out shortly..... which would make a $1500 converter junk in an instant...... so I had Lenny build me a 9"......

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 Wed 7 Apr - 9:08

8" stuff works fine for the right application, but if you in tend to drive it at all I'd get the bigger one.

Plus listen to Lenny the guy you purchased the trans from, he won't steer you wrong.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Wed 7 Apr - 11:51

8" would work in a dragster, and thats debatable.

It will be way too loose with any kind of power.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Wed 7 Apr - 12:05

I have never even seen an 8 inch converter in person and I have been running small blocks.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones Wed 7 Apr - 12:44

Thanks, I wonder why he suggested it then?

The 1979 supercab F150 weighed 4,600lbs with me in it, so it's going to be close to 4,000lbs if you subtract 600lbs for the lack of cab & frame. 3.50 gear 28-29.5 tall tire.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next