BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interesting stuff about cash for clunkers

+5
Diggindeeper
blown473
billandlori
jasonf
the Coug
9 posters

Go down

interesting  stuff about cash for clunkers Empty interesting stuff about cash for clunkers

Post  the Coug March 1st 2010, 5:13 pm

Oilfield Math;

Working in the oilfield with others such as myself and a wealth of combined experience we understand the accuracy of the following.
Think of it this way:
A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.
A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year.
So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline
consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.
5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.
More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars
So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.
We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.
I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care, though.

just a little info to ponder on.
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

interesting  stuff about cash for clunkers Empty Re: interesting stuff about cash for clunkers

Post  jasonf March 1st 2010, 5:35 pm

LOL. Now those are some good numbers.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

interesting  stuff about cash for clunkers Empty Re: interesting stuff about cash for clunkers

Post  billandlori March 1st 2010, 6:44 pm

1+1= -2

Makes great sense........umm maybe not.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

interesting  stuff about cash for clunkers Empty The gov and fuel

Post  blown473 March 1st 2010, 9:58 pm

Why is it that our government is always harping on the auto manufacturers to increase mileage, when any car regardless of its mpg gets ZERO miles per gallon sitting at stop lights? Its long overdue that they demand improved technology at intersections. I think at least half the gas I use is wasted sitting through 3 minute lights when no one is coming the other direction!! The "Mass Transit" crowd drives me nuts too. They put in light rail commuter trains here, and they come every 30 minutes. The first 3 or 4 are full, after that they are transporting air (empty cars) while 30+ cars sit at the crossing guards wasting fuel and polluting the air!! Thats a real "Green" solution!! We can build a fighter jet that can track 30 targets at once and attack 7 at the same time, but we can't make a signal light that can tell when theres no cars coming where the light is green, so some poor person can get on his way and save some fuel. This country needs to wake up, stop being politically correct , and start thinking, and come up with solutions that make sense. I could probably afford to drive to work on twin 1150 dominators, if I could make a few lights......
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper March 1st 2010, 11:16 pm

Another factor Randy is that i'd bet a lot of these "cash for clunkers" saw very few miles per week or year, and are replaced with vehicles that will see many miles, so which is really polluting, and using more fossil fuels?

Up here the cash for clunkers deal isnt a good deal at all, the 3 dealers i've talked to have not had one single cash for clunkers car/truck come in.

The real issue is that china needed more US scrap metal for their crankshafts and H beam rods so they cut a deal with your Govt. Laughing
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 2nd 2010, 12:17 am

Wasn't one major flaw in the whole deal the fact that there really was no "must do" plan in place for the trade in clunker vehicles once they were in the dealers hands?

I have heard that instead of scrapping these "clunkers", some dealers instead resold them back to the public when the price of scrap fell too low. So in the end the program didn't actually get them off the street.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 2nd 2010, 12:18 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Wasn't one major flaw in the whole deal the fact that there really was no "must do" plan in place for the trade in clunker vehicles once they were in the dealers hands?

I have heard that instead of scrapping these "clunkers", some dealers instead resold them back to the public when the price of scrap fell too low. So in the end the program didn't actually get them off the street.
Not true .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 2nd 2010, 12:53 am

Lem Evans wrote:Not true .

Lem, I'm not saying a ton of dealers across the country did this. But a few questionable DFW dealers on the sly before Jan 2010. Trade in cars around here were showing up at up at public auctions instead of finding their way to the crushers.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  the1969fordguyinky March 2nd 2010, 11:22 am

There was a bit on TV were they drained the oil and put some mixture in and ran the engine until it locked up, that was supposed to be the end of the car.

The original post says it all... Makes me sad...
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt March 2nd 2010, 11:38 am

Down here in clarksville, our yards are full of the cash for clunkers, all the dealer ships did was lock the motor, now when you go to the yard, you can have anything except the motor. Over half of what I seen when the people finish striping, will wind back on the road when they put those parts back on the same kind of truck and sell it. As far as Obama and the rest of tose idiots, I thought after my car is done I would post a pic on the white house website of my new fuel effecent car. It's verry pretty with the tunnel ram coming through the hood though.... LOL
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down