BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

? Measuring Valve Springs

4 posters

Go down

? Measuring Valve Springs Empty ? Measuring Valve Springs

Post  wvmudder Mon 22 Mar 2010, 6:50 pm

I just ordered a tool to measure valve spring height. I just got my heads (motorsports A460) dipped to clean them up. While looking them over I noticed some shims under the spring cups or spring seats (i'm not sure what they are called). Should I remove these shims before measuring the height for new springs? What about the spring cups?

Or maybe I should ask, what is the proper way to measure for new springs? The tool is not here yet, I ordered the one that goes up to 2.1 in. Is there any other tools I'll need to do this? I know I will need a tool to measure spring pressure as well. I could tell while taking the old ones off that some of the springs were shot. A few of the springs required a cheater pipe on the fork tool I was using and some didn't. The old springs were a double set used on I believe a solid roller cam.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave S.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

? Measuring Valve Springs Empty Re: ? Measuring Valve Springs

Post  rmcomprandy Mon 22 Mar 2010, 8:20 pm

Those shims are there to make all the spring heaights about the same unless there is a bunch, then they are lessening the intended spring heights also.
Check what you have and add/remove shims accordinly to get where you need to be.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 Tue 23 Mar 2010, 12:16 pm

You will figure it out easy .The spring tool winds up against the retainer and then you do the math
to see if need more or less shims to get the correct ht .It will explain itself when you have the spring mic.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  tall69 Tue 23 Mar 2010, 3:01 pm

The shims can also increase the seat pressure if needed based on the cam designer's spring pressure recommendation. Another spring height tuning method involves +.050 locks, which increase the spring height instead of decrease it. This would reduce the seat spring pressure. In addition, you can also run different spring heights and pressures on the exhaust side because of the smaller and lighter valve. So many things to consider.
tall69
tall69

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder Tue 23 Mar 2010, 8:03 pm

Thanks guys. The tool should be here by the end of the week. I want to know how to do this so when I order the cam I can hopefully have correct measurements to go ahead and order the springs to match the cam. I would like to order the springs and custom ground cam as a package from one of the forum members. Thanks again, Dave S.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down