BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you use internally regulated fuel pumps (Holley red type), you might want to read this...

2 posters

Go down

If you use internally regulated fuel pumps  (Holley red type), you might want to read this... Empty If you use internally regulated fuel pumps (Holley red type), you might want to read this...

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy April 18th 2010, 1:42 pm

Last year I put on one of those self regulated house brand fuel pumps that Jegs and Summit sell. These are the remanufactured ones I believe from Holley that look like their their red pumps.

Well, the instructions say you do not need an external regulator. So it worked well for 6 months last year.
But, when I went to start the car for the first race this year it ran rich and smoked real bad.

Come to find out, the problem was the internal regulated broke and the pump was shooting out over 15 psi and flooding the carb. Lots of fuel pouring out into and onto the top of the engine. We got real lucky that the engine was cold, otherwise we would probably have lost the car.

In the 30 plus years I have been working on cars, I have never heard of an internal regulated pump doing that.

Needless to say, ALL of our cars with low pressure pumps will now get external regulators installed. Very Happy (cheap insurance)
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

If you use internally regulated fuel pumps  (Holley red type), you might want to read this... Empty Re: If you use internally regulated fuel pumps (Holley red type), you might want to read this...

Post  bbf-falcon April 18th 2010, 7:56 pm

Yea, It always pays to know how much fuel pressure ya have

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down