BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering Column install

3 posters

Go down

Steering Column install Empty Steering Column install

Post  64 fairlane June 7th 2010, 6:29 pm

Hey Guys! I need some help with a steering column install. I purcased a Competion Engineering steering column and came with a Moroso quick disconnect hub. It has three holes to mount a steering wheel to. Can I purchase a steering wheel that will mount to the hub or do I need to get installation kit. I haven't purchased a steering wheel yet.

The other question is does the column have to go all the way to the steering wheel or can you have any of the steering shaft exposed.
64 fairlane
64 fairlane

Back to top Go down

Steering Column install Empty Re: Steering Column install

Post  69F100 June 7th 2010, 9:13 pm

the steering wheel should fit without a installation kit my hub fits right on the steering wheel I have a Grant the 3 holes lined up perfet on how much shaft can be sticking out I am not sure mine sticks out about 6" but it should be in the rule book.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Steering Column install Empty Steering Column install

Post  64 fairlane June 7th 2010, 9:37 pm

Thanks Jim for your reply. My shaft sticks ouy about 3 or 4 inches. I'm going to order a wheel tonite.
64 fairlane
64 fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 8th 2010, 12:04 am

If you have a smaller 3 bolt pattern quick disconnect hub & a bigger 5 bolt pattern steering wheel (like a Grant), a number of company's do offer simple/cheap adapter plates. Or you can just make one out of .090" steel or .125" to .1875" aluminum.

http://quartermax.com/details.php?prodID=125&searchType=keyword&searchTerm=steering

You can hang a little bit of the inner steering shaft out of the outer shaft, but not too much. I really wouldn't go past 3" to 3.5" if possible. The more unsupported thin wall inner steering shaft there is handing out of the column, the easier it is to bend that inner shaft when getting in/out of the car & pushing the car in the shop & in the staging lanes. And a lot of people often forget (or don't realize) they are actually pushing on the steering wheel instead of the roll cage when moving a car around.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 9th 2010, 10:43 pm

you right about the thin wall tubing wasn't thinking about that mine is a 3/4" steel steering shaft out of the factory steering column.I was wrong when I said I am not sure mine sticks out about 6" that is to the outside of the steering wheel the shaft is only 4" out
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down