BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Pan Question

4 posters

Go down

Oil Pan Question Empty Oil Pan Question

Post  scottk June 10th 2010, 11:20 pm

Hey guys, I have been lurking for awhile.

I am building a 521 with SCJ heads all the parts came from Lem. 6.8" rods about a 10:1 motor with forged pistons. This will all be going in my old 79 ford 4x4 truck it has quite a bit of suspension lift.

Now to the question. I have the opportunity to buy a new milodon 10 qt oil pan for a boat it comes with the pickup and pump. According to milodon there shouldnt be any clearance issues with the stroker crank. I have plenty of clearance between the cross member. Is there a problem with using this 10 qt pan? I don't anticipate turning the engine over 6,000 rpm. I thought the extra oil capacity couldnt be a bad thing. This thing is at a great price. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Scott

scottk

Back to top Go down

Oil Pan Question Empty Re: Oil Pan Question

Post  rmcomprandy June 11th 2010, 12:21 pm

What is the part number of the pan...? Is the pan baffled...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scottk June 11th 2010, 12:28 pm

The part number is 31365. I have not personally seen the pan so I am unsure if it is baffled.

Any thoughts or concerns are appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

scottk

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 11th 2010, 10:40 pm

Good pan,but thats alot of oil if it's for the street imo Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane June 12th 2010, 12:16 am

Of all the 460 jet boat pans available, the Milodon 31365 is at the bottom of the list.

It is often functional and beneficial but is sometimes the culprit of adverse oiling symptoms that will drive you crazy and simply will not disappear unless you change out the pan or make big changes to its internals, including the windage tray design, the gating, and--while you're at it--the pickup.

That is to say, the Milodon 31365 seems to be very sensitive to engine combinations. In one combination it works as intended, in the next combination you will have wildly fluctuating oil pressure behaviour.

If you must run a full-length pan, then save the money from the Milodon and add a few more bux to get a different pan. The money you spend will potentially save you a lot of headache. If you want a bang-for-buck budget jet boat pan that works every time, go with an Armando's.

Paul

P.s.: I have available a used rear sump Moroso 8 quart (plus filter) rear sump truck pan # 20612 & pickup # 24504. Call if interested.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scottk June 14th 2010, 12:20 am

Thanks guys for the quick replies. This is going in a 4x4 that will see mostly street use. Sounds like this wasnt the best designed pan Milodon has come out with. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Scott

scottk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down