BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sears tools

4 posters

Go down

Sears tools Empty Sears tools

Post  bb429power June 19th 2010, 9:11 pm

Well I have a $50 gift card for sears. I was there today and saw a couple calipers on the rack, made of PLASTIC. Suspect Really? Who would buy one made of plastic? I could go on and on about why they are bad and all but I'm sure you guys would know why too. But I was looking into getting a digital caliper anyways and was looking at the other stuff they had. I was wanting one but looked it up and found out it wasn't digital, all I need is a 0-6" but more wouldn't be bad. So I wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction, I know a lot of them can be bad so I wanted to know from you guys.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=digital+caliper&x=0&y=0&vName=&viewType=gal&viewItems=24

Then I know there was a post on here before about timing lights and how the msd and craftsman ones were good. I didn't know if anyone had used the newer craftsman timing light and if its any good. Like this one, I was checking it out at sears today. Good or bad? I want one that is very percise.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914065000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Any help would be appreciated, and you get what you pay for.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Sears tools Empty Re: Sears tools

Post  jones June 20th 2010, 12:05 am

IMO it depends on how much you plan on using the calipers. I have some high dollar dial calipers I have had since college machine shop. Which I use my dial calipers all the time to layout stuff and meassure. Yet I went with a knock off brand on the micrometers, since I don't work in a machine shop the only time I have used them has been to check bearing clearances.

I guess my point is, the more you think you will use them the better they should be.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  138 June 20th 2010, 1:12 am

hate to say it but, Harbor freight for the 0-6" digital calibers... if your going micrometers get a good set, and invest in some good standards if they are not included... craigslist is your friend there.

Back to top Go down

Post  138 June 20th 2010, 1:15 am

hate to say it but, Harbor freight for the 0-6" digital calibers... if your going micrometers get a good set .0001, and invest in some good standards if they are not included... craigslist is your friend there.

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power June 20th 2010, 9:08 am

Yeah I heard about harbor freights Cen-Tech calipers from my machinist. I plan on doing a lot of high performance engine work in the future and I have an inside, outside, and depth micrometer set from my grandpa's garage. He used to fix airplanes a lot and that's what they were used for so I am set there. I just want a caliper to speed up the process.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane June 20th 2010, 10:15 am

x2 on the Harbor Freight Digital Calipers. I have a set I use at work for the last 6 years and they have worked great.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power June 20th 2010, 8:11 pm

Well I'll just go with the Cen-tech caliper then. So that leaves the timing light, but today I was talking to my uncle. He said he has the old school craftsman timing light and some sort of diagnostic box that he will let me have. Smile So I'll get something like a ratchet wrench set or a temp gun. So that's all for now.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down