BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fluid Leak at Shift Lever

5 posters

Go down

Fluid Leak at Shift Lever Empty Fluid Leak at Shift Lever

Post  billandlori Sat 31 Jul 2010 - 3:55

Every time I let the T-bird sit for a few days it starts to leak from the shifter lever. Not sure if its coming from the shaft seal or the hole where the kick down lever was. I put a bunch of silicone in the hole. It is a 1977 Trans no detents in V/B.

So my question is: can I get the shift lever out with out taking the trans apart? I thought I remember that it can't come out without dis-assembly. I have the seal for the shaft.

Thanks,
Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Fluid Leak at Shift Lever Empty Re: Fluid Leak at Shift Lever

Post  69F100 Sat 31 Jul 2010 - 13:30

Bill if I am not mistsken you will have to drop the vb for it to come out as it comes out from the inside.I hadn't had a tran that didn't come out from the inside if I remember right they are a roll pin that has to come out.I know on a od behinf a 2.9 ranger it has the roll pin.But some of the trans guys can tell you better than me as I have taken but a couple apart and it has been a good while back the last one I did.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Sat 31 Jul 2010 - 13:42

69F100 wrote:Bill if I am not mistsken you will have to drop the vb for it to come out as it comes out from the inside.I hadn't had a tran that didn't come out from the inside if I remember right they are a roll pin that has to come out.I know on a od behinf a 2.9 ranger it has the roll pin.But some of the trans guys can tell you better than me as I have taken but a couple apart and it has been a good while back the last one I did.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is what I thought. I wasn't sure if the gear train needed to come out too.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 Sat 31 Jul 2010 - 14:12

All I had to do was the vb only drop just make sure you mark it so when you go back you get it lined back up right, laying on your back some time mess the head at least in my case.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Sat 31 Jul 2010 - 15:26

69F100 wrote:All I had to do was the vb only drop just make sure you mark it so when you go back you get it lined back up right, laying on your back some time mess the head at least in my case.

Jim

I know what you mean there Jim!! Everythings backwards.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Fluid Leak at Shift Lever Empty Shift Shaft Boogie

Post  Wheelie58 Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 6:27

Bill,
I will assume that you have a C4 or C6.
The other posts are correct about just needing to drop the valve body. As I recall, the big nut inside the trans that holds the manual lever shaft to the rooster comb is either 15/16" or 1".
Here is my tip.
You mentioned silicone in the kickdown lever hole.
If you do not want the kickdown shaft, I always liked either plugging the hole with a small cup type "freeze plug" or using a chopped kickdown shaft. Just take an old kickdown shaft/lever and saw the lever part off and reinstall it. That way you can use the factory o-ring on the outside for no leak. Just use a flat washer and lock washer on the outside.
If you do it in the car, the only trick on reassembly is to put the kickdown shaft through the nut and rooster comb first, then slide the manual lever in and hook it all up. That way it clears the drum (KD lever).
Long post...but maybe this gives you a couple of options.
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Sun 1 Aug 2010 - 12:10

Wheelie58 wrote:Bill,
I will assume that you have a C4 or C6.
The other posts are correct about just needing to drop the valve body. As I recall, the big nut inside the trans that holds the manual lever shaft to the rooster comb is either 15/16" or 1".
Here is my tip.
You mentioned silicone in the kickdown lever hole.
If you do not want the kickdown shaft, I always liked either plugging the hole with a small cup type "freeze plug" or using a chopped kickdown shaft. Just take an old kickdown shaft/lever and saw the lever part off and reinstall it. That way you can use the factory o-ring on the outside for no leak. Just use a flat washer and lock washer on the outside.
If you do it in the car, the only trick on reassembly is to put the kickdown shaft through the nut and rooster comb first, then slide the manual lever in and hook it all up. That way it clears the drum (KD lever).
Long post...but maybe this gives you a couple of options.
Thanks,
Keith

Thanks Keith, great tips!!

It is a C6. I should have done a better job of plugging the kick down hole, if you don't do it right, you have to do it again!! I think I will be going the freeze plug route.

Thanks again for the info!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust Mon 2 Aug 2010 - 5:33

I use a 3/8" ball bearing is a tight press fit with some sealer , never leaks .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Mon 2 Aug 2010 - 12:04

Gregaust wrote:I use a 3/8" ball bearing is a tight press fit with some sealer , never leaks .

Good deal, thanks Greg!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra Wed 11 Aug 2010 - 21:47

I tap mine and put in a allen head pipe plug like Frank M. suggested.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 4:17

nuclearcobra wrote:I tap mine and put in a allen head pipe plug like Frank M. suggested.

That would seal real good!!

I have another parts trans that I can use the lever out of and then just swap them out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down