BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

+6
Mark Miller
BOSS 429
Curt
richter69
Barney
Wayne Pearce
10 posters

Go down

OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP Empty OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

Post  Wayne Pearce August 29th 2010, 5:54 pm

As the title say's - I need your opinion of the Mallory electric fuel pump #MAA-5250. Has anybody here used one of these? I'm currently running a Holley Volumax 180 GPH pump and it's about to go south on me. The reason I'm asking about this Mallory pump is because it's physical shape looks to be a reasonable replacement without doing major surgery to the trunk floor, and the plumbing in my car (the pump motor is in the trunk area, and the pump itself is below the floor). Any opinions?

THANKS
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP Empty Re: OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

Post  Barney August 29th 2010, 10:20 pm

I run that pump and its been great for years.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP Empty Re: OPINION ON MALLORY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

Post  richter69 August 29th 2010, 10:23 pm

Best damn electric fuel pump I ever used, gas and alky.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt August 29th 2010, 10:23 pm

I think they are one of the better electric pumps. IMHO
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 29th 2010, 10:27 pm

I bought one from Super Shops back in like 1990, ran it for 10 years on gas, bought a seal kit and converted it to alky and ran it another 7.......Never had an issue....just worked. I did run it with a bypass style regulator as well.

Better than that POS Magnafuel Prostar 500..........took a shit after a year and a half, had it redone by MF and the kid I sold it to took a shit after 4 months. I think the Onebadnotch factor voodoo must have been on it though lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt August 29th 2010, 10:32 pm

I have one on the shelf that I ran for 10yrs before I went to a belt drive pump. Worked like a charm, guess it still would. I love you
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 30th 2010, 12:02 am

we started with 110 mallorys years ago,

we run 1 250 for engine,and 1 300 nos kit,

we have ran on engine 1 140,w/ 300 sq jetted in big shot kits for years,

all there pumps work great,

we have also ran 2 250s 1 for nos 1 for just carb

since 1992 we have had 2 quit, both were because water got in them, both sat out side on the car, rain,and snow got in, locked the pump up,one had t/lid off top of cell not latched, other water seeped in arounf the cell top gasket, like a funnel

those guys wont do that again
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 30th 2010, 1:20 am

I have had 3 different ones 2 were great one started sounding funny took it apart and looked rusty inside from water.I did get that one from my cousin not sure where it was sitting all it's life though. Very Happy Very Happy

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce August 30th 2010, 7:38 am

WOW - all positive responses, I guess I picked the right pump! I just got done ordering it, thanks for the input! Have any of you read Holley's description of the Volumax 180 GPH pump? They state that it "runs quiet" - as compared to what -- the Hiroshima blast?? The only time that pump was quiet was when the ignition key was in the "off" position!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Last edited by Wayne Pearce on August 30th 2010, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 August 30th 2010, 9:17 am

I've had the 250 on my mud truck for three years now with no issues, before it i was going thru 2 holley blues a year(they locked up). Keep it clean and run a little oil thru it before you let it sit all winter.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 30th 2010, 2:52 pm

I bought a used Mallory 250 pump years ago, and I've been running it on the street with absolutely zero issues.

It's a very heavy duty unit that just works does it's job.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT August 30th 2010, 7:06 pm

I just put my Mallory 250 pump in service a week or so ago... so far so good! kinda loud... but its my first electric pump, so I dont have anything to compare to.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 3rd 2010, 3:02 pm

Hey, Guy's I'm a pretty happy camper about now! I got my Mallory pump from Summit a couple of day's ago, to replace my ailing Holley pump. The installation couldn't have been any easier (with the exception of not having a long enough piece of -8 braided line for the return, I had 36'' of it BUT needed 40'', just my kind of luck). My -8 line showed up this morning, installed it, and away I went - took it through the gears, and it didn't miss a beat - maintained 8 PSI without fail - something my old Holley couldn't do. The Mallory is a bit louder than I had hoped for, but compared to the Holley it's like angels singing (LOL). Thanks for all your imput, I knew I couldn't go wrong asking for help here!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 3rd 2010, 3:13 pm

Geo-rotor design is like an oil pump. Be sure to use a GOOD filter between the tank and pump. My Mallory pumps have been on my car since I started building it in the mid 90's... GREAT pumps IMO...

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 3rd 2010, 11:17 pm

Hi, Damon: I'm using a Moroso cylindrical billet aluminum in line filter ahead of the pump, the filter material is a 40 micron stainless steel sleeve. Is this good enough, or should I be using something better?? Every time I clean it out, I find a few metal chips from the Triangle aluminum fuel cell, I guess they don't do a very thorough job of cleaning them.

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 7th 2010, 12:01 pm

Wayne Pearce wrote:Hi, Damon: I'm using a Moroso cylindrical billet aluminum in line filter ahead of the pump, the filter material is a 40 micron stainless steel sleeve. Is this good enough, or should I be using something better?? Every time I clean it out, I find a few metal chips from the Triangle aluminum fuel cell, I guess they don't do a very thorough job of cleaning them.

Wayne

Wayne,

As long as it keeps everything out of the pump, then you're good... The smallest particle can lock up the Georotor due to the tight tolerance.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down