BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SINGLE VS TWINS

4 posters

Go down

SINGLE VS TWINS Empty SINGLE VS TWINS

Post  KEVIN S September 17th 2010, 11:21 am

First off, Hi I am new to this site Very Happy and to bbf's too. I am trying to get some opinions on running a bbf(c-headed 598) with a single turbo. My thinking/worry is that that even with a g-trim wheel and a 1.50 ar housing I might still have problems controlling boost a low levels. There are two local guys that have BBC with 106s and 114s and they seem to have low boost level control problems. They only have a single wastegate but I am unsure of the size. I am going to run two 60mm wastegates with a single(114) or twins(gt47 88s). The price is relatively close between the two and the twins are just as easy to plumb. I feel the power will be better with twins too but that is not a big issue with this build at this time. I have not called any turbo retailers yet but i am getting to the point to where I need to decide what direction I am going to go. I wanted to pick your brains before I call any turbo retailers for opinions. Does anyone have any advise or past experience with a single turbo BB? Thanks in advance. Kevin S.

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

SINGLE VS TWINS Empty Re: SINGLE VS TWINS

Post  whatbumper September 17th 2010, 12:53 pm

with 2 wastegates and an AMS1000 you shouldn't have any boost issues down low unless it is just not tuned correctly. As far as turbo choice you put a single 114 or twin gt4788's. most classes say you run 106mm turbos at the same weight as a 4788. a 114 is huge and makes more power.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S September 17th 2010, 2:58 pm

Ok. Thanks for responding. Do you run a turbo setup in your car? If so what do you use if you dont mind sharing? I have the MSD 7562 controller, I feel like with sufficiently sized wastegates I can make it work. I just wanted to see if anyone has had a problem running a single. Most of the people I know run single but have small block setups, so I dont have a lot of experience to draw from with BB setups.

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 17th 2010, 4:55 pm

well, mine is a small block setup but I am helping a guy locally set his car up and trying to help a few guys on here. the key to your success will be the dual wastegates. I am not pleased with the performance of the msd setup but some people make it work. the ams setup is much more simple and is more accurate from my experience. With the big cubic inch that you have backpressure might be a problem but that makes cam selection even more critical. I am not a cam expert and saying my cam guys name on here is cursing but it is crucial.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 17th 2010, 6:47 pm

Jay Allen?............. Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 17th 2010, 9:15 pm

richter69 wrote:Jay Allen?............. Razz

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't say that here. lol!

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 17th 2010, 9:22 pm

whatbumper wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not a fan either, i think he's a prick......but yalls stuff works so I'll let it slide lol.

yall gonna be a TV tomorrow?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw September 19th 2010, 11:41 am

What are your goals there are a few good people on here that play with turbos I don't get on much trying to fit a big single mite be a pan I guess that it is all in the rules of the class and the chassis you have to work with I'm putting the finish touchs on my 521 with twin 80s on meth and I'm looking to hit the 1500hp mark and a 2700 lbs chassis
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 19th 2010, 1:16 pm

richter69 wrote:
whatbumper wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm not a fan either, i think he's a prick......but yalls stuff works so I'll let it slide lol.

yall gonna be a TV tomorrow?

sorry, missed this question earlier. the weather has us backed up so we are not racing this weekend. Being farmers and racers is tough. We will be at the next Tulsa and TV races though. our regular classes season is already over now. brand new turbo that is non reduced and a lot more data to go with it so I think we should no doubt be running as fast as Duffy.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 19th 2010, 1:27 pm

I pussed out and stayed home.......welded on some sissy bars all day.

Mike D for the win.......... Very Happy

sorry bout screwin up the thread.............but its what I do lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down