BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.?

+2
whitefield
Ed501
6 posters

Go down

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? Empty C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.?

Post  Ed501 October 4th 2010, 4:05 am

When i went back together i tightened up the high drum to about 40 thousands and added a kevlar band and H servo instead of R. Tranny does not kick the same and has seem to lost about 5-7 hundreds somewhere.Need to check line pressure if i can get a gauge. The input shaft did have alot of drag compared to usually really loose. I figured it was cause of forward be tightened to 25 thousands this is with 5 on 5 clutches , forward wont effect drag like the high will in low and sec. I did do a 100 ft wheelstand clocking 60ft. with my backs, that was fun still a 1.35. I am using type F fluid maybe should use mercon 3, i thought it would drag more from tight clearances though. Didnt brake anything so that was good!! Car power is flat as can be so it might be something else, timing is all over the place and about to get rid of the Barry Grant 750 for a while lol. car been 6.18 at 115 in 1/8.. Needs more cam also xr304r kinda small and got get it to hook tied down some= good track. Any advice on build would be appreciated since this is my first bigblock and dont want to wait till next yr. to get it lined out, thanks...,ED

Ed501

Back to top Go down

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? Empty Re: C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.?

Post  whitefield October 4th 2010, 11:19 am

The forward clutch should be on .025 to .035  .This drum works in all foward gears and will burn up very quickly if it is to tight .

Last edited by whitefield on November 10th 2013, 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? Empty Re: C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.?

Post  richter69 October 4th 2010, 12:27 pm

just my experience...........I always ran the forward snug .025 w 6 on 6......forward clutch will only in N and R...all forward gears the forward clutch is locked having no effect. The direct as i call it or reverse, if clearance is snug it will drag in 1st and 2nd, high gear its locked up so no effect there.............I ran 7 on 7 in the direct with .050 clearance and saw no noticable et difference from when it was 6 on 6 with .055.

The vb i used does not have a release circuit which is also the accumulator for the direct.

Its in the sb car now 6 on 6 and 6 on6, I set the direct up a little loose, it prolly would effect this car some tighter but its a 306 with no tourqe.

You'll get to a point where your sick of fixing the c4 and want to go faster...........glide time lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 4th 2010, 1:07 pm

I stated my first post wrong .035 to .045 on the forward clutches and for the reverse high drum or clutches .050 . The Tight clearance on the direct clutch pack causes drag in first gear and the clutches are being spun in the oposite directions as the steels.

When you put the clearance to tight on either clutch pack it puts a drag on the whole rotating mass which slows the car down . This creates heat burns the trans up longevity is gone . As transmission fluid gets warm it expands and so does the clutches and steels which at operating temps the clearance will also change. It will also change the shift feel of the trans . The input shaft should be easy to turn by using your thumb and pointer finger. Buy the way John I saw more power Glides being changed out this weekend than I did C-4s or C-6 transmission LOL Cool

Last edited by whitefield on October 4th 2010, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 4th 2010, 1:18 pm

Not calling anyone out, just stating how the powerflow is in a c4 or c6 for that matter.

The forward clutch pack is not applied unless in 1, 2, or 3, it slips in D, R and N.

Direct clutch pack is applied in R and high gear, it will create drag in 1st and 2nd.

In high gear both forward and direct clutch packs are applied, both bands released.

I'll bet those glides had a bunch of stock Chevy crap in them or were not set up right............some people should not be snake handlers either lol. I wont get into the 2 vs 3 speed debate either, they all have their place.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 4th 2010, 2:09 pm

Na not going their either Brotha ! That is so true they each have a home Cool Forward clutch is applied in all forward gears it is not aplied in reverse.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 October 4th 2010, 5:31 pm

I had a 6.80 smallblock car slow down a whole tenth after freshening trans. After a month or so of driving the ET returned. It was my first rebuild and dont remember the clearances. It was most in the 60 ft. Clearly could see the differance. I took some advice on Yellowbucket and now i wonder if that was for a race car only. They say high gear first to go. The c4 is holding up so far this time.

Last edited by Ed501 on October 4th 2010, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 4th 2010, 5:35 pm

One big thing that affects drag in the lower gears is ..

Centrifugal apply. If going over 6000RPM and using a constant pressure manual valve body, a small .040" bleed hole in the drum helps

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 October 5th 2010, 6:46 am

where would you put a bleed hole in the high drum? Maybe on the bottom? I want to check and see what kind of pressure i really have. THousands of miles can weaken pressure releif spring. I think i am going to rollerise it this winter and put some drain holes in high drum on the side of it.

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 7th 2010, 5:50 am

Se pic 7 + 8 here Ed. Drill it outwards on an angle
http://fordcortina.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=49

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 12th 2013, 9:17 pm

Gregaust wrote:Se pic 7 + 8  here Ed. Drill it outwards on an angle
http://fordcortina.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=49

Greg, can't get theis link to work ! thanks
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 12th 2013, 9:24 pm

holy old f in thread lol
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 12th 2013, 9:36 pm

richter69 wrote:holy old f in thread lol

Yeah LOL !doing some reaserch and puttiing a file together of some use full trans info.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust June 13th 2013, 6:16 am

Here you go I had them saved .

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? MarkWilliams-Hi_Rev_Bleed_Hole_inside_zps66f738e9

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? MarkWilliamsHi_Rev_Bleed_Hole_Outside_zps01fba06d

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 13th 2013, 8:02 am

Gregaust wrote:Here you go I had them saved .

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? MarkWilliams-Hi_Rev_Bleed_Hole_inside_zps66f738e9

C4 high clutch pack clearance versus E.T.? MarkWilliamsHi_Rev_Bleed_Hole_Outside_zps01fba06d

Thanks
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  DJStang June 14th 2013, 9:59 am

Great information.  A sticky "what to do" for a C-4 would be great.  One for a C-6 would be nice also.

DJStang

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace June 28th 2013, 12:24 am

need to keep this around as i have a trans that smoked god only know what clutch packs 5-6 times ( 4 runs per test sesion) before the trany builder bailed on me. it still in the shed..

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace October 11th 2013, 12:20 am

This is the same problem that i was researching. the car felt like some one was dragging the brakes in 1st and 2nd gear and freed up in 3rd. can some one post a brake down of which one is the direct// reverse clutch pack...

I'm going to tear this trans down over the winter and look and see whats going on

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 11th 2013, 5:30 am

Direct or High/reverse is first clutch drum in behind the pump..I'm sure we can get you through it Smile

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 11th 2013, 1:49 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:This is the same problem that i was researching. the car felt like some one was dragging the brakes in 1st and 2nd gear and freed up in 3rd. can some one post a brake down of which one is the direct// reverse clutch pack...

I'm going to tear this trans down over the winter and look and see whats going on

Ace
If you need any parts I have plenty of them. There are a lot of guys on here that can help you ,and I will try and help as well? good luck
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace October 11th 2013, 1:59 pm

I got the video from bad shoe productions as well to walk me throught. Who's Trans brake do you use ? I'm most likely getting on from broader since he has both press in and screw in solenoids. I have both Trans cases that are the C4 C5

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 13th 2013, 10:44 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:I got the video from bad shoe productions as well to walk me throught. Who's Trans brake do you use ? I'm most likely getting on from broader since he has both press in and screw in solenoids. I have both Trans cases that are the C4 C5

Ace
I use Dynamic racing transmission T brake valve body and current one I am using is Jays from broader performance . Both companies seem to be very good !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down