BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

+13
83-88T-Bird Guy
whatbumper
jason
2POWERADDERS
chappy89
peganit2
Barney
Northwest outlaw
WIKDLX
96Mustang460cid
badsnake306
jones
8liter
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

single turbo +carb+big cubes=?? Empty single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

Post  jason November 1st 2010, 4:42 pm

is it possible to run a single turbo through a carb on 572 ci ? how low can it go on boost to run pump gas for some local car meets and still have the potential to make stupid power? what size turbo would it take to make somewhere around 1500 & 2000 . There are some chevy strokes in town with 555 ci and twin turbos running 8.70s and they think theyre god , im not impressed .
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

single turbo +carb+big cubes=?? Empty Re: single turbo +carb+big cubes=??

Post  8liter November 1st 2010, 9:06 pm

How much money are you willing to spend? Anything is possible....
8liter
8liter

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 1st 2010, 10:09 pm

Probably too many cubes for a single. especially with a blow through which has a more limited tuning ability.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason November 1st 2010, 11:58 pm

So what would be a good set up with twins to get what I'm looking for and not have a ton of gremlins ?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 2nd 2010, 10:03 am

jason wrote:So what would be a good set up with twins to get what I'm looking for and not have a ton of gremlins ?

what is your car certified to?
How fast do you want to go?

Big horsepower is possible with turbos. Why stick with blow through? Everyone thinks blow through is cheaper. By the time you set up your fuel system and carb and everything else it is about the same and the tuning ability is much greater with efi allowing you multiple tunes for differing tracks and conditions.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones November 2nd 2010, 10:19 am

I'm still trying to find a efi setup as cheap as a blow thru carb. $1,300 carb $300 bonnet?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 2nd 2010, 12:57 pm

jones wrote:I'm still trying to find a efi setup as cheap as a blow thru carb. $1,300 carb $300 bonnet?
And I guess you think that is all you need??

That is it if you never want the tuning capabilites and/data logging of efi. Have at it but you better call someone like Steve Morris or some of the other guys in his league or you will burn stuff up in a hurry.

Just remember, your fuel system will be able to run both if you set it up for blow through. Start out with the carb deal and go from there. I have just seen too many guys want to take the "cheap" way out without knowing really anything about these setups and then find out that they want the expanded tuning and logging capability that any efi system has.

I for one have seen a local guy that has a very reputable tuner working with him try his blow through deal for two years now and this winter I am putting a FAST XFI on it because it was too inconsistant. It ran well in Mississippi but when he went to Midland Texas and then back to the DFW Metroplex ( 6000ft difference in DA) he burned pistons because he couldn't tell that it was lean until it was too late.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones November 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm

True, I was just using that as a base example, because the price just goes up from there.

I don't see why the price hasn't dropped on any of these systems yet. Isn't it about time for someone to come out with a new box? If this was a computer in normal standards as development and pricing goes, these box's are 5x over priced. The boxes should be as small as an Iphone and be able to download and upload via bluetooth for the prices being paid. I guess there just isn't competition.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 2nd 2010, 3:18 pm

I agree. The processors in these computers are still large and slow by todays standards. Of course the bulk of the size comes from the circuitry inside. Most all FI systems work by grounding circuits and that makes up most of the insides.

They are smaller than the A9L computers from the earlier mustangs. FI cars do pull a lot of electrical load between the FI system and the MSD plus any other computers that may be on board. That is why a lot of guys including us push the belt driven, cam driven, or oil pump driven fuel pumps. The big electric pumps are electrical hogs.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones November 2nd 2010, 4:38 pm

I don't know if this is true or not. I have had some racers tell me that the BS3 doesn't have as high of a sample rate as the older FAST units. They run the boxes in open loop so it doesn't matter. Then if they are running Alky it really doesn't matter!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jason November 2nd 2010, 7:15 pm

It's alot to think about, and I'm not scared of tuning carb stuff but if it's not close to tuning n/a with the mind set that it's being forced , maybe I'll put a set of boss nine heads on it and shoot for 1100 or 1200 n/a and spray the crap out of it. Everywhere I look efi seems to be alot more money than blow through , well I'm keeping my options open I'm looking at spending around $10,000 . My car is good to 8.50 but I can upgrade that easily enough . One of the guys with the chivys has no clue and he runs a blow through and he can't even read a dip stick let alone a spark plug.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 2nd 2010, 10:22 pm

jones wrote:I don't know if this is true or not. I have had some racers tell me that the BS3 doesn't have as high of a sample rate as the older FAST units. They run the boxes in open loop so it doesn't matter. Then if they are running Alky it really doesn't matter!

The sampling rates are so fast that it really doesn't matter between all of them. we run in closed loop but we are still working on getting good data with our new turbo and the switch to Q16.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  badsnake306 November 4th 2010, 8:30 am

572 cubes+ single precision billet 114mm or turbonetics billet 122mm+36psi of boost= high 7's and straight pooping on those twin turbo chevys lol
matt

badsnake306

Back to top Go down

Post  badsnake306 November 4th 2010, 8:36 am

however you will need to ditch the carb setup and go fuel injection like a big stuff and a air to water intercooler. but you could put a turbo system together for ten grand.

badsnake306

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid November 4th 2010, 3:46 pm

jason wrote: how low can it go on boost to run pump gas for some local car meets and still have the potential to make stupid power?

I haven't seen anybody correct this statement yet. I'll correct it, but stay out of the rest of this conversation Smile.

Boost is made with the airflow created by the turbocharged, but it's controlled (read: limited) with a wastegate. Once the turbo is spooled up and making positive manifold pressure, the wastegate sets the maximum boost pressure. Once the wastegate sees this preset limit, it opens up and allows exhaust gas to bybass the turbine side of the turbocharger. As long as the wastegate can bypass enough air past the turbo, you can run as little boost as you want. If you reach the airflow limits of the wastegate, the turbo will continue spinning faster and faster (more and more boost) until an equalibrium between the turbocharger and wastegate is found. This is commonly called, "Boost Creep".

The EFI vs. carb debate is highly dependant on your expectations. Personally, I'm going blowthru to begin with. Even with my extreme DIY attitude, though, I'm paying the $$$ for a carb built by a known company with proven results. Just like I wouldn't be comfortable putting a Megasquirt V2.0 on a 1,000+ hp engine...

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  WIKDLX February 10th 2011, 11:23 am

whatbumper wrote:Probably too many cubes for a single. especially with a blow through which has a more limited tuning ability.

REALLY? C&S Specialties can build a carb to handle the fuel needed.

as far as tuning, with the right carb it is a piece of cake. once mine was tuned by me on a dyno, about 5 pulls to get it right, the adjustments I made were minor and easy. now, my car was a s/b and only made about 800 to the tires, but this was 4 years ago and technology in carbs is better now than it was then.

for a low budget racer or street deal, I think its the way to go

WIKDLX

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 10th 2011, 11:50 am

WIKDLX wrote:
whatbumper wrote:Probably too many cubes for a single. especially with a blow through which has a more limited tuning ability.

REALLY? C&S Specialties can build a carb to handle the fuel needed.

as far as tuning, with the right carb it is a piece of cake. once mine was tuned by me on a dyno, about 5 pulls to get it right, the adjustments I made were minor and easy. now, my car was a s/b and only made about 800 to the tires, but this was 4 years ago and technology in carbs is better now than it was then.

for a low budget racer or street deal, I think its the way to go

didn't say they couldn't build the carb. Hell, I've seen a 4500 carb with alky work with twin 91's but even they said the tuning window is smaller than with FI. Just my 2 cents from a nobody in Texas. Very Happy

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  WIKDLX February 10th 2011, 3:33 pm

didn't say they couldn't build the carb. Hell, I've seen a 4500 carb with alky work with twin 91's but even they said the tuning window is smaller than with FI. Just my 2 cents from a nobody in Texas. Very Happy [/quote]

you Texas nobodies....I swear...... Smile

WIKDLX

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw February 17th 2011, 11:45 am

im just looking...... Very Happy
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  jason March 27th 2011, 1:59 am

Wow I didn't expect this post to still be here , all helpful I'm still considering a single but I have a standard bolt pattern A-460 block so I don't know how much psi I can run before I shoot the gaskets out of it.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 27th 2011, 3:31 pm

jason wrote:Wow I didn't expect this post to still be here , all helpful I'm still considering a single but I have a standard bolt pattern A-460 block so I don't know how much psi I can run before I shoot the gaskets out of it.

A lot more than you think. The deck is so much better on the bb's than the sb's it's ridiculous.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason March 27th 2011, 6:54 pm

So what's alot more ? I was told 18 or 20 psi , anything more and it won't take it for very long
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 27th 2011, 7:03 pm

20psi with twin 88's on a bbf should run 4.80's easy. How fast you want to go?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jason March 27th 2011, 7:37 pm

4.80s would be good for awhile , is that mid to low 8's in a 1/4 . We don't do any 1/8 here
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 27th 2011, 9:31 pm

I would be thinking that 4.8 would be in the 7.4-7.5 range or faster depending on setup.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next