BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4?

4 posters

Go down

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4? Empty Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4?

Post  jbozzelle August 30th 2009, 11:22 pm

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4?

Are there any particular year Glides that are better than others to use as a starting point for a good build?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4? Empty Re: Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4?

Post  richter69 August 31st 2009, 8:02 am

Glide is shorter.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4? Empty Re: Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4?

Post  David Cole August 31st 2009, 9:47 am

jbozzelle wrote:
Are there any particular year Glides that are better than others to use as a starting point for a good build?

Some of the very early glides in 63-64 used in Impala's had a shorter tailshaft. Tailshaft is 9" vs 13" for all others. The output shaft on these is a coarse spline. 16 spline I think vs the 27 spline on later ones. Avoid the early ones unless you just want the case and aren't going to use the stock gearing and tailshaft.

Look for a 65-73 with a 1.76 gear set. To check you can pull the input shaft and measure it. The 1.76 ratio is 12 7/8" long. The 1.82 ratio uses a 12 5/8" input and is much weaker as the gear carrier is stamped steel vs forged steel. If you going to use an aftermarket straight cut planetary then don't worry about the factory ratio.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle August 31st 2009, 10:28 am

Thanks.

Any idea if one from a 66 C-10 pickup be good to use? It's nearby for sale. I'm going to give the guy a call later today. He's asking $100 for it. He's also got a cast iron one. Are those good for anything?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Is a Glide longer or shorter than a C4? Empty powerglide

Post  85montess August 31st 2009, 10:40 am

There is a good chance that transmission out of the C-10 truck would have the 1.76 gear set and the 100.00 price isn't bad as long as the gear set isn't broken or the case isn't cracked. The 1.82 was used for the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars. Just do what David Cole suggested and pull out the input shaft and measure it to be sure (12 7/8" for the 1.76). Sometimes they will be a little tough to pull out because of the "wedding ring" brass bushing.

The cast iron powerglide would be good for a door stop!
85montess
85montess

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle August 31st 2009, 11:47 am

Thanks Bill. Just found the ad again. he only wants $50 for the glide and a 700R4. How do i tell it's a glide? isn't the side of the case stamped? Please excuse my ignorance on this. This is my first time dealing with a glide.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  85montess August 31st 2009, 8:26 pm

Sometimes the case will have the raised letters on the passenger side saying "Powerglide", but not always. Some items to help in identifying it are the triangular looking servo cover that is bolted on and located under the cooler lines. It also has a screw-in modulator valve on the driver's side rear of the case and the pan is mostly square, but has about a 2" step in it on the rear on one side. Also, you can check the shifter lever and count the clicks (P R N 2 1). Hope that this helps.
85montess
85montess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down