BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing

+16
Gary Blair
342g
Barney
BOSS 429
Lem Evans
Tore
Greg-P
c.evans
66prostreetfairlane
nitrous.f
hdandford
dfree383
bruno
Race Ready Fabrications
Nevs
Kens429
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing - Page 2 Empty Re: My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing

Post  Barney April 13th 2012, 9:58 am

Do you think the use of the customers headers( had they fit on the dyno) would have helped or hurt numbers?
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing - Page 2 Empty Re: My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing

Post  Lem Evans April 13th 2012, 10:56 am

I don't have an opinion on that.....i did not attend the dyno session so I've never seen the other headers.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 13th 2012, 11:00 am

Are you going to be at the track this week Ken, first week of umtr race?
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair April 13th 2012, 10:41 pm

Barney wrote:Do you think the use of the customers headers( had they fit on the dyno) would have helped or hurt numbers?

Pretty hard to top a stepped Fab Shop header. They are top tier for sure. A buddy of mine has a set on a SB2 Bow Tie, best he has ever had.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco April 14th 2012, 10:14 am

Awesome build! Anyway we could get a ball park on cam specs?? I have almost the identical build going together.

Thanks,
Jon
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 15th 2012, 12:26 pm

Hey guys,

Answers to the questions,

1. The question about the vacuum pump not working. First off the owner sent down one of those OEM GM electric vacuum pumps that comes on Cadilacs and Corvettes. I installed it, even though I didn't like it. It gave up the ghost on the dyno Friday (burnt up motor) and we were done at that point. Saturday morning I installed an old Stefs vacuum pump and mandrel that I had laying around. It was much better, HOWEVER if you play and listen to the video of the dyno pull, you will hear the comment made that the vacuum hose was sucked completely closed at the top of the pull. That's because Ken had gone to the hardware store across the road and bought some clear vinyl "fishtank" hose which collapsed.

2. I think Ken's custom headers would have given us a bunch more torque, because their primary pipe length was not nearly as short as the FabShop headers. I own three sets of FabShop headers, and Tim was a good friend of mine and a dealer for my Ford to Chevy header adapters. That being said, I always had a "friendly debate" with him over not making the primaries long enough.

3. The cam specs. It was a custom Comp Cam roller I ordered from Lem years ago. The cam card is not in front of me, but I remember the LSA as being on 113*. We installed it on a 110.5* intake centerline using the over-the-nose method. If my memory is correct, at .050" it in the high 270's/low 280's on the intakes and in the high 290's on the exhaust. I think the lift is in the .750" and slightly higher area. Bottom line is, call Lem for a cam.

We used this same cam in Bobby Shrewsberry's 559 CID P-51 headed engine a couple of years ago, and he made 942 Hp and 777 Tq. Bobby won Super Pro at the Ford Bash in 2010 with that engine.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 15th 2012, 12:44 pm

I figured the headers in the car may make the curve. Little broader. I just noticed that the headers on the dyno looked to be some big SOBs.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 15th 2012, 2:13 pm

The black headers in the picture are 2-1/4" to 2-3/8" step. 31" primary tubes.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 15th 2012, 4:22 pm

I just sold a set like that to Eric for his Ranger. I would imagine the SCJ heads and displacement wil have some more torque with a smaller primary. Should work out good.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 April 15th 2012, 6:59 pm

TOO bad couldnt use the headers that are going on it, on the dyno, those dyno headers will make more power,i bet its 30hp + or - down in the car min,and now will be off tune some for sure. getting a vac pump to work in the car will gain some back tho.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 15th 2012, 8:48 pm

Like I said before, I do not have an opinion of headers that I have never seen. I do remember three years ago when KY Jelly's 562" P51 was dynoed with a real nice set of 2-1/4" headers...after the "mafia" vs ported Victor intake manifold test were completed his hillbilly home made 2-1/4" were tested also...they were down but 6-7 hp as best as I recall. That'd be 6 or 7 HP I'd sure want to get, but some headers or gals aint as bad as they look Wink
Seems the "lawn darts" a get disrespected sometimes , but they sure do let a guy like the late Tim Murphy do their thing.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Kens429 April 17th 2012, 9:53 am

342g wrote:Are you going to be at the track this week Ken, first week of umtr race?

Harold, I won't be racing for about a month yet. The Edgewater schedule for UMTR is not correct. Our first race is May 19. I'll be lucky to have my new trans from G-Force by then. After it comes, I'll have to make the trans tunnel and order a new driveshaft. I'm not going to rush it, but I would like to be ready for the "Bash". I wonder if my buddies 300hp NOS plate kit would put me in the game with the big dogs? affraid

Ken
Kens429
Kens429

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 17th 2012, 10:05 am

Kens429 wrote:
342g wrote:Are you going to be at the track this week Ken, first week of umtr race?

Harold, I won't be racing for about a month yet. The Edgewater schedule for UMTR is not correct. Our first race is May 19. I'll be lucky to have my new trans from G-Force by then. After it comes, I'll have to make the trans tunnel and order a new driveshaft. I'm not going to rush it, but I would like to be ready for the "Bash". I wonder if my buddies 300hp NOS plate kit would put me in the game with the big dogs? affraid

Ken

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 17th 2012, 10:33 am

trans tunnel and order a new driveshaft. I'm not going to rush it, but I would like to be ready for the "Bash". I wonder if my buddies 300hp NOS plate kit would put me in the game with the big dogs? affraid

Ken[/quote]

Ha-ha, funny joke Ken. Laughing Don't even think about nitrous. Evil or Very Mad

If my memory is correct, your instructions were to kill some of the low end torque, because you are a heavy car on a 9" NHRA Stocker tire,,,,, and then give you some high rpm horsepower. That's what we did, compared to other engines of this same nature. Your biggest problem is going to be hookin' that thing up with what you've got. So,,,,,after you and John Calvert solve that problem and you can make repeatable runs with a 4-speed,,,,,then call me if you need any more power.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Kens429 April 17th 2012, 10:45 am

c.evans wrote: trans tunnel and order a new driveshaft. I'm not going to rush it, but I would like to be ready for the "Bash". I wonder if my buddies 300hp NOS plate kit would put me in the game with the big dogs? affraid

Ken

Ha-ha, funny joke Ken. Laughing Don't even think about nitrous. Evil or Very Mad

If my memory is correct, your instructions were to kill some of the low end torque, because you are a heavy car on a 9" NHRA Stocker tire,,,,, and then give you some high rpm horsepower. That's what we did, compared to other engines of this same nature. Your biggest problem is going to be hookin' that thing up with what you've got. So,,,,,after you and John Calvert solve that problem and you can make repeatable runs with a 4-speed,,,,,then call me if you need any more power.

Uncle Charlie[/quote]

Charlie, it was my coffee talking! I am still following the original game plan. I did make it to the semis in the last 10.5 tire Bash race though. These guys would just chew me up!!! Always looking for a pro tree race, just because they are soo much fun.

Ken
Kens429
Kens429

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 17th 2012, 10:45 am

Kens429 wrote:

Ken

Save your money.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 17th 2012, 10:56 am

c.evans wrote: trans tunnel and order a new driveshaft. I'm not going to rush it, but I would like to be ready for the "Bash". I wonder if my buddies 300hp NOS plate kit would put me in the game with the big dogs? affraid

Ken

Uncle Charlie[/quote]

come on Uncle Charlie Sad

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  70CobraSCJ May 5th 2012, 8:36 am

Ken Love your Falcon I saw pics of it somewhere maybe the Torino forum and I used it as my screen saver for awhile.

70CobraSCJ

Back to top Go down

Post  hk9176251 November 27th 2019, 10:10 am

I really like the valve covers

hk9176251

Back to top Go down

My 533 SCJ by Charlie Evans Racing - Page 2 Empty cost

Post  o henry February 21st 2020, 10:15 am

at todays prices how much did you have in cost ,for machine work and engine assembly and dyno time only.

o henry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2