BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ring gear backlash with transbrake

+2
DILLIGASDAVE
swoodman23
6 posters

Go down

ring gear backlash with transbrake Empty ring gear backlash with transbrake

Post  swoodman23 December 29th 2018, 3:12 pm

hi all,
Sorry if this is in wrong place, I saw some rear stuff in here so figured im ok.

anyway, question... Im building a ford 9" center section and want thoughts on backlash. The car is street driven couple thousand miles/year so I plan to use 8620 street gear in it, but it will also be launched off transbrake at times. Ballpark 800+ HP.

my question is, i know what ring gear backlash *SHOULD* be, but should I change this for the transbrake use? In my head it makes sense to make the backlash smaller for less shock on the gears, but there's lots of things in my head that sound good until they come out...

I tried to keep this short but let me know if I left out any important info.

thanks!

swoodman23

Back to top Go down

ring gear backlash with transbrake Empty Re: ring gear backlash with transbrake

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 30th 2018, 7:27 am

IMO using an 8620 street gear with a T-brake + decent power is usually just asking for trouble.

But "it is what it is" so if you're set on using a street gear anyway you could always try setting the backlash anywhere in a range between the gear maker's recommended "tight" number, down to just before finding a real/actual "bind" point when rotating the gear (as long as wear the pattern still looks OK). And then pray.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  swoodman23 December 30th 2018, 10:56 am

ha... i hear you... ive gone back and forth on the gear... use 9310 and check/change it every season... or 8620 and hope it doesnt grenade... ive seen/heard success stories both ways... i could still be talked into either...

thanks!...

swoodman23

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 30th 2018, 11:48 am

.006 - .010" I don't think the street gears will notice the difference between a stock and strip set up.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 31st 2018, 1:35 am

Usually when you go on the transbrake, it takes up all the slack in the driveline, so unless the lash is excessively loose, I dont see it breaking any teeth off the gears.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  swoodman23 December 31st 2018, 9:59 am

hi just as an FYI.... when you footbrake a car, it will take up driveline slack, but when you're using a transbrake - thats not the case. The "lockup" happens in the trans, anything behind trans isnt affected. the rest of the driveline is just kind of hanging out chillin, until you let go of the button....

swoodman23

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 December 31st 2018, 3:03 pm

Wire the Line lock in with the Trans brake to take up the rear slack.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil December 31st 2018, 6:05 pm

The line lock is plumbed only to the front brakes - how can that possibly affect slack in the driveline? I don't think street gears will be an issue, unless the launch RPM is to the moon. 4,000 - 4,500 shouldn't kill it too quick unless you're launching a tank. No change is needed in backlash, IMO.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 31st 2018, 11:52 pm

My TB takes up the slack. Not as much as a footbrake situation, but it does indeed put some slight pressure on it.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 January 1st 2019, 1:11 pm

pmrphil wrote:The line lock is plumbed only to the front brakes - how can that possibly affect slack in the driveline? I don't think street gears will be an issue, unless the launch RPM is to the moon. 4,000 - 4,500 shouldn't kill it too quick unless you're launching a tank. No change is needed in backlash, IMO.

When you roll into the staging lights you apply the brakes, which has taken up ALL the slack in the driveline and with the line lock and Trans brake wired together the line lock holds the car in position while the trans engages reverse. The car doesn't rock because of the sloop in the rear end. Try it you might start to go some rounds.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil January 1st 2019, 4:11 pm

airford1 wrote:
pmrphil wrote:The line lock is plumbed only to the front brakes - how can that possibly affect slack in the driveline? I don't think street gears will be an issue, unless the launch RPM is to the moon. 4,000 - 4,500 shouldn't kill it too quick unless you're launching a tank. No change is needed in backlash, IMO.

When you roll into the staging lights you apply the brakes, which has taken up ALL the slack in the driveline and with the line lock and Trans brake wired together  the line lock holds the car in position while the trans engages reverse. The car doesn't rock because of the sloop in the rear end. Try it you might start to go some rounds.
Sorry, no offense was intended. I race pro-tree class(s) which usually don't afford you the time to firmly set the brakes before applying the brake. I'm fairly certain you know how that works. Oh, BTW, I have won my share of rounds, races, and national events, thanks.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down