BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel???

+4
QtrWarrior
rmk57
BBFTorino
Calkins
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel???

Post  chuck seyler December 28th 2022, 12:56 pm

[quote="BBFTorino"]There was a guy named Chuck Seyler who also ran a Boss 429 Top Fueler in the late 70's to early 80's. But I think he was  self-funded out of his own pocket, so you can imagine that his racing endeavor with the Boss was short lived. [/quote Permit me to straighten this out -  the backstory on the entire situation is we attempted to run the official FORD part numbered block, heads etc. in our families top fuel dragster. After having a block crack (due to a heat treating issue) and an intake manifold implode (due to thin floor of the magnesium manifold) I contacted Nick Arias ll who had a set of patterns and 1 off proof parts in his shop for a full race Boss 429. I knew that the engine had a lot of potential so our family purchased what Nick had. Thus C Seyler Racing Engines and Components, Inc was born. We made twenty total engines (blocks - solid and water jacketed, street and race versions, 11.2 deck and 10.3 deck), heads (2 pairs of billet and 10 pairs of solid and 10 pairs of water jacketed, single plug and dual plug), gear drives, manifolds, valve covers (single plug and dual) etc.. over 300 proprietary pieces per engine) and put the pieces in stock. Everything went well and the business took off. Unfortunately the media called it a FORD or BOSS 429 when in fact we called it the Boss of Bosses and trademarked it as such, we were warned by FORD we couldn’t call it a FORD or BOSS 429. Finally I was sent a letter threatening a lawsuit if we didn’t cease and desist immediately. The project was shut down and after about four months everything was sold to Carroll Carter of C&C Motorsports. While we owned the project we ran the engine in top fuel cars built by our chassis shop. I had tuning help from Sid Waterman as well as Lance Larsen and Richard Hogan at different times as my co-tuner.

chuck seyler

QtrWarrior and jeffgfg like this post

Back to top Go down

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel???

Post  chuck seyler December 28th 2022, 12:59 pm

Calkins wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a guy named Chuck Seyler who also ran a Boss 429 Top Fueler in the late 70's to early 80's. But I think he was  self-funded out of his own pocket, so you can imagine that his racing endeavor with the Boss was short lived.

Good call!!!  I found a few listings on Drag List.  These were with Al McFadyen as the driver.  Photos are from 1986, 1988, and 1991.  It is quoted as the world's quickest and fastest "True Ford Powered" car, with Alan Root power.

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1986_a10
Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1988_n10
Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1991_a10
Permit me to straighten this out -  the backstory on the entire situation is we attempted to run the official FORD part numbered block, heads etc. in our families top fuel dragster. After having a block crack (due to a heat treating issue) and an intake manifold implode (due to thin floor of the magnesium manifold) I contacted Nick Arias ll who had a set of patterns and 1 off proof parts in his shop for a full race Boss 429. I knew that the engine had a lot of potential so our family purchased what Nick had. Thus C Seyler Racing Engines and Components, Inc was born. We made twenty total engines (blocks - solid and water jacketed, street and race versions, 11.2 deck and 10.3 deck), heads (2 pairs of billet and 10 pairs of solid and 10 pairs of water jacketed, single plug and dual plug), gear drives, manifolds, valve covers (single plug and dual) etc.. over 300 proprietary pieces per engine) and put the pieces in stock. Everything went well and the business took off. Unfortunately the media called it a FORD or BOSS 429 when in fact we called it the Boss of Bosses and trademarked it as such, we were warned by FORD we couldn’t call it a FORD or BOSS 429. Finally I was sent a letter threatening a lawsuit if we didn’t cease and desist immediately. The project was shut down and after about four months everything was sold to Carroll Carter of C&C Motorsports. While we owned the project we ran the engine in top fuel cars built by our chassis shop. I had tuning help from Sid Waterman as well as Lance Larsen and Richard Hogan at different times as my co-tuner.

chuck seyler

4speed390 and Calkins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Calkins December 28th 2022, 1:08 pm

Thank You for joining in on this thread Chuck!  I am glad that you were able to set the record straight for us.

I found this decal on ebay last week.  It will most likely find it's way on my tool box when I get my car finished.

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 S-l16010
Calkins
Calkins

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 December 28th 2022, 4:30 pm

https://www.dragzine.com/news/restoration-done-right-ohio-georges-twin-turbo-funny-car/

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 28th 2022, 4:47 pm

chuck seyler wrote:
Calkins wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a guy named Chuck Seyler who also ran a Boss 429 Top Fueler in the late 70's to early 80's. But I think he was  self-funded out of his own pocket, so you can imagine that his racing endeavor with the Boss was short lived.

Good call!!!  I found a few listings on Drag List.  These were with Al McFadyen as the driver.  Photos are from 1986, 1988, and 1991.  It is quoted as the world's quickest and fastest "True Ford Powered" car, with Alan Root power.

Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1986_a10
Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1988_n10
Who Ran A Boss 429 In Top Fuel??? - Page 2 1991_a10
Permit me to straighten this out -  the backstory on the entire situation is we attempted to run the official FORD part numbered block, heads etc. in our families top fuel dragster. After having a block crack (due to a heat treating issue) and an intake manifold implode (due to thin floor of the magnesium manifold) I contacted Nick Arias ll who had a set of patterns and 1 off proof parts in his shop for a full race Boss 429. I knew that the engine had a lot of potential so our family purchased what Nick had. Thus C Seyler Racing Engines and Components, Inc was born. We made twenty total engines (blocks - solid and water jacketed, street and race versions, 11.2 deck and 10.3 deck), heads (2 pairs of billet and 10 pairs of solid and 10 pairs of water jacketed, single plug and dual plug), gear drives, manifolds, valve covers (single plug and dual) etc.. over 300 proprietary pieces per engine) and put the pieces in stock. Everything went well and the business took off. Unfortunately the media called it a FORD or BOSS 429 when in fact we called it the Boss of Bosses and trademarked it as such, we were warned by FORD we couldn’t call it a FORD or BOSS 429. Finally I was sent a letter threatening a lawsuit if we didn’t cease and desist immediately. The project was shut down and after about four months everything was sold to Carroll Carter of C&C Motorsports. While we owned the project we ran the engine in top fuel cars built by our chassis shop. I had tuning help from Sid Waterman as well as Lance Larsen and Richard Hogan at different times as my co-tuner.
Thank you Mr. Seyler for telling us the rest of the story! I only posted what I had read about your efforts maybe 25-30 years ago. There was not a lot of information about your racing success, and probably even less today. Thus, I may have got some of it wrong.
What was the best ET / MPH that you got from that combo? How competitive was it against the 'standard' Top Fuel engines of the time?
Welcome to this site!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2